PDA

View Full Version : Netbeans IDE for Python (Early Access)

Jimleko211
June 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hey, I've decided to try to pick up Python since it seems to be preferred for Linux programming and I like the simplicity of the syntax. However, for the entire year I've been using Netbeans with Java, because of my programming class in school. I love Netbeans, it does a great job.

So I heard that Netbeans can support Python now, and I installed that on my laptop expecting it to be a plugin of some sort. Apparantly it installed a whole different instance of Netbeans, with just Python support.

That's fine, except that on the Applications window, they're both listed as "NetBeans IDE 6.5", and there is no way to tell the difference. At the very least, could someone tell me how to edit the name of an application on the window, and at the most tell me how to get Python to run as a plugin for NetBeans 6.5?

Thanks in advance!\\:D/

mzi
June 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Select the "Plugins" item in the "Tools" menu of your main netbeans installation. This lets you select the python environment and install it.

froggyswamp
June 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Right-click the main menu -> Edit Menus -> (left window) Applications -> Programming -> (right window) select desired NetBeans entry and click the "Properties" button. Change name, Close, Close.

myle
June 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Does it support Python 3?