PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot Jaunty Live CD

kilgore9
June 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop. I have an Ubuntu 9.04 CD and would like to try it out before installing it. It says to put the disk in the drive and restart the computer, and a menu should come up giving me the option to try ubuntu or install it. Rebooting with the CD in the drive just boots up my normal ubuntu 8.04, nothing different.

Is there another way to run 9.04 from the live CD?

presence1960
June 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
go into BIOS and make sure your optical drive is set as first boot in the boot order. If it already is set that way you may have a bad burn. Did you burn at the slowest speed and to a CD-R?

kilgore9
June 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey thanks! it was the bios. The CD is from Ubuntu, not one I burned myself, with original cd jacket and everything :=).

So far it seems nice... wireless works right away, not the weeks of torment like with 8.04. we'll see if I switch,,, :)

presence1960
June 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hey thanks! it was the bios. The CD is from Ubuntu, not one I burned myself, with original cd jacket and everything :=).

So far it seems nice... wireless works right away, not the weeks of torment like with 8.04. we'll see if I switch,,, :)

In my opinion 9.04 rocks. Ext 4 is super fast especially on boot and shut down. My suspend and hibernate never worked in 8.04 & 8.10. I tried all the fixes in these forums but still never worked. I installed 9.04 and they worked right out of the box. Amazing!

Since you have the 9.04 CD I would recommend doing a clean install with the CD versus the upgrade from your current version. If you scour the forums you will find a lot of people having problems with the upgrade process to 9.04. I would avoid that at all costs.

kilgore9
June 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I also have not been able to get sleep and hibernate to work with 8.04... I will try with the live CD!
from 8.04 the upgrade is not possible, so a clean install is my only option.
Nice to hear some good words about 8.04, scouring the forums it would seem as though everyone is dissatisfied!

presence1960
June 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Nice to hear some good words about 8.04, scouring the forums it would seem as though everyone is dissatisfied!

Most of the dissatisfied are those who chose to use the upgrade process. For whatever reason the upgrade process to 9.04 is not hitting the mark. Like I said I would avoid upgrading like the plague & do a clean install. The only major problem I know of is no support for AMD/Intel vid cards. I am sure there are other minor complaints, as always when something is first rolled out there will be bugs.

kilgore9
June 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
No support for intel??

I have Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M, does that mean it won't work? It works fine with 8.04....
Is there any way to test this with the live CD?