PDA

View Full Version : Fave browser?

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
whats your fave browser and why?

mine is opera 10 beta

because its the most visually appealing and when turbo mode is activated the pages load so fast its amazing.

yours?

EDIT: in linux.

sorry i forgot to put "other" so if you have another then please say :D

mr.propre
June 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Where is IE? \\:D/

ratcheer
June 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
i have been using Firefox for a long time, but I have been thinking about trying Opera. I use Opera Mini on my cell phone.

I am most interested in security. Good graphics and effects are nice, but not if security is sacrificed to use a different browser.

Tim

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM

in windows;) :P

i was thinking more just in linux :P

RaZe42
June 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Where's Midori or Epiphany? :O An "Other" option would have been nice :)

nmccrina
June 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
The new Firefox beta is awesome. My favorite new feature is the little '+' button on the tab toolbar to quickly add a new tab.

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
ahh damn sorry.

i never even gave it a thought.

i cant edit the poll can i?

bryonak
June 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Dillo! Because Chrome is crawling slow in comparison ;)

(and JavaScript simply doesn't exist)

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Dillo! Because Chrome is crawling slow in comparison ;)

(and JavaScript simply doesn't exist)

cant say ive heard of Dillo :O

i might give it a test drive

Grant A.
June 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Firefox

Honestly, I'll probably never use Chrome. Google completely lost my trust when at one point they had that line in the Chrome EULA that said that anything published to the Internet via Chrome was the property of Google.

chucky chuckaluck
June 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
i've hated them all at one time, or another.

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
ohh noo.

just tried dillo and i do not like it.

yea its very fast, but only because it only loads text haha

bryonak
June 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
ohh noo.

just tried dillo and i do not like it.

yea its very fast, but only because it only loads text haha

Did you try the 2.0 version?
The Ubuntu repository still has 0.8, which hasn't been updated for several years...

2.1 will be released probably within the next month or two and have CSS support, so most pages will look more or less normal.

Still if you have a set of (plain HTML) sites that you know works well with the current Dillo, it's awesome :)

which ones pink
June 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I do like the look of Opera 10, but I haven't used it extensively yet. Turbo is also supposedly for "slow connections", which I do not have. I use Shiretoko for normal stuff, and Chromium for when I don't need flash (like on the Ubuntu forums :D ) Chromium runs circles around Shiretoko, but that's probably due to the fact that it has no plugin support.

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Did you try the 2.0 version?
The Ubuntu repository still has 0.8, which hasn't been updated for several years...

2.1 will be released probably within the next month or two and have CSS support, so most pages will look more or less normal.

Still if you have a set of (plain HTML) sites that you know works well with the current Dillo, it's awesome :)

i got the one of there website.

if its fairly new then i guess it has some promise :)

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I do like the look of Opera 10, but I haven't used it extensively yet. Turbo is also supposedly for "slow connections", which I do not have. I use Shiretoko for normal stuff, and Chromium for when I don't need flash (like on the Ubuntu forums :D ) Chromium runs circles around Shiretoko, but that's probably due to the fact that it has no plugin support.

yea i have turbo set to automatic, so it activates itself when my network is being slow. i dont have aslow connection either but my router sometimes is.

and opera has some really good widgets, and its dockable in the panel :)

Tibuda
June 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Epiphany.

EDIT: You asked to explain why... Well it is faster, lighter, and is compatible with many sites, because it uses the same engine as Firefox (Gecko). It got ugly toolbars that remember me of MSIE 4, but it is customizable.

Anastasis
June 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I think for our family personally, we opt for Firefox by a great margin. The reason for this is the sheer amount of development in add ons that Firefox has. We searched and searched for a simple and effective filtering system in all other browsers we could find. They were all memory hungery, bloated beasts at best. Pro Con Latte add on filter for Firefox actually did the trick. Our family made promises to one another concerning fidelity, and with Firefox and Pro Con Latte we do not even have to second guess ourselves because we can put passwords on the browser filter that not even we ourselves know and that cannot be uninstalled.

Firefox works for us.

-grubby
June 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Google Chrome and Chromium

heroidi
June 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
cant say ive heard of Dillo :O

i might give it a test drive

Dillo is a light browser it's used in damn small linux

heroidi
June 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
i personally i'm in love with firefox :P

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
i personally i'm in love with firefox :P

firefox is too much of a cpu hog for me tbh.
might just be my machine but its always crashing.

chrome and opera are much better with performance for me.

Sand & Mercury
June 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Using Chromium on Windows.

benj1
June 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
just been looking for browsers at the mo actually, got bored of firefox loading and using 100mb of ram. tried midori but still seems buggy.
i'm using epiphany at the mo, i realy like the all in one address/search bar. the only problem is plugins, or lack thereof.

rCXer
June 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
hmm... no votes for konqueror yet...

aysiu
June 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Whether I'm using Linux, Mac, or Windows, I always prefer Firefox.

