PDA

View Full Version : Rockbox on YOUR sansa fuze :o

Pages : [1] 2

dragos240
June 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
A few days ago I posted about my sansa fuze finally getting rockbox on it, and I noticed a few people wanting to install it. I have just zipped all of the things you need in an archive, but I am going to give you a warning.

DOING THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND HAS A POSSIBILITY TO PERMANENTLY BRICKING YOUR SANSA FUZE.

Just to let you know, if you don't care, then be my guest and follow these instructions:

1. Download the archive (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HRI9IF7I) to a folder.

2. Plug in your sansa fuze and make sure the usb mode is MSC.

3. Extract the contents of the archive to the root directory of your fuze.

4. Unplug your fuze, and shut it off.

5. Boot it back up and rockbox should be there.

EDIT: New link from coldbird, (Link removed, it is broken at the current time)
This is updated to the latest build of rockbox, the other link is outdated. Thank you!

EDIT2: Coldbird has removed the index.php because it was building up on their server, this link is just a list of the latest versions that coldbird has compiled. It's manual now. Here is the link. (http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/)
Also the newest archives from this site are in rar format, you will need to install this manually as well:
Arch pacman -S rar unrar
Ubuntu/Debian apt-get install rar unrar
Fedora yum install rar unrar

EDIT3: Rockbox is now officially supporting the fuze! No need for this topic anymore!

NFblaze
June 9th, 2009, 01:07 AM
It hasnt been offically released?

dragos240
June 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
It hasnt been offically released?

No it has not. Rockbox has not been officially released yet. I compiled the source.

clonne4crw
June 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Has anyone ELSE sucessfully tried this yet? I don't wanna brick my fuze. It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to see that other people have done it, too. I've been waiting fot this for ages!

----edit:
What firmware version are you using?

days_of_ruin
June 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
A few days ago I posted about my sansa fuze finally getting rockbox on it, and I noticed a few people wanting to install it. I have just zipped all of the things you need in an archive, but I am going to give you a warning.

DOING THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND HAS A POSSIBILITY TO PERMENENTLY BRICKING YOUR SANSA FUZE.

Just to let you know, if you don't care, then be my guest and follow these instructions:

1. Download the archive (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HRI9IF7I) to a folder.

2. Plug in your sansa fuze and make sure the usb mode is MSC.

3. Extract the contents of the archive to the root directory of your fuze.

4. Unplug your fuze, and shut it off.

pics or it didn't happen:p

PatrickMoore
June 9th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Im going to since i have a backup mp3 player

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM
pics or it didn't happen:p

You have a point, and I have a camera. Let me take some, and I'll be back ;)

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
i tried and still have the same sansa firmware so am i missing something? is there files that need to be pitched?

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
i tried and still have the same sansa firmware so am i missing something? is there files that need to be pitched?

Did you extract ALL the contents to your fuze, and did you make sure the usb mode was MSC? Try it again, and also I would like a screenshot of your sansa fuze root directory with hidden items enabled before you plug it in. Oh and by the way. I GOT PICTURES! Excuse the quality of them though.
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010090.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010091.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010092.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010093.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010094.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010095.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010096.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010097.JPG
http://dragos240.freewebhostx.com/P1010098.JPG

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
heres my screenshot im going to have another go

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:41 AM
heres my screenshot im going to have another go

Nice theme, did you press ctrl H? Just curious, and is it in MSC mode? These points are critical.

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
thank you i think its elegant. i did not hit ctrl+ h my fuze is set to msc though

i did however include hidden files.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM
thank you i think its elegant. i did not hit ctrl+ h my fuze is set to msc though

i did however include hidden files.

Would you give another screenshot with ctrl H? It would help.

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 12:51 AM
this is including ctrl + h i just formatted thinking that if i remove media then it may be easier

days_of_ruin
June 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
So you're Mr Blurrycam.:lolflag:

Can you run doom on it?

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
this is including ctrl + h i just formatted thinking that if i remove media then it may be easier
Thank you for helping us help you help us all! Now it seems that .rockbox and the bootloader did not get put in, this really does help. Now try extracting everything from the archive into a folder, then into the main fuze directory, make sure to have ctrl + H on so you can view .rockbox and copy it. Try this method and shut down your fuze, and boot it back up afterwards.

days_of_ruin
June 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Where exactly did you get this archive anyway? I'd appreciate a link.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
So you're Mr Blurrycam.:lolflag:

Can you run doom on it?

