PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot W7 + UNR

anycon
June 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hello peoples: I want to get a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Will this be possible? If so, what's the easiest way? I guess Wubi won't work in 7 ...

anycon
June 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Bumpendooder!

presence1960
June 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hello peoples: I want to get a dual boot setup with Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Will this be possible? If so, what's the easiest way? I guess Wubi won't work in 7 ...

If Windows is already installed I would defrag it at least once, maybe twice. I may be incorrect here, but I believe 7 is like Vista. I would use windows disk management utility to shrink the Windows partition and create free space for Ubuntu. Then boot from Ubuntu Live CD and install Ubuntu. If that is not possible then after defragging boot the Ubuntu Live CD and choose "try Ubuntu without any changes". Go System > Administration > Partition Editor. Use Partition Editor to resize Windows partition. Then install Ubuntu.

Back up all your data prior to doing anything. make sure you defrag to minimize risk of data loss or errors.

P.S. if you don't have an optical drive you need to create a bootable usb. see here : http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

anycon
June 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Why thanks you. I do have a drive (a cheap huge one) and my USB key is about 10 megs too small for the UNR iso, anyway. All I need is a couple DVD-Rs to get going.

It's a shame netbook RAM is expensive: I doubt my specs are good enough for 7 to run well. I just want to see what it's like!

Not worried about data loss: it's a new machine with nothing on it.

leram12
November 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
When I tried it (7 is already installed) the Ubuntu partitioner told me that the disk didn't have an operating system in it. Instead of installing Ubuntu I chose to keep 7, at least for the time being. Maybe someone will come up with a solution for the partitioner error.

wilee-nilee
November 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
When I tried it (7 is already installed) the Ubuntu partitioner told me that the disk didn't have an operating system in it. Instead of installing Ubuntu I chose to keep 7, at least for the time being. Maybe someone will come up with a solution for the partitioner error.

You should start a thread with a description of what you have tried so far. I am dual booting W7 and karmic on a acer aspire one. Let us know if you have a upgrade of W7 and a screenshot of your partitions.