PDA

View Full Version : Making money for Ubuntu

deathsshadow77
June 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm sure all of you have checked out "Ubuntu One." After seeing this I was skeptical about how well it would do since it seems very similar to dropbox. Anyway, I began thinking. What would be a great way for Ubuntu to raise money? I'm sure it would be great to have more developers and stuff but as of right now I have yet to think up an awesome service that would make money for Ubuntu. I decided to post here because I would love to hear ideas.

Tibuda
June 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
The Canonical shop?

mxboy15u
June 10th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I would love for Canonical to develop computer specific distros (that 100% work in every way out of the box) and possibly sell them, either to OEMs or to individuals. I know I would pay some money to get a perfectly working version of Ubuntu and not have spent all that time researching fixes for my last installs. See my idea in my signature.

deathsshadow77
June 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM
pretty cool idea but I dont think it will ever be picked up. There are going to be paid apps in the appcenter right? Is canonical going to make a profit from this?

jbruced
June 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Canonical has made such a tremendous amount of noise and penetration into the market.

I'd like to see it all happen soon, like you, and realistically, they have done a fantastic job at fighting a giant.

Ubuntu is David, M$ is Goliath, but the present world won't follow that story, it'll play out its own story over time.

I have a lot of faith in what Canonical is doing. I help a liitle on the forums when I can, so I feel I'm a small part of this movement, but keep in mind, Canonical is a profit seeking company(rightly so), so its not a fairy tail.

Most here are satisfied that thier stuff doesn't get viruses, lock up, slow to a crawl etc. I've decided I'm satisfied with that, and hope for more to join.

MAZDA
December 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
The bigest problem from my side of view for Ubuntu and Canonical is that they just dont provide the Products, Solutions and services that we all want !

Ubuntu and Canonical dont work and think enoght comercial !

I am a long year ubuntu user and i love the ubuntu community and the ubuntu server product from Canonical !

My problem with Canonical and Ubuntu is that they just dont enoght listen to there Customers and Users how to make Money.

Look only this Product here !
http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=532

First where is the Feedback button for this support Package so People like me how are interessted to buy this can say what they think !
Is Canonical not interested to know what People think about her Products ?

Second why does Canonical/Ubuntu provide Telephone Support for this Product?
Does this Option really everybody need how want to buy this Product ?

I itself dont need Telephone Support !
I itslef as a example just need a cheap and simple email support package for my ubuntu server for answering software configuration question that i have when installing something new once per Year in about two to three days.

That is the only thing what i want and i am sure a lot of other People too!

Why does Canonical dont provide this ? The Manpower and Knoweldge is availble. Is it becouse Canonical dont want to make money ?

From my experience till yet with Canonical i came to the conclusion that they just provide to expensive non used Products !

The big question that Canonical has to Answer is what does People really want and what they are able to pay for it !

The Answer to this Question from Canonical i didnt have seen till yet !

The Canonical Shop with the Ubuntu Products is from my side of View a Joke. A Shop with expensive nonusable Products can not make proftable sells.

Ubuntu/Canonical has to sell cheap Products and Services with less complicated products and it will earn heavy money !

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 11:00 PM
The bigest problem from my side of view for Ubuntu and Canonical is that they just dont provide the Products, Solutions and services that we all want !

Ubuntu and Canonical dont work and think enoght comercial !

I am a long year ubuntu user and i love the ubuntu community and the ubuntu server product from Canonical !

My problem with Canonical and Ubuntu is that they just dont enoght listen to there Customers and Users how to make Money.

First where is the Feedback button for this support Package so People like me how are interessted to buy this can say what they think !

Second why does Canonical/Ubuntu provide Telephone Support for this Product?
Does this Option really everybody need how want to buy this Product ?

I itself dont need Telephone Support !
I itslef as a example just need a cheap and simple email support package for my ubuntu server for answering software configuration question that i have when installing something new once per Year in about two to three days.

That is the only thing what i want and i am sure a lot of other People too!

Why does Canonical dont provide this ? The Manpower and Knoweldge is availble. Is it becouse Canonical dont want to make money ?

From my experience till yet with Canonical i came to the conclusion that they just provide to expensive non used Products !

The big question that Canonical has to Answer is what does People really want and what they are able to pay for it !

The Answer to this Question from Canonical i didnt have seen till yet !

The Canonical Shop with the Ubuntu Products is from my side of View a Joke. A Shop with expensive nonusable Products can not make proftable sells.

Ubuntu/Canonical has to sell cheap Products and Services with less complicated products and it will earn heavy money !

!

t0p
December 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
MAZDA: How do you know that no one wants Canonical's support packages or other products? Just because it isn't what you want, doesn't mean there aren't customers out there. I personally haven't seen anything that says how many support customrs Canonical has, or how much money they are making. Have you?

Maybe Canonical doesn't offer the support package that you'd like because they don't think there's a large enough market to make it viable. If you think there's a gap in the market, you could always tell Canonical about it. Posting in these forums is not the way to tell Canonical anything. You need to contact them direct.

Okay, go to that page you linked to. See where it says "Ubuntu for server support"? Look at the column to the right and look down a few lines. See that link? The one in red letters, next to the mail symbol? It says "Contact Us" and takes you to a contact form. You want to tell Canonical about the product, there's your communication channel.

cariboo
December 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
Have a look here (http://www.workswithu.com/the-works-with-u-1000/) for commercial enterprises that use Ubuntu, and pay for support.

sudoer541
December 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Have a look here (http://www.workswithu.com/the-works-with-u-1000/) for commercial enterprises that use Ubuntu, and pay for support.

I never knew the University of Toronto had Ubuntu, as well as the Ontario bran injury association thanks for the link.

XubuRoxMySox
December 22nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I'd like to see them offer a search tool like the one Linux Mint uses to raise funds for their projects. But be forthright with it, so users who want to support Ubuntu using the Google search tool could choose it and install it.

-Robin