Yeah rockdoom, it doesn't seem so, I guess that plugin doesn't work yet, it didn't work for me :(

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Where exactly did you get this archive anyway? I'd appreciate a link.

Oh I compiled the rockbox source myself that I downloaded via subversion. And I put all the files into an archive.

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 01:00 AM
still nothing. i extracted to my desktop and then cut and pasted into the root folder

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM
still nothing. i extracted to my desktop and then cut and pasted into the root folder
Really? Hmm.... Try just extracting the bootloader, and after it updates THEN try copying .rockbox.

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM
that again didnt work i have to be missing something

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Hmm.... I wish I knew what was wrong... OH! When opening your fuze root folder you will see the directory name. What does it say? Trust me, this will help me find the problem.

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM
that may be the issue im just openong up the fuze how are you accessing the root folder?

days_of_ruin
June 10th, 2009, 01:27 AM
For doom did you try putting the .wad in there?

EDIT: btw I am running it rockbox now. Thanks for posting.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM
that may be the issue im just openong up the fuze how are you accessing the root folder?

The same way (I think), but could you just tell me what it says right of the Location: bar? Oh and are you talking about the actual root folder located at / rather than /media/diskx?

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM
the root folder on the device.i wonder if i enter nautilus as root to do it if that will work

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 01:34 AM
the root folder on the device.i wonder if i enter nautilus as root to do it if that will work

Well.... I don't see the harm of it, but I didn't have to.

Also would you please post what your location bar says? Please?

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
/media/3.9GB media root privledges changed nothing

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
/media/3.9GB media root privledges changed nothing

Well it's definitely in MSC, that was my main suspicion.

Extract the contents of the archive to a folder in your home folder named "a".

After this is done, open up a terminal and type the following command:

cp a/fuzea.bin /media/3.9GB\ media && cp -r a/.rockbox/ /media/3.9GB\ media

PatrickMoore
June 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory `/media/3.9GB media' with directory `a/.rockbox/'

im getting this error

regeya
June 10th, 2009, 04:59 PM

It was indeed. It works much better than I'd been expecting!

Thank you for posting this. :D I'd tried building it myself, and though I consider myself to be fairly computer-savvy, I didn't manage to do it (I get a "no .rockbox directory" error) and I even tried a Rockbox dev's "fixed" build, no dice.

V!><0N
June 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
why....why...why did you use mega upload.........
Thanks though. Ill try it once i can download:D

clonne4crw
June 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Another question: Is there a way to revert back to the original Sansa firmware after this? Or switch between it and Rockbox? I'm still a little sketchy about trying this on my own.

days_of_ruin
June 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Another question: Is there a way to revert back to the original Sansa firmware after this? Or switch between it and Rockbox? I'm still a little sketchy about trying this on my own.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=23276

Just follow the instructions.

EDIT: Try using an older firmware in case it can't load you microSD card.

V!><0N
June 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM
This worked for me! Finally, I've been waiting for so long. Thanks very much! However, I do have one problem... Now my Fuze does not show up in Ubuntu. Is there a special way that I should be connecting it?

Jackelope
June 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
OK, not that I don't believe you all, but since when can you install Rockbox without loadinng a shiny new bootloader? You really just copy the files and reset? Can someone confirm that you don't need the custom rockbox bootloader to make this work? Thanks.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
This worked for me! Finally, I've been waiting for so long. Thanks very much! However, I do have one problem... Now my Fuze does not show up in Ubuntu. Is there a special way that I should be connecting it?

Yes, the USB doesn't work yet. Shut down your rockbox by holding your power switch up until it powers off and then connect it.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
OK, not that I don't believe you all, but since when can you install Rockbox without loadinng a shiny new bootloader? You really just copy the files and reset? Can someone confirm that you don't need the custom rockbox bootloader to make this work? Thanks.

Yes, the reason being that this bootloader directs the fuze's hardware to read the rockbox files on bootup, compared to sansa's bootloader which only reads it's firmware. Take the windows bootloader, it automatically boots into windows xp without showing you your options, so you need grub.

dragos240
June 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory `/media/3.9GB media' with directory `a/.rockbox/'
im getting this error

Hmm..... I suggest going plugging into your fuze and using gparted to change the label to nothing, this will automatically make it /media/disk. And it will be much easier.

