PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] linux-headers-generic, etc., won't upgrade

lesterness
June 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
linux-headers-generic, linux-image-generic, linux-restricted-modules-generic, won't upgrade, although everything else does. Why? What should I do?

lesterness

ptn107
June 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
The latest stable kernel update for Ubuntu is 2.6.28-11.42 and modules are 2.6.28-11.15. Check your version numbers with:

dpkg -l | grep linux-
Your packages may not even need to be upgraded. Did an apt-get [dist-]upgrade fail? You could force install the package with:

sudo apt-get install <package>

sotvomike
June 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I am having the very same problem. Today my desktop upgraded to 13 while my laptop is still stick at 11. When I looked at the desktop this morning, Update Manager was already open telling me there was an upgrade available. When I open my laptop and run Update Manager, it says my system is up to date. I run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and it says there is nothing to update/upgrade.

ptn107
June 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Make sure the jaunty-proposed repository in Software Sources is NOT checked. Those packages are still being tested out. Unless you like fixing things you shouldn't install software from that repository.

sotvomike
June 19th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Well, I don't know what is up with this, but just right now I powered up my laptop and started Update Manager. It said my computer was up to date. I clicked CHECK and then there they were, the linux generic kernel updates. Oh well, who knows?