PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G S Discussion Thread

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
This thread is intended to discuss iPhone 3G S.

Do you think it's worth it to upgrade to the new iPhone?

Personally I don't, nothing new and fancy. Also the Compass is so stupid. The digital compass application in Android is better. I'm sure most of you heard about Google Skymaps app that allow you to locate starts in the sky using the digital compass.

Does anybody know the speed of the new processor?

NCLI
June 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Apple won't release the specs of this new thing, but it's supposed to be, and I quote, "About two times faster than the 3G." Anyway, I wouldn't upgrade if I were you.

Swarms
June 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I might buy it, but I would rather wait a little and see what's cooking with the upcoming Android phones.

Dimitriid
June 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You would be better off getting the Nokia 5800 if available to you.

fatality_uk
June 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM
DAMN YOU APPLE, DAMN YOU!!!!

I think they use subliminal photos in there ads as I love the iPhone's interface and look. It draws me in and I think,"ohh that would be nice"

Then I remember that there are better phones, with better specs, for 1/2 the price.

Ozor Mox
June 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM

I think they use subliminal photos in there ads as I love the iPhone's interface and look. It draws me in and I think,"ohh that would be nice"

Then I remember that there are better phones, with better specs, for 1/2 the price.

That's how Apple's marketing works. Whatever anyone says about Apple, I don't think anyone can deny that their marketing is second to none.

steev182
June 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think the hardware is worth upgrading from my original iPhone, so I will stick with it until the first good looking Android phone comes out (Samsung i7500, maybe Sony Ericsson comes up with, but they are just as bad as Apple with their proprietariness..).

For me, Android looks like the best alternative to iPhoneOS, the pre looks nice, but I remember the sliding of my old HTC TyTN and how flimsy that felt. Plus I really prefer the flexibilty of onscreen keyboards now.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
This thread is intended to discuss iPhone 3G S.

Do you think it's worth it to upgrade to the new iPhone?

Personally I don't, nothing new and fancy. Also the Compass is so stupid. The digital compass application in Android is better. I'm sure most of you heard about Google Skymaps app that allow you to locate starts in the sky using the digital compass.

Does anybody know the speed of the new processor?

i don't see anything that's a dealbreaker for me. my 3G is just fine. i'm sure the next iteration will have some cool stuff though.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM

define "better phone" and provide some makes/models.

Dougie187
June 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM

G1? Magic? Almost anything by nokia?

I just feel like is a basic incremental upgrade. Nothing to jump up and down for. There are far better things that could be done with the phone. I think they are just trying to keep their user base interested by released a "new" model, that is basically the same but slightly better.

Either way, Better is always subjective, unless you are talking about specs. Better to one person could be a hard keyboard as opposed to a soft keyboard. (My personal preference would be a hard keyboard)

steev182
June 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Exactly, better for me is the Android interface, but so far, the hardware hasn't looked like it is as good in terms of build and the aesthetics just don't seem to compare to that of the iPhone. Just like the looks of some of the Samsungs like the omnia make it appear better looking than the iPhone, but the OS and interface are nowhere near as good (for me).

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
G1? Magic? Almost anything by nokia?

*sigh*

apparently you're not going to provide YOUR reasons behind why you think this.

.Maleficus.
June 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
My iPhone 3G is great so far and right now, the only phone I would consider moving to would be the Pre. Once iPhone OS 3 comes out I don't know if that move would even happen.

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I don't have an iPhone. Actually I don't like iPhone as a phone cuz it doesn't suit my needs. The only drawbacks that I see in iPhone are:
1- Closed source OS (Even though I find it the most advanced OS for mobile *until now*)
2- Bad Camera ( 3 megapixel isn't enough at all)
3- No Flash
4- No hard keyboard (I love XPERIA keyboard, the best keyboard for mobiles ever) But maybe Landscape keyboard could solve the problem.