Goombie
June 11th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Yes, the USB doesn't work yet. Shut down your rockbox by holding your power switch up until it powers off and then connect it.
When I do this, I connect using the Sansa firmware instead of Rockbox. Is that supposed to happen?

Otherwise, everything works fine so far. Is there a way to change the font size for the menus, though? I can't read them very well. >.<

Ebuntor
June 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM
That worked great! I'm so glad my Fuze has so much more options now, and games too. :D
Thank you dragos.

Ebuntor
June 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Oh crap, seems FAT is corrupted somehow. I can't mount it in Ubuntu. I had this problem before and I fixed it by formatting it in OSX, is there a way to make it show up in Linux, because it isn't listed in GParted.

woonghee
June 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Everything looks fine but I can't find recording menu.

GeneralTrue
June 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I can truly confirm that this works=) is there a way to get custom themes?

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The normal fuze firmware can't load my microSD card now. Must have corrupted it;_;

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
When I do this, I connect using the Sansa firmware instead of Rockbox. Is that supposed to happen?

Otherwise, everything works fine so far. Is there a way to change the font size for the menus, though? I can't read them very well. >.<

Yep, that's normal. That's supposed to happen.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Oh crap, seems FAT is corrupted somehow. I can't mount it in Ubuntu. I had this problem before and I fixed it by formatting it in OSX, is there a way to make it show up in Linux, because it isn't listed in GParted.

Nope, nothing of the sort. the USB doesn't work on the firmware yet, don't panic. Just shut down the sansa, and plug it in, it will charge and connect using the original firmware.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Everything looks fine but I can't find recording menu.

Voice and recording do not yet work on the fuze.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I can truly confirm that this works=) is there a way to get custom themes?

Yes they are general themes for rockbox, search "rockbox themes"

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:28 PM
The normal fuze firmware can't load my microSD card now. Must have corrupted it;_;

Now can you boot into rockbox? If you can then go into files, and then ##PORT## you should be able to access your files from there.

Ebuntor
June 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Nope, nothing of the sort. the USB doesn't work on the firmware yet, don't panic. Just shut down the sansa, and plug it in, it will charge and connect using the original firmware.

Oh no the Rockbox firmware installed just fine, it just is that when I connect it I get an error message saying "FAT is corrupted. Please Connect device to a PC and recover FAT"
Also it no longer shows up in Ubuntu, I can't mount it nor can I format it with GParted.
It isn't listed in /dev/ either.

EDIT: I'll just ask a friend of mine who has a Mac to format it for me, for some reason OSX can still mount it. I just don't know how to do that in Linux if the device isn't listed.

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Now can you boot into rockbox? If you can then go into files, and then ##PORT## you should be able to access your files from there.

In Port there in a bunch of wierdly named files and I can't do anything with them.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Oh no the Rockbox firmware installed just fine, it just is that when I connect it I get an error message saying "FAT is corrupted. Please Connect device to a PC and recover FAT"
Also it no longer shows up in Ubuntu, I can't mount it nor can I format it with GParted.
It isn't listed in /dev/ either.

EDIT: I'll just ask a friend of mine who has a Mac to format it for me, for some reason OSX can still mount it. I just don't know how to do that in Linux if the device isn't listed.

Hmm.... Thats odd. What are you using to connect, rockbox, or the original firmware? It would be appreciated. If it doesn't work, then I suggest finding the original firmware (which I can send you) and putting it in the sansa root directory. That may fix it.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
In Port there in a bunch of wierdly named files and I can't do anything with them.

Such as?

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
EDIT: nvr mind

Ebuntor
June 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hmm.... Thats odd. What are you using to connect, rockbox, or the original firmware? It would be appreciated. If it doesn't work, then I suggest finding the original firmware (which I can send you) and putting it in the sansa root directory. That may fix it.

Well I guess I am using the original firmware, at least that's what shows up when I connect it, once I disconnect the device Rockbox starts up.

The problem is I can't mount the device, I just no longer shows up as a mountable device, it isn't listed anywhere. Because I can't mount it I can't put the old firmware on it either.

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Such as?

oops I forgot I didn't have my microSD card in.

Ok I can access the files now but they are not in PORT, they are in something like "<microsd>".

