PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU like about Ubuntu?

FruitRocks
June 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Even though I'm a Windows XP user (I always will be, as Vista has given me so many problems), I do use dualboot it on my second hard drive. If Windows fails me for some reason and I can't get into it, I can always use an Ubuntu live cd to access/reformat my Windows partition :D
I've always liked the free updates, and of couse the friendly community-based forums (which totally blow away Microsoft's proffessional ones).
Post your thoughts/ideas here on why you like a certain edition of Linux so much ;)

Ravernomina
June 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I love how you can do anything to it. As in make it how you want and what you want :). Also the free programs that are open source and legal to modify. I also love the Low security risks with Linux its freaking amazing :).

Mac OS X + Linux forever :)

Einsamkeit
June 9th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Hmm I love what seems to be a better usage of ressources, seeing as how Ubuntu runs better & faster than Windows XP on my machine.
Also, the freedom that comes with it, and the beer too.
Since I've installed Ubuntu, I changed my way of thinking about many things, nowadays I barely download anything that could be described as "illegal" (i.e. ripped mp3's, softwares, movies..) and try to find open source alternatives (for softwares) and legally downloadable media (I'm rebuilding my music library from my Jamendo favorites).

In some ways, it's like martial arts (but instead of being a sport, its software, obviously): it can become part of a lifestyle. And that's also an aspect of Ubuntu (or Linux&Open Source in general) that I find interesting.

And finally, I like that I don't have to worry about seeing my copy end up in the "unsupported update-wise" box because I don't have to pay for the next version if change becomes needed.

YldGuy
June 9th, 2009, 05:13 AM
i was dual booting once with xp and ubuntu. but when virus and spyware crashed my xp beyond hope i ditched it and has been using ubuntu ever since. Ubuntu offers me the flexibility and ease of use xp never gave me. Getting the system to do what i want it to do, running applications with low memory usage, malware free, better eye candy, access to plethora of applications and all of them free are some of the benefits i like.

I did install xp on virtualbox to play some games but realized too late that D3D apps wont work in virtualbox. But that's ok, most of them run fine in wine.

gymophett
June 9th, 2009, 05:36 AM
i was dual booting once with xp and ubuntu. But when virus and spyware crashed my xp beyond hope i ditched it and has been using ubuntu ever since. Ubuntu offers me the flexibility and ease of use xp never gave me. Getting the system to do what i want it to do, running applications with low memory usage, malware free, better eye candy, access to plethora of applications and all of them free are some of the benefits i like.

I did install xp on virtualbox to play some games but realized too late that d3d apps wont work in virtualbox. But that's ok, most of them run fine in wine.

+1

Sealbhach
June 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Not having to worry so much about security - not having to run antivirus. Not getting constant annoying messages from my operating system.

lisati
June 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Less hassle with malware
Makes a change from other OSes
Easy to use
<insert platitude of choice>
The community found at this forum

Anastasis
June 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I like Ubuntu becauses it is the very first implementation of Linux that I have ever felt like I'm actually using an operating system instead of a decompiler, and that is including the SUSE versions which claimed to be user friendly but weren't.

For the first time in my horrendous Linux experience, Linux was actually easier to install than Windows. And that was the turning point in my mind. When I loaded Ubuntu Linux Netbook Remix on my Asus, it JUST WORKED, like a charm. And that's when I wiped my drive free of that bane called Windows that has kept me enslaved so long.

I'm not going to back to Windows. But I'm not going to any other versions of Linux either. Right now I am 150% sold on Ubuntu Linux as being the star of the operating system. I'll talk up Ubuntu wherever I go, because the proof is finally in the pudding instead of in the mouth of an introverted, Neo-worshipping, emo-like vegetarian vampire wannabe computer dork.

Sinkingships7
June 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
... introverted, Neo-worshipping, emo-like vegetarian vampire wannabe computer dork.

And proud! :D

I like Ubuntu because it provides the gateway into Linux for the more common computer user. This will (hopefully) shake the nerves of such a user and force them to explore computers until they have a deeper understanding of such voodoo. This means less computer-illiterate (so to speak) people and more people contributing to the future of technology.

Dj Melik
June 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Honestly.. Driver Support.

Tipped OuT
June 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Honestly.. Driver Support.

The driver support in Ubuntu isn't too well compared to Windows, especially for new hardware. Plus, the drivers... well, suck. :p

Anastasis
June 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I don't think it ever has or ever will 'shake the nerves' of any average computer user.

When I think of Linux back in the old days, I am almost brought to the point of nausea. The Linux user I remember was an arrogant, psychopathic, amoral, loser who was bent on taking over the world one university network at a time.

What that very psychopathic, amoral, loser (or the stereo-typical linux user of the 90s never understood about his or her situation is that no one cared in the slightest for his or her erudition except him or her self. No one else had the time of day for such hooyah, because they were doing foreign things to the average linux user at that time, like, 'working', 'raising a family', 'studying for college courses', that sort of thing.

What Ubuntu has accomplished is to force the unaverage computer user to stop being so self-absorbed about his computer ingenium and realize that it's just a dumb machine.

logos34
June 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
1. Security and virtual virus-immunity (no need to waste precious hours on antivirus scans)
2. Rock-solid stability. Frequent updates (security mainly). No need for defrag (ext2/3/4 and all the rest)
3. FOSS
4. Infinitely customizable
5. Ways to do things easily from the terminal
6. Easy configuration
7. Wide range of apps
8. More efficient use of system resources

Loon4000
June 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
As a new user to linux i have to say death to Windows!!