What I want in my smart phone is an iPhone+Android+Good Camera+Dual LED Flash+ Hard keyboard

I'm waiting to see SE Android device, and I'm 99% the will produce what I mentioned.
Untile that happens, I can't resist the temptation of having an iPhone-like device, so I'm going to buy an iPod Touch. It's a far better bargain now. So I'll buy the Touch and enjoy all the Apps and iPhone features, and wait to see the cons and pros of Android, THEN buy one :)

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't think so many people will upgrade to 3GS.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I don't think so many people will upgrade to 3GS.

me neither, but it's nice for newcomers.

also, and i may be wrong, but i don't think current 3G customers will be able to upgrade for fairly cheap if at all. 1st gen probably so though.

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I wish iPod Touch have a GPS, that would be awesome.

Oh wait! Some 3rd parties can now produce a plug-in GPS with 3.0 :)

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I just can't understand why companies (like Nokia) still produce mobiles with Symbian. It's just SOOOOO stupid and buggy and stupid AND stupid AND stupid...

I'm sure you know this virus: Newfolder.exe in Windows

My sister has a Nokia n70. She inserted the memory card in a card reader to add some songs in a Windows that's infected with that virus. Obviously the virus moved to the memory. When she inserted the memory back to n70, the folders and apps inside the phone didn't work!!!! She couldn't open any folder, also any app didn't work.

.Maleficus.
June 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't have an iPhone. Actually I don't like iPhone as a phone cuz it doesn't suit my needs.
If you don't like the iPhone, can I ask why you've started 5 threads in 3 weeks about iPhones?

Gucko
June 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If you don't like the iPhone, can I ask why you've started 5 threads in 3 weeks about iPhones?

I never said I don't like iPhone

I said I don't like iPhone as a *phone*.............big difference ;)

That's why I'm going to buy a Touch. Same iPhone, but no phone ;)

schauerlich
June 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I've got an iPod Touch. From what I can see, 3G S might not be worth it for a 3G user in the middle of their contract, but for someone with an original iPhone whose contract is near the end, it could be a nice upgrade.

t0p
June 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM
the Compass is so stupid.

There's this great java compass app available for bog-standard phones. When you install it, it asks where in the world you live. Then, when you open the app, it shows a sun or moon (depending on what's in the sky, duh). You point that sun or moon at the real sun or moon, and another arrow points north. So simple, a monkey probably wrote it. And you can own this wonderful compass without paying Jobbie his pension.

I-Phone... that's like "I" for "idiot", right?

Dougie187
June 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think anyone is going to upgrade to the 3Gs either, there isn't really a reason since they are letting you upgrade to OS 3.0 for about 10 bucks. Who needs the slightly better hardware. The phone looks exactly the same, it's almost exactly the same size and weight. I mean comon, it's basically the same phone, what is new about it aside from the OS and some slight hardware changes?

schauerlich
June 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
And you can own this wonderful compass without paying Jobbie his pension.

Steve Jobs hasn't been the acting CEO at Apple for a few months, and takes a salary of $1 a year. Synecdoche fail.

schauerlich
June 9th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think anyone is going to upgrade to the 3Gs either, there isn't really a reason since they are letting you upgrade to OS 3.0 for about 10 bucks. Who needs the slightly better hardware. The phone looks exactly the same, it's almost exactly the same size and weight. I mean comon, it's basically the same phone, what is new about it aside from the OS and some slight hardware changes?

Like I said, I think most 3G users will stick with what they've got and just get the software update. For people still on the original iPhone with contracts which are about to run out, however, it's a solid update that I think many people will take advantage of.

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I-Phone... that's like "I" for "idiot", right?

oh, so you have one.

xuCGC002
June 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I think they are just trying to keep their user base interested by released a "new" model, that is basically the same but slightly better.

I absolutely hate the "Generations" marketing tactic by Apple. Everyone at my school just has to have the newest iPod, or iPhone. And then what do they do with the old one? Most of them just toss it. My uncle has the 3rd generation iPod (Grayscale, no buttons on wheel), and I asked him why he still uses it. He said that "The last time I checked, it still played music".

Dimitriid
June 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

:D

donniezazen
June 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I don't have an iPhone. Actually I don't like iPhone as a phone cuz it doesn't suit my needs. The only drawbacks that I see in iPhone are:
1- Closed source OS (Even though I find it the most advanced OS for mobile *until now*)
2- Bad Camera ( 3 megapixel isn't enough at all)
3- No Flash
4- No hard keyboard (I love XPERIA keyboard, the best keyboard for mobiles ever) But maybe Landscape keyboard could solve the problem.