Btw I want to be able to access the microsd card in the old firmware.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Well I guess I am using the original firmware, at least that's what shows up when I connect it, once I disconnect the device Rockbox starts up.

The problem is I can't mount the device, I just no longer shows up as a mountable device, it isn't listed anywhere. Because I can't mount it I can't put the old firmware on it either.

Try this:
Shut down your sansa by holding the power switch up until it shuts down, much like you would to to a computer in the situation you needed a hard powerdown. And then plug it in.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
oops I forgot I didn't have my microSD card in.

Ok I can access the files now but they are not in PORT, they are in something like "<microsd>".

Btw I want to be able to access the microsd card in the old firmware.

Okay, go into your old firmware (by of course shutting it down, and plugging it in, now put in your SD card.) It should work.

days_of_ruin
June 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Okay, go into your old firmware (by of course shutting it down, and plugging it in, now put in your SD card. It should work.

Trying that again. Hopefully it will work this time.

dragos240
June 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Trying that again. Hopefully it will work this time.

I just noticed something! I forgot the other bracket XD

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 12:03 AM
"Refreshing your media" always freezed 3/4 of the way thru.

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
"Refreshing your media" always froze 3/4 of the way through.

Odd..... I'll look up a firmware for you, okay?
http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/fuze/fuze01.01.11a.zip

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Try this:
Shut down your sansa by holding the power switch up until it shuts down, much like you would to to a computer in the situation you needed a hard powerdown. And then plug it in.

That's the first thing I did, when I do that the old firmware shows up and shows the error about the FAT filesystem being corrupted. The only way to fix FAT is by formatting the whole device but for some reason Linux refuses to recognize usb devices with corrupted filesystems.

This is no big deal, it just happens sometimes when installing new firmware, I had this exact some problem before, all I need to do is format it using OSX, no idea why but OSX does mount corrupted FAT filesystems. It's just really annoying I don't know how to force Ubuntu to detect the device once it is connected.

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Odd..... I'll look up a firmware for you, okay?
http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/fuze/fuze01.01.11a.zip

Dude thru is just shorthand.
I got it mounted on my computer so I am going to try and reformat it.
AFAIK FAT 32 would be the correct format?

EDIT: I'll try that firmware first.

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
That's the first thing I did, when I do that the old firmware shows up and shows the error about the FAT filesystem being corrupted. The only way to fix FAT is by formatting the whole device but for some reason Linux refuses to recognize usb devices with corrupted filesystems.

This is no big deal, it just happens sometimes when installing new firmware, I had this exact some problem before, all I need to do is format it using OSX, no idea why but OSX does mount corrupted FAT filesystems. It's just really annoying I don't know how to force Ubuntu to detect the device once it is connected.

I've mounted a few corrupted filesystems in my day and it works fine, must be something with your computer...

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Dude thru is just shorthand.
I got it mounted on my computer so I am going to try and reformat it.
AFAIK FAT 32 would be the correct format?

err..... please don't. Just copy the firmware to your fuze. And you should be fine.
Also I know through is shorthand, but freezes isn't.

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I've mounted a few corrupted filesystems in my day and it works fine, must be something with your computer...

Oh no, same story with every computer I've got, Linux and Windows. Besides a usb device with a corrupted filesystem is a bit different than a HDD for example.

If you know how to mount a corrupted usb device I would be very glad to hear it, would save me a lot of time. :)

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
err..... please don't. Just copy the firmware to your fuze. And you should be fine.
Also I know through is shorthand, but freezes isn't.

Yeah I realized that. Altho I think it is better grammar to put freezes instead of freezed/froze.

/off-topic

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Oh no, same story with every computer I've got, Linux and Windows. Besides a usb device with a corrupted filesystem is a bit different than a HDD for example.

If you know how to mount a corrupted usb device I would be very glad to hear it, would save me a lot of time. :)

Err..... plug a device in.... and wait for nautilus to recognize it and it will give you an error, also it would help to know the /dev/ id that your sansa got. If so, you can force mount it.

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Err..... plug a device in.... and wait for nautilus to recognize it and it will give you an error, also it would help to know the /dev/ id that your sansa got. If so, you can force mount it.

That's the problem, no error, and it isn't listed in /dev/ either (as far as I can tell). Just my HDD and nothing else.