Its tab switching behavior easily allows me to have save-for-later-tabs. It uses Control-Tab to switch tabs (not Control-PageDown). It also does find-as-you-type and is cross-platform.

If you can find me another browser that can do all that, I'll definitely check it out (don't bother suggesting Opera, Chrome, Safari, Epiphany, Konqueror, Kazehakase, or Galeon--I've tried all of those).

koshatnik
June 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
One day the world will learn that Opera is the only browser worth using.
/cue evil laugh.

forrestcupp
June 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
in windows;) :P

i was thinking more just in linux :PWell, there's IE4Linux. ;)

Honestly, I'll probably never use Chrome. Google completely lost my trust when at one point they had that line in the Chrome EULA that said that anything published to the Internet via Chrome was the property of Google.
That didn't bother me as much as the fact that Chrome sucks. Yeah, it's a little faster. But a few milliseconds shaved off of downloading a webpage doesn't justify to me all that it lacks.

I don't like the fact that I can't set it to automatically switch to new tabs (and I don't want to have to worry about pressing a key every time to get it to do it). I don't like the fact that making it modular doesn't seem to be a priority. It's not even possible right now to have an adblock plugin without using a cruddy, unintuitive bookmarklet that doesn't do the job. Maybe that's because Google makes their money from obnoxious advertising.

Also, most websites are made with IE & Firefox in mind. I've run into some things that worked well in Firefox & IE, but they didn't work right in Chrome.

I can't believe so many Linux users actually want Chrome in Linux. I'm kind of mad that they are making Chrome for Linux.

Skripka
June 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
hmm... no votes for konqueror yet...

So long as you use the Webkit KPart, it is just as fast and accurate rendering as any of the Webkit browsers. The one thing the Konqueror devs REALLY need to address is the tendency of kio_http to want to take over your computer and then the world.

Cammy
June 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
What, no Lynx? ;)

Just kidding.

I chose FF. I love me my extensions. Web Developer Toolbar FTW, not to mention Adblock.

meeples
June 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
What, no Lynx? ;)

Just kidding.

I chose FF. I love me my extensions. Web Developer Toolbar FTW, not to mention Adblock.

i cant sport extensions, tried on my friends once but it just made me look like a crossdresser :(

Screwdriver0815
June 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
my fav is Konqueror.

I used to like Firefox but as time goes by and the 3.x release came I got really annoyed by the firefox. I can not explain why - I am just annoyed.

Konqueror was awful in KDE 3.5 but now in KDE 4.2 it is not bad and it renders the websites really nicely. When I open a site with Firefox and the same site with Konqueror... its an amazing difference regarding the colours and sharpness.

also the features which are delivered with Konqueror are quite nice.

The second one I also like to use is Opera 9.64 but it also does not render the websites as nice as Konqueror.

tcoffeep
June 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I'm a firefox fanboy, through and through.

LookTJ
June 10th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Firefox because I am a sucker for the library of addons they have.

meeples
June 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
i knew firefox was going to be this popular.

not many people like konquerer or google chrome though haha

sim-value
June 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
The one thing the Konqueror devs REALLY need to address is the tendency of kio_http to want to take over your computer and then the world.

Wheres your problem with that ?

XxsydenxX
June 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I like arora. or midori.

vishzilla
June 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Featurewise its got to be Firefox, love the addons. I'm currently using ff 3.5pre. But lately Chromium's speed is enthralling sans plugins, its good Linux finally has a lot of options.

meeples
June 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
its good Linux finally has a lot of options.

i agree :)

afrodeity
June 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well, Opera 10 Unite has blown everyone out of the water as far as I am concerned by turning the browser into a server that allows you to share files, chat and play music from the comfort of your own machine. Not only is it fast, but it is lean, with very little overhead on resources.

I was straining under the weight of Shiretoko which had pumped my CPU to the Max, now I am happy. Pity Firefox 3.5 is also turning into a bloated whale with very little to show, except some cool add-ons which are an absolute pain to install inbetween upgrades, I just kept watching them die and still can't get cooliris to work on Ubuntu 8.04.. Oh well, I loved Mozilla, but now I am an Opera Junkie.

Jesus_Valdez
June 17th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I like Swiftweasel and Midori, but Firefox is ok.

Firestem4
June 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I use Firefox 99% of the time, but I really do enjoy Konqueror a lot. It looks GREAT in KDE. And it is actually quite fast (some elements load slower than others) but is also very stable.

However, im sure i'd like it a lot more once i figure out how to enable pipelining...

speedwell68
June 18th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Firefox all the way for me. It is very stable and is by far and away the best browser, just for the sheer amount of addons available. Although It is a resource hog, which isn't a problem on my desktop or laptop, but I am liking Chromium on my netbook. Chromium is much more suited to a netbook, where I can live with the lack of features compared to Firefox.