What I want in my smart phone is an iPhone+Android+Good Camera+Dual LED Flash+ Hard keyboard

I'm waiting to see SE Android device, and I'm 99% the will produce what I mentioned.
Untile that happens, I can't resist the temptation of having an iPhone-like device, so I'm going to buy an iPod Touch. It's a far better bargain now. So I'll buy the Touch and enjoy all the Apps and iPhone features, and wait to see the cons and pros of Android, THEN buy one :)

Your wish is never going to be fulfilled. Though you may see an iPhone with flash and hard keyboard.

I am more inclined towards iPhone beacuse it has

1. Amazing music player.
2. Good web surfing device.
3. It has apps for almost everything.
4. Its great looks.
5. A good phone.

That is you dont have to carry 3-4 devices in your pocket.

Why would you choose an open source their are around 50,000 apps and many of which are free.

SK

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

:D

i chuckled.

Gucko
June 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
any leaks about 3G iPod Touch?

Gucko
June 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Turn your iPod Touch into a 3G iPhone!
http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html

is that possible for SE phones? Someone told me he did that with Nokia phones.

schauerlich
June 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
any leaks about 3G iPod Touch?

I highly doubt Apple would release a 3G iPod Touch, as 3G would require signing up for a data plan with a telecom (ie AT&T). The appeal of the iPod Touch is that you can have most of the iPhone apps, the cool touch screen and "wow factor" associated with the iPhone without being roped into an expensive contract. It wouldn't make sense to have an iPhone without the phone, but still have the data plan.

Also: please use the default size font unless you're trying to highlight a particular part of your post, and even then, sparingly. If you're having trouble reading the default font size, then you can make that larger in your browser.

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Also: please use the default size font unless you're trying to highlight a particular part of your post, and even then, sparingly. If you're having trouble reading the default font size, then you can make that larger in your browser.

i concur with this view.

Gucko
June 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry you understood me wrongly. I meant the 3rd generation ;)

sim-value
June 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Apple wrote:

The Fastest iPhone Ever

The first thing you’ll notice about iPhone 3G S ....

Meaning its useable speed now ?

3-Megapixel Camera
Wow Cool ! i never had a phone with that what an innovation

Video
Images of the iPhone 3G S camera's tap to focus feature and the video camera interface.

Now you can shoot video, edit it, and share it — all on your iPhone 3G S. Shoot high-quality VGA video in portrait or landscape. Trim your footage by adjusting start and end points. Then share your video in an email, post it to your MobileMe gallery, publish it on YouTube, or sync it back to your Mac or PC using iTunes.

Wow ! I can make Videos ! in FULL VGA QUALITY !!!! Awesome ! oh wait ... my 80€ phone does that too ... in a higher resolution anyway great Hardware update right

The new 3-megapixel camera takes great still photos, too, thanks to built-in autofocus and a handy new feature that lets you tap the display to focus on anything (or anyone) you want.
Learn more about the camera
The Voice Control screen and a call screen.
Voice Control

Voice Control

Cool "hardware" update too right ? *sigh* ... but innovative ...
Compass application.
Compass

With a built-in digital compass, iPhone 3G S can point the way. Use the new Compass app, or watch as it automatically reorients maps to match the direction you’re facing.1
Learn more about Maps + Compass
Wait ... didnt we have this all ready in this "Gee - thingy" ? but ok nice to have
The iPhone 3G S keyboard and the Cut, Copy, and Paste interface.
Cut, Copy & Paste

Cut, copy, and paste words and photos, even between applications. Copy and paste images and content from the web, too.
Learn more about Cut, Copy & Paste
Well ... also nice "Hardware" update right ?
Landscape Keyboard

An MMS conversation with photos and video on iPhone 3G S.
Send messages with text, video, photos, audio, locations, and contact information. You can even forward one or more messages to others. MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer.
WOW WT* ? I CAN SEND MMS !!!!!! Pics in SMS !! we never had this before ... cool "hardware" update !!!
Spotlight Search results on iPhone 3G S.
Search

Find what you’re looking for across your iPhone, all from one convenient place. Spotlight searches all your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.
Learn more about Spotlight Search
Images showing the accessibility settings screen, the White on Black feature, and the Zoom settings screen.
Wow ... cool HW update

A laptop connected to an iPhone 3G S with Internet tethering active.
Internet Tethering

Surf the web from practically anywhere. Now you can share the 3G connection on your iPhone with your Mac notebook or PC laptop. Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.
WOW !!! never before could you use your Phone as Modem ... well atleast not with requiring specal settings which some Providers charge for ...

