PDA

View Full Version : Best digi media player 4 Linux?

D1ZZ4ZZT3R
June 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM
soooo, i really like the ipod touch. i had it. i also had it with it not working on my computer. that's the short story.

what i'd like from you friendly folks are your suggestions for a digital media (mp3) player that works super swell in linux.

thanks!

ps i should mention, i was using itunes on my windows drive.

YldGuy
June 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
soooo, i really like the ipod touch. i had it. i also had it with it not working on my computer. that's the short story.

what i'd like from you friendly folks are your suggestions for a digital media (mp3) player that works super swell in linux.

thanks!

ps i should mention, i was using itunes on my windows drive.

Banshee / Sunbird

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
unfortunately, you won't find a direct replacement for it, but others will post software that's close.

my suggestion is to run a virtual machine of XP (or whatever your previous windows install was) and run iTunes from it.

Lampi
June 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
From my experience it's always good to have a player that identifies itself to linux as usb mass storage device. This is what my SE handy does and it's just awesome. Udev does the job - zero problems to load and sync witch whatever application I want to use - amarok is my first choice, but you can even choose midnight commander to fill it up , write an rsync shell script and so on.

meeples
June 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
im confused. do you want to know of media playing SOFTWARE, or do you want an mp4 player?

sim-value
June 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
He wants hardware ...

meeples
June 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
righhht.

well i personally am going to buy one of the rockbox supported players. because i really really want rockbox :D

and rockbox works amazing in linux, because i think it is linux.

steev182
June 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sony is apparently working on an Android based media player.

This will probably end up being the closest Linux based competitor to the iPod Touch.

insane_alien
June 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
if you like the ipod touch, try the iaudio s9 from cowon. i have one and it is pretty similar looking. also, because it uses a different touch screen technology(and i argue better) you don't need to take your gloves off to use it in winter :P

steev182
June 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Does that mean you need to use your finger nail/stylus instead of your finger?

geoken
June 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM

This will probably end up being the closest Linux based competitor to the iPod Touch.

I was just going to say HTC Magic. I have a G1 and it's the best Linux compatible Mp3 player I ever used. It appears as a regular USB storage device and it recognizes m3u files in the music directory (aka. it has playlist support in UMS mode).

3rdalbum
June 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Are you sure about that? They've just released their new touch-screen OLED-displayed Walkman in some parts of the world, to compete directly with the iPod Touch.

For some dumb reason, they've not only made it more expensive in the US than the iPod Touch; but in the countries they are yet to release it in the price is WAAAY higher than the Touch. So high, in fact, that I simply can't justify buying one (and I'm a huge fan of the earlier Walkman MP3 players).

If even Sony's fans can't justify the expense, and the ordinary consumer thinks all MP3 players are called "iPods", then who exactly is going to buy it?

The current crop of Walkmans (non-touch-screen) are excellent though, and realistically priced. The reason why iPods are so cheap is because Apple sets their RRP to 5% above the retailer's cost; that's simply dirty. You'll pay a little more for a Walkman, but you're getting true quality in every sense of the word. Linux-compatible, too (although Gnome has partially broken support; a workaround is available or you can use KDE).

If you were talking about music players for Linux, then I generally use Rhythmbox, but I also recommend Exaile. There's a massive number of music players for Linux so if neither of these fits you then you've got plenty to try.

madjr
June 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
sandisk

check some of em at amazon

D1ZZ4ZZT3R
June 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
wow, leave a thread for the night and see what happens! i'm on break now and, about to head back to work but, i'll definitely check out the suggestions later.

thanks!

and yes, i returned the ipod.

D1ZZ4ZZT3R
June 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
the HTC looks sweet but, it's a phone. i've got one of those. and i don't think i can use it with cricket. also, i don't exactly trust google. also, it says you need windows. i guess that's not entirely accurate. the sandisk ones looked alright. the cowon one looks good, too. i guess i'll wait and see what sony comes up with.

thanks, everyone!