PDA

View Full Version : Guys I need some advice

3startuna
June 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Ok so I'm developing a e-commerce website and I need some advice on hosting.

Its going to be a heavy php and Mysql website so i need something with decent speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good hosting company? I need one with root access or that offers mysql, apache and php already installed. I also want a linux server.

Im debating whether to pay for vps hosting or if I should build a server and do my own hosting.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

3startuna
June 10th, 2009, 06:21 AM
anyone? anyone?

LookTJ
June 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM
anyone? anyone?
Patience friend.

I would suggest a home server, but first what is your upload speed?

ugm6hr
June 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Also - what country would you like the hosting in?

It doesn't make a lot of difference, but if people search Google with a national filter, it will only list servers with IPs from that country.

u-g offers discounts at fivebean - seen the Community Market for details.

3startuna
June 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Patience friend.

I would suggest a home server, but first what is your upload speed?

Currently upload is approx 1.7-2 Mb/s

Also - what country would you like the hosting in?

It doesn't make a lot of difference, but if people search Google with a national filter, it will only list servers with IPs from that country.

u-g offers discounts at fivebean - seen the Community Market for details.

I'd be doing it in the US. Since im just starting out, staying within the US and canada would be easier logistically speaking

3startuna
June 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
bump

AlexC_
June 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Linode (http://www.linode.com/?r=45fa7ef125763e4730c86547a4b8c628875b0ac9) is a fantastic VPS host, really advise them if you're after a VPS.

You mentioned root access, well you're only going to get that with a VPS or dedicated box, no way are you getting root on shared hosting.

dmizer
June 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The more trafic you get, the more of a target you are likely to be. And if you are a commerce site, you'll have credit card data to attract the bad guys. So unless you're extremely confident in your ability to keep your own server locked down and safe from attack, I suggest you let someone else worry about that.

Also, with a commerce site, you'll need to have a security certificate for https, and unless you sign your own (which doesn't look legitimate), you'll have to pay for that anyway, might as well pay an extra few bucks to go with complete hosting.

3startuna
June 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
yeah Ive been considering that.

Thats a major advantage to online hosting. Plus the added reliability of always being up.

thanks for the advice im going to investigate the companies posted.