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM
That's the problem, no error, and it isn't listed in /dev/ either (as far as I can tell). Just my HDD and nothing else.

I meant if you had it before.

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM
That old firmware worked, thanks;)

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I meant if you had it before.

Oh I see, sorry. :) yeah I did have it before /dev/sdb

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Find a guide on how to force a mount on linux, it should help. I'm too lazy right now.

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Find a guide on how to force a mount on linux, it should help. I'm too lazy right now.

Woudn't force mounting only work if was listed in /dev/? which is not the case here.

dragos240
June 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Woudn't force mounting only work if was listed in /dev/? which is not the case here.

So sdb isn't listed? Not even sdb1? It should still be in /dev

Ebuntor
June 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
So sdb isn't listed? Not even sdb1? It should still be in /dev

No, like I said a few posts back it isn't listed, that's the weird thing about it. Yeah of course if it was in /dev I could mount it, no problem. Strange thing is that if I star Virtualbox it is still listed and my virtual Windows install can detect it (it can't format it either unfortunately)

But don't worry about it, like I said I had this problem before, I'll just find a Mac and format it in OSX like I did the last time.

Yes
June 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM
So how many people have gotten it to work and how many people have bricked theirs? I'd really really love to try this out but I'm scared of bricking it.

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Reformated the micro sd card. Now it works with the latest firmware. :D

PatrickMoore
June 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
ok so after nearly bricking my player and recovering it, i found out some information.
BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL ROCKBOX
check your firmware on your fuze.

if it starts with a 2 its the second release of the player and has different hardware specifications.
it may not work with yours.

trust me i went through a huge headache with mine which is of no fault of anyone but me but this is incompatable if its a version 2 fuze.

RPG Master
June 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM
OK I did it, now how do I add music? When I go to the music folder its empty... when I have 6 gigs of music on there.
And will using Rockbox drain my battery quicker?

Yes
June 12th, 2009, 02:28 AM
ok so after nearly bricking my player and recovering it, i found out some information.
BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO INSTALL ROCKBOX
check your firmware on your fuze.

if it starts with a 2 its the second release of the player and has different hardware specifications.
it may not work with yours.

trust me i went through a huge headache with mine which is of no fault of anyone but me but this is incompatable if its a version 2 fuze.

And to determine if your Fuze is v1 or v2, from the main menu go to Settings -> System Settings -> Info.

I just installed it and it works great. I love this interface way more than the standard Fuze one.

e: Can't get Doom to work though. It says it can't find the WAD file but I put the doom1.wad file in .rockbox/doom/. Oh well, I suppose that'll be fixed eventually.

And also after it boots the standard firmware for USB transfer, it freezes halfway through the refreshing media screen when you unplug it. Just to a soft reset (hold the power button up for about 15 seconds) and it turns off, when you turn it back on it boots Rockbox like normal.

PatrickMoore
June 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
And to determine if your Fuze is v1 or v2, from the main menu go to Settings -> System Settings -> Info.

I just installed it and it works great. I love this interface way more than the standard Fuze one.

did you install on a version 2 fuze?
because if you did please help me out

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
OK I did it, now how do I add music? When I go to the music folder its empty... when I have 6 gigs of music on there.
And will using Rockbox drain my battery quicker?

I don't remember exactly but there is somewhere you go and it asks if you
want to create a database.

cooltomcat
June 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Many thanks to dragos 240 for this howto!
This works fine on my fuze 8GB with external 2GB card.

Yes
June 12th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I don't remember exactly but there is somewhere you go and it asks if you
want to create a database.

Just go from the mainmenu to Database and it'll ask you if you want to create one if it doesn't already exist.

@PatrickMoore - sorry, mine's a v1 Fuze.

GeneralTrue
June 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
all the gbc games in rockboy are very very very very slow what can i do? or is it cause this is no offical release

clonne4crw
June 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Ok. I just installed Rockbox on my Rev 1 Fuze. It only does audio, but it is VERY good at it. I am now addicted to Tetris.

The question about the Music folder being empty. This happened to me, I have to first browse into the /##MUSIC##/ folder to see anything on it.

Secondly, Rockbox ONLY does audio, not video, so I figured out that by HOLDING DOWN [<<] (the reverse key) on bootup (before the Rockbox logo appears), it will boot the Sansa firmware.

