PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing "Stalls" on Dell Optiplex gx520

WJerauld
June 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hello all ubuntu users!

I am fairly new to ubuntu but I have to say I have used it for a couple months now.
I realized that I did not want Windows XP because it was too annoying trying to get a cracked copy, blah blah blah. So I wiped my hard drive (Nothing special AT ALL on it) and tried to install ubuntu on it. When the computer starts up, I press f12, and that takes me to the boot menu. I press "Boot from CD-ROM drive" and everythings working fine, it boots up to the menu were I first choose my language. I have a Dell OptiPlex Gx520, with 512mb of ram, and a 70gb hard drive. I think it's a 3mhz processor, so theres no reason this problem should be happening. PROBLEM: I press "Install Ubuntu" and I wait. Keep on waiting. Ive waited for 30 minutes. NOTHING. It just keeps me at the menu. Nothings happening. I have tried this with 3 different Ubuntu 9.04 disks. I dont get it. I am VERY frustrated because I dont understand this. Could it be a bad burn? Im not sure, but I did try it with 3 different disks.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help,
Will Jerauld

Partyboi2
June 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Hi, have you checked the cd for defects? It is one of the options at the main menu. Another thing you could try is the alternate cd (http://noncdn.releases.ubuntu.com/jaunty/).
It seemed to work for this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989449) person.

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Hey man! thanks for responding by the way. Ok, about your, "Check the disk for defects" thing, each time I choose ONE option at the menu, it freezes, nothing happens. so therefore, I cannot check the disk for defects. that was one thing that I wanted to do though. I guess I check out that alternate cd thing. Thanks man, I'll try it out and get back to you

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Hey man! thanks for responding by the way. Ok, about your, "Check the disk for defects" thing, each time I choose ONE option at the menu, it freezes, nothing happens. so therefore, I cannot check the disk for defects. that was one thing that I wanted to do though. I guess I check out that alternate cd thing. Thanks man, I'll try it out and get back to you

Did you md5sum the iso against the Ubuntu hashes? you may have a corrupted iso or a bad burn on your CD.

here's the link for hashes : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

how to MD5SUM : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:10 AM
hmmm. never heard of hashes before. they're like defects or errors? alright, well im currently burning my alternate disk and learning how to md5sum. thanks for the reply dude, ill get back to you in a few minutes. oh and what happens when I use MD5sum to compare hashes, and it says they're the same? what does that mean. sorry, im a complete noob

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM
hmmm. never heard of hashes before. they're like defects or errors? alright, well im currently burning my alternate disk and learning how to md5sum. thanks for the reply dude, ill get back to you in a few minutes. oh and what happens when I use MD5sum to compare hashes, and it says they're the same? what does that mean. sorry, im a complete noob

you want them to be exactly the same. if they are not exactly the same your iso is no good.

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:18 AM
im really sorry for my dumb confusion, but I just dont understand how this will help me

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:19 AM
you want them to be exactly the same. if they are not exactly the same your iso is no good.

Ohhhhhh, ok! thanks dude, yeah, they are the same with the "alternate" verion .iso. so that means everything should be fine?

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Ohhhhhh, ok! thanks dude, yeah, they are the same with the "alternate" verion .iso. so that means everything should be fine?

yes ready to rock 'n roll!

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:28 AM
hell yeah man, just finished the burn at 5X speed. going to try it now!! goodbye to windows hehehehehe cause linux rocks

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:35 AM
wait a minute, I THINK ITS WORKIN!! it's not like the original install process though, man, I OWE YOU SO MUCH. been trying to go all-ubuntu forever, yet this problem continued! thanks dude, I give you much props for this, and I guess i'll have fun with Ubuntu! btw, is it normal if the install process is like windows-type? cause its alternate? everythings fine =)

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:37 AM
omg dude, there was an error. my luck. umm it says its unable to copy a file from the cd. -.- kinof getting frustrated over the MILLION TIMES IVE HAD RANDOM ERRORS

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:38 AM
wait a minute, I THINK ITS WORKIN!! it's not like the original install process though, man, I OWE YOU SO MUCH. been trying to go all-ubuntu forever, yet this problem continued! thanks dude, I give you much props for this, and I guess i'll have fun with Ubuntu! btw, is it normal if the install process is like windows-type? cause its alternate? everythings fine =)

the alternate is different from the Live CD in that it is text based. Enjoy Ubuntu!

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:39 AM
omg dude, there was an error. my luck. umm it says its unable to copy a file from the cd. -.- kinof getting frustrated over the MILLION TIMES IVE HAD RANDOM ERRORS

click retry if that option is given. have had that happen once in a while and retry does the trick

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM
retryed. got the same error. INSTANTLY. man im so pissed. I tried again and it froze, wouldnt let me move up or down and when I try i get a beep. Im at the point where im going to friggin bash the computer into the wall because it hasnt been able to do things

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM
NOW ITS SAYING -WHEN I TRY TO BOOT FROM THE CD- THAT THE BOOT DEVICE ISNT AVAILABLE!!!. omg dude screw my life, always SOMETHING that happens. I just want UBUNTU. why does it have to be such a pain in the ***?!?!

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 03:50 AM
retryed. got the same error. INSTANTLY. man im so pissed. I tried again and it froze, wouldnt let me move up or down and when I try i get a beep. Im at the point where im going to friggin bash the computer into the wall because it hasnt been able to do things

Take the CD out and make sure it is clean, maybe wipe it down to be sure. Try again and if it happens again try "retry", if it happens again after that on the same file try "skip" and see if the install goes on.

P.S. sometimes it is beneficial to walk away for a while if you are that upset. Relax for a while then come back to it.

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Please get anyone to try and help. NOW, THIS TIME, when I press "Install Ubuntu" it freezes like the same error! wow! what do you know! im will, so thats always supposed to happen to me. GODGODGOD

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I don't think they give me a "Skip" option. And dude, screw this. This will never be able to run Ubuntu "Like it used too" because in this time everythings just crapping up. Honestly, I have complete assureness that everytime i will try and install ubuntu, it wont work. CAUSE ITS HAPPENED TO ME 8 MILLION TIMES

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 04:00 AM
well, i got to go to bed now, 5.5 days of middle school left. thanks for you help. I'll try 1 last time tomorrow and if it doesnt work, screw that comp. peice of crap.

Partyboi2
June 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Did you check the cd for defects? Another thing to look at is your cdrom, maybe it needs cleaning or is on the way out. Do you have problems with any other media that is used by the cdrom?

WJerauld
June 12th, 2009, 10:11 PM
No, I installed windows perfectly, and other cd's run fine on it. It only happens, or "seems" like it happens when I try to install ubuntu.