Admittadly it has taken some extra time to get everything on my lappy up and running and doing what i want it to do, but i believe this is because i have been brought up on windows and this is a whole new world for me.

As for the Driver support it's out there you just need to know where to look. I found that googling what i wanted to know usually did the trick.

DESIGNED FOR WINDOWS XP. RUNNING UBUNTU 9.04

Sinkingships7
June 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM
DESIGNED FOR WINDOWS XP. RUNNING UBUNTU 9.04

Make that your signature, go make some posts, and welcome to the community. ;)

HappyFeet
June 9th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Even though I'm a Windows XP user (I always will be)

No you won't. As someday XP will be outdated. Nothing is forever.

mooncoldy
June 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Not having to worry so much about security - not having to run antivirus. Not getting constant annoying messages from my operating system.

haha, yes, I agree with you! That is why I remove Windows.

The Real Dave
June 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Make that your signature, go make some posts, and welcome to the community. ;)

+1 Definately! :D :D

I love how you can suit it to exactly fit your needs. Have what programs you want, the appearnce you want.

I love how much easier it is to work on Ubuntu than XP, thanks to multiple workspaces, and VMing. Now, I know you can VM in Windows too, and I do, but it uses so much RAM in Windows.

Working in Ubuntu is just so much more hassle free. For example, in Ubuntu, when working on my webpage, I can have GIMP open on one workspace, editing pictures, Kompozer and Filezilla in another, editting the pages and uploading them, I can have XP in a VM, running Flash Pro 8, and I still have 3 workspaces free for Firefox, Amarok and Nautilis. And I can browse through all these workspaces, with just a flick of my mouse wheel.

And all this while looking so pretty :lolflag: Life is better when its simple :D And that is the beauty of Ubuntu

BlazeFire247
June 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
1. The speed - Ubuntu is definately the first thing I'd install on a new computer with Windows built-in. It's fast, and trust me, GIMP is super slow on Windows.

2. It's secure - I've heard that Ubuntu only has a few viruses.

3. Pre-installed programs seriously pwns Windows - GIMP, Firefox... everything I LOVE is here!

4. Super customizable - Themes, panels, icons, cursors... True on Windows you could do the same with the taskbar and all the other stuff, but where else could you get panel transparecy without downloading software? Plus, you can give your panels a Background.

5. Built-in games rock - Four-In-A-Row and Chess are my all-time favorites. I also like "Mine", similar to Windows' Minesweeper.

6. Update Manager pops-up instead of an icon - Back at Windows, the update thing just shows as an icon, and I tend to ignore it. But here at Ubuntu, the updates I'm getting are fast, and simple.

7. Organized - Workspaces and panels... I must say that the Menu Bar is very useful. It organizes the programs installed, not stash them up into one big mess (Start menu :roll:)

8. Lock Screen - It does protect my computer from unauthorized use. My baby brother keeps on ruining my stuff at Windows whenever I'm not on it, and I have to turn off the monitor to pretend that the computer is off everytime I leave. But thanks to this handy tool

9. Force Quit - The Story: Back at Windows, I have to go through Task Manager to terminate "not-responding" programs. Well, with Force Quit, just a few clicks, and it's closed! Unlike Windows, the Not Responding window tells you that the program will close when you press that button, similar to Force Quit, but it doesn't exit right away.

10. Add/Remove Applications Actually Add - Name says it all. Windows' "Add/Remove Programs" only removes stuff, but not for Ubuntu!

11. Setup Logon Screen - Windows doesnt have it, but this isn't the reason why I'm posting this! Setup Logon Screen is awesome. I'm using Jaunty, but I prefer the other Ubuntu logon screen called "Human List"

I could go on and on and on and on with this list...

handy
June 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I like Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php), which is an improved Ubuntu; compatible with & uses the Ubuntu repo's.

I installed the LinuxMint-6-Xfce version a day ago, & must say I'm extremely impressed with how it handled my hardware, as I have the graphics card from hell in the machine I installed on, & it picked it up better than any distro' ever has, & only one ever has which was a superseded version of Sabayon (the current version of Sabayon can't do it now!?).

When the Mint team get version 7 of the Xfce Mint ready I may upgrade, though really, I don't need to as version 6 seems to be more than I need as it stands.

For Ubuntu users, Mint really is worth a look, as it is a more polished Ubuntu, which is of course why Mint is so popular.

koshatnik
June 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I tried Mint once. Wasn't orange enough so I uninstalled it.

I like Ubuntu for the fact that its less annoying than other linux distro's. Installs easy, picks up hardware well, dont have to spend too long hunting down a codec or plugin.

And its orange.

handy
June 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I tried Mint once. Wasn't orange enough so I uninstalled it.

Me, I'm colour blind, (no not really :)).

I like Ubuntu for the fact that its less annoying than other linux distro's. Installs easy, picks up hardware well, dont have to spend too long hunting down a codec or plugin.

Well, as I was saying, Mint is a more polished version of Ubuntu, which makes installation, the handling of hardware, the dealing with codecs & plugins so much easier than the Ubuntu way.

Mint is also somewhat more polishes in regard to package handling than Ubuntu from my experience, though I am using a superseded version of Mint.

And its orange.

Well, Mint can't compete with that one, I'll admit defeat there. ;)