PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brand New Noob, ready for the plunge

mfer
June 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
All-

I've finally decided to go ubuntu. I've got an old sony vaio that has a 1GB memory limit and XP + other apps just can't keep up any more. So I'm taking all my files off that I can and am going to wipe the HD. I've done this numberous times for windows installs, but never for ubuntu. I know what to expect with windows so I have a few questions that I hope to have answered before I start.

1. Do I have to wipe and HD first to install ubuntu? Will it make a difference in performance?
2. If I have to wipe it first, is there any particular form I need to burn the CD (ico, etc)
3. I understand most drivers for sounds, video, etc are already built into the disk, but if not there, how do I get the drivers for stuff that is missing?

Thanks in advance.

mick222
June 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
you dont need to wipe the disc ubuntu will format it for you . what is the spec of your computer.

theozzlives
June 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM
You might wanna delete your XP partition. During install, choose "Manual" instead of "guided use whole disk". You'll want to create a Root partition (/) of at least 10-20 GB, then a swap as logical of at least 1 GB (some say 2), then the rest for /home (I make mine primary, some do logical) as that's where all your docs and settings will be stored. You'll be glad you made a separate /home later.

Try out the Live CD and see if everything works "out of the box".

EDIT: Oh and welcome :-)!