Learn more about Internet tethering
The Voice Memos application.
Voice Memos

Capture and share a thought, a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go with the new Voice Memos application.
Learn more about Voice Memos
See above
The Nike Plus iPod interface.
Nike + iPod

iPhone includes built-in Nike + iPod support. Just slip the Nike + iPod Sensor (available separately) into your Nike+ shoe and start your workout.
The Stocks application in landscape with a chart tracking stock peformance.
Wait ... wasnt there walkmate something one time ?
Stocks

#

Please note that im not claiming that other vendors do not sell multiple phones with the same hardware ..

So thats pretty much my thinking about it ... Looks cool ... and that was it again ...

/me

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
#

Please note that im not claiming that other vendors do not sell multiple phones with the same hardware ..

So thats pretty much my thinking about it ... Looks cool ... and that was it again ...

/me

sorry to hear that 3G is not "usable" in your area.

sim-value
June 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
sorry to hear that 3G is not "usable" in your area.

?!

What are you reffering to ?

Theres 3G in my Country ... only one of two Providers Charges you Monthly If you want to use your Iphone as modem (additionally to the Base fees)

pwnst*r
June 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
?!

What are you reffering to ?

Theres 3G in my Country ... only one of two Providers Charges you Monthly If you want to use your Iphone as modem (additionally to the Base fees)

you said "it's usable speed now?"

hence my post.

schauerlich
June 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM

/me

Your main argument appears to be "wow what a cool hardware update LAWL JKJKJKJK."

radtek
June 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Just got a 3G S today. My 4 month old BB Bold is up on the auction block at work tomorrow..

I've never so much as held an Iphone before. Afraid it would burn my hands.

Nice phone. Works well. Very responsive despite a few hangs. I like the default to wifi. I got it for the web-access. Underling at work has a G1 which I like but it doesn't do 3G. He wore the letters of the keypad in less than a week.

This phone is way better. If I can sync in 8.10 somehow I'll be stoked. Any ideas on how to do this without installing windows or going virtual? Wine would be great.

I don't like the Iphone specific usb cable. A generic was too much to hope for...

I've got a Neo Freerunner too. If usability wasn't an issue I'd have stuck with it LOL. In any case I've cast my conscience and cash aside for something more polished.

I say if you are on the fence about it go ahead and get the Iphone. No regrets at this point.

.nedberg
July 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I am thinking of getting a iPhone 3G S soon. I just wanted to know if it will be possible to transfer music and pictures to and from the phone with Kubuntu?

Or is it easier to get this going with a VM or even a plain Windows machine?

Would I need to jailbreak it?

PartisanEntity
July 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I am thinking of getting a iPhone 3G S soon. I just wanted to know if it will be possible to transfer music and pictures to and from the phone with Kubuntu?

Or is it easier to get this going with a VM or even a plain Windows machine?

Would I need to jailbreak it?

If you jailbreak it, then you can install ssh and access your iPhone nicely through any OS to copy/move files and folders.

With a jailbroken iPhone you can also access it through an SFTP client.

However, I am not sure how easy it is to copy Music over to your iPhone without using iTunes, I believe due to the restrictive operating system on the iPhone this is not so easy (i may be wrong though, I have not tried recently).

.nedberg
July 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
However, I am not sure how easy it is to copy Music over to your iPhone without using iTunes, I believe due to the restrictive operating system on the iPhone this is not so easy (i may be wrong though, I have not tried recently).

That is my main concern! I need to be able to do that, as I will use the iPhone as a mp3-player.

gn2
July 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM

My LG KG290. Smaller, lighter, much longer battery life.
Cost me just £20 and no contract payment every month.