PDA

View Full Version : Opera WTF were you thinking?

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Opera developed this really cool browser. It has some really nice features. It even has a built in email, and torrent client, how cool. One gigantic problem though. Every time I compose an email with it, it tries to attach this stupid ad to it.
" --
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/"

So I have to delete that every time I compose an email. Because this is so inconveinient I don't use the mail client anymore. Because my browser now has an email client attached to it that I don't use, I don't use the browser anymore. Congrats Opera! You ruined a really nice browser, and lost a user, over one stupid aggravating ad.

Skripka
June 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Opera developed this really cool browser. It has some really nice features. It even has a built in email, and torrent client, how cool. One gigantic problem though. Every time I compose an email with it, it tries to attach this stupid ad to it.
" --
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/"

So I have to delete that every time I compose an email. Because this is so inconveinient I don't use the mail client anymore. Because my browser now has an email client attached to it that I don't use, I don't use the browser anymore. Congrats Opera! You ruined a really nice browser, and lost a user, over one stupid aggravating ad.

Conversely, I'd question you dropping what you describe as a really cool browser--on account of an ad, or on account of a mail client you no longer use.

PS-gripe over at the Opera boards, if you want a fix to your problem.

-grubby
June 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
You can change that.

1: Right click on 'mail for X'
2: Select 'properties'
3: Select the 'outgoing' tab.
4: Change the text in 'signature.'

y6FgBn)~v
June 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Here is the solution (http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/operaM2/emailSignature.cwd).

And it is a really nice browser ;)

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Conversely, I'd question you dropping what you describe as a really cool browser--on account of an ad, or on account of a mail client you no longer use.

Why would you question it? The second I had to keep deleting that ad from my emails it ceased to be cool. Why would I want to use a browser, that's dragging a dead mail client along with it? One of the main reasons I liked it was because of the mail client. If I wasn't going to use it, why would I keep the browser? Anyways I had no Idea this could be fixed, and it is great news. If I wouldn't have griped about it here. I wouldn't have known I could fix it. Thanks grubby-

Mateo
June 10th, 2009, 03:09 AM
cravings getting to your emotions :) joking.

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
cravings getting to your emotions

Maybe that's why it pissed me off so much! :x

amitabhishek
June 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I actually like that footer in my mails...its kind of 'cool'... :)

SupaSonic
June 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
A browser should just be a browser. Remember the days when, say, Nero was used to burn CDs? Now you can all but launch nuclear missles with that thing. Opera is heading down that path as well.

CJ Master
June 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Remember the days when, say, Nero was used to burn CDs? Now you can all but launch nuclear missles with that thing.

Sit tight, that's coming next version.

BlazeFire247
June 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I agree, Opera shouldn't put a ad on their mail client automatically, with some users not knowing it was part of their signature.

CrazyArcher
June 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I actually like that footer in my mails...its kind of 'cool'... :)

I like it too. I think it's a way to give more publicity to this overlooked browser.

As for the supposed feature bloat - it's a matter of taste. I like being able to do almost all net-related tasks with the same application. Mail, RSS, IRC all in one window, just under diferent tabs - I think that's cool. I would understand if it was putting heavy load on the system resources - but it really doesn't.

KiwiNZ
June 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have moved off topic and sniping posts from this thread ( to the jail) .

Please stay on topic or this thread will be closed

speedwell68
June 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
There was a time that Opera had full on banner ads on the toolbar that used to change every 10 seconds.

samjh
June 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Anyways I had no Idea this could be fixed, and it is great news. If I wouldn't have griped about it here. I wouldn't have known I could fix it. Thanks grubby-

Aside from it being "fixable", remember that Opera is provided free-of-charge. It's quite reasonable that a freeware product includes a little bit of self-promotion, which doesn't hurt anyone.

I recall Hotmail and Yahoo Mail including those kinds of ads in their email service. Lots of anti-virus programs attach ads to emails too. It's certainly not unique to Opera.

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Aside from it being "fixable", remember that Opera is provided free-of-charge. It's quite reasonable that a freeware product includes a little bit of self-promotion, which doesn't hurt anyone.

I recall Hotmail and Yahoo Mail including those kinds of ads in their email service. Lots of anti-virus programs attach ads to emails too. It's certainly not unique to Opera.

Yeah, they can call it reasonable, and it's their right to do so. I just won't use it. That's my right. Just like I wouldn't use Limewire because of their ads.

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
A browser should just be a browser. Remember the days when, say, Nero was used to burn CDs? Now you can all but launch nuclear missles with that thing. Opera is heading down that path as well.

I would agree with this most of the time, but usually all in one programs are slow, and clunky. You can't even tell Opera is carrying the extra weight.

Swagman
June 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Blackberries do that as well.

Sign of KewlNess ?

pookiebear
June 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
blackberries do nothing well. The only thing cool was MDS through BES. Which got you out of buying a data plan. Now for the cost of a BES server I can buy 3 years of a data plan. I will take a pass and use an iphone or winmob phone. Don't ge tme started! I support 1000's of smartphones, by far the most troublesome are the blackberries and all the software that is a big failure.

Opera however has a great product. If they would get their act together on their phone browser as it is still buggy that would be nice.

SupaSonic
June 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I would agree with this most of the time, but usually all in one programs are slow, and clunky. You can't even tell Opera is carrying the extra weight.

How could you tell? You can't possibly run it without these built-in features. A more modular design would be ok in my book.

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
How could you tell?

Compared to other browsers.

SupaSonic
June 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Compared to other browsers.

Opera is pretty fast. But it could be even faster/more lightweight if you could choose to remove these features. From a coding point of view, it's better design as well.

I think Opera is a nice browser, but i can't think the same about its mail and torrent clients. So far it's sustainable, but i can see them adding more and more stuff in the future. Or maybe I'm wrong and Opera will only get faster with each release, we'll just have to wait and see.

growled
June 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Opera may be cool, it may look good, and it may be fast, but it doesn't work right on many of the web sites I go to, so I don't use it.

3rdalbum
June 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I've just started using Opera - I like it. I didn't even know it had a mail client built-in. Now that I look in "Tools" I find where I can get at it :-) And, holy shed, it has an IRC and Usenet client built-in. What about that!

infestor
June 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
year is 2009,
Opera still doesnt have autocomplete* for text fields. WTF opera?

*: like this: http://webscripts.softpedia.com/screenshots/Free-Auto-Complete-Form-City-Field_1.png

collinp
June 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Its easily removable by editing what goes into your signature.

Opera is a really great browser and overall platform. Very fast, and it has its own support for widgets. It dosen't suck in any way (its much better than IE :P), even though its closed source. Its up there with Firefox and the others in browserdom. Saying that a browser sucks over a subfeature and somehting that you can remove easily at that is not very good.

Pogeymanz
June 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Opera only included the torrent and IRC stuff because it was easy to include and they already had most of the tools coded in from the browser and mail parts. I don't have a link, but I read that on the Opera forums, I think.

I don't use the added stuff, even though I actually really like the Opera Mail feature. But since I always flip between Opera and Firefox, I just use Claws Mail. But this topic makes me want to use Opera Mail again, especially because version 10 has a lot of new features.

I don't like the torrent and IRC tools at all, though. But if you disable them, I can't imagine it hinders performance except for a few kilobytes of disk space...