Have fun!

Yes
June 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I got Doom to work! I had missed one of the .wad files on the Wiki page (rockdoom.wad), I just copied that over and it works great. Except I don't think the Fuze has enough buttons, cause I can't figure out how to jump.

Oh and Pacman is a pain cause all the buttons are rotated 90 degrees from what you think they should do.

ktp
June 13th, 2009, 02:15 AM
did you install on a version 2 fuze?
because if you did please help me out

Looking here might help...but seems like not many people have tried v2.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaAMS

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Ok. I just installed Rockbox on my Rev 1 Fuze. It only does audio, but it is VERY good at it. I am now addicted to Tetris.

The question about the Music folder being empty. This happened to me, I have to first browse into the /##MUSIC##/ folder to see anything on it.

Secondly, Rockbox ONLY does audio, not video, so I figured out that by HOLDING DOWN [<<] (the reverse key) on bootup (before the Rockbox logo appears), it will boot the Sansa firmware.

Have fun!

Let me explain this. The ##MUSIC## folder is the folder that is shown when MTP mode is activated, it's where all your music goes.

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 02:24 AM
And the v2 has a COMPLETELY different hardware set, and it WILL NOT work with this, do not try. YOU WILL FAIL AND MOST LIKELY GET YOUR FUZE V2 BRICKED!!!!!!! Just thought I would state that.

Yes
June 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Dragos how did you compile Rockbox? I keep getting the error '/usr/bin/arm-elf-ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots' when I run make.

e: Maybe it's got something to do with the export line in my .bashrc? I think that's supposed to make it use a different version of arm-elf-gcc in /usr/local instead of /usr/bin but I'm not sure. The line is 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/arm-elf/bin'. Is that right?

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Wow I'm surprised this many people have Sansas.

NFblaze
June 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Well, I think it's because its carried in alot of the major stores which gives it exposure. Also, I bought mine in Kuwait, and I've seen it in a couple of other countries.

When I was working at a popular retail shop, when the parents came in and inquired about ipods, and then promptly fainted after they saw the price, once we revived them we showed them the Sandisk products, which pretty muched packed more features in it and was alot cheaper.

Also, this is a Linux forum. Sansa Fuze supports Ogg and FLAC and is Linux friendly because of selectable USB modes and drag and drop support.

Did I mention it packs alot more than an ipod and is cheaper.

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Yea I guess the main reason is that this is a Linux forum. But in the real world, I probably see 1 Sansa for every 100 iPods. Anyhow it's still the best-selling non-iPod player. I actually have both a Sansa e200 and a 2nd gen Nano, and I like the Sansa with Rockbox better.

PatrickMoore
June 13th, 2009, 05:03 AM
And the v2 has a COMPLETELY different hardware set, and it WILL NOT work with this, do not try. YOU WILL FAIL AND MOST LIKELY GET YOUR FUZE V2 BRICKED!!!!!!! Just thought I would state that.

there is a solution if you are overly ambitious and a bit reckless like me

format via gparted if you get a fat error or it locks up.

seriously worked for me and recovered the original fuze firmware too

DoctorMO
June 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I wonder if this works without an SD Card, if not that should be in the instructions.

I just tried this with my Sana Fuze and it wouldn't even mount, MTP mode works fine, but MSC fails to even register with linux at all.

GeneralTrue
June 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I wonder if this works without an SD Card, if not that should be in the instructions.

I just tried this with my Sana Fuze and it wouldn't even mount, MTP mode works fine, but MSC fails to even register with linux at all.

i`m not using a sd card and its working

ALSO ANYONE THAT INSTALLED ROCKBOX ON THEIR FUZE IS THE ROCKBOY ALSO SLOW FOR YOU? LIKE UNPLAYABLE?

Yes
June 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
i`m not using a sd card and its working

ALSO ANYONE THAT INSTALLED ROCKBOX ON THEIR FUZE IS THE ROCKBOY ALSO SLOW FOR YOU? LIKE UNPLAYABLE?

It's not slow for me, but how are you using all the buttons? You need up, down, left, right, A, B, start, and select. The Fuze is missing two. Or can you do combinations, like up and down for B?

Changturkey
June 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
This only works with V1 players right? Because there's a V2 of the Fuze and Clip.

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
This only works with V1 players right? Because there's a V2 of the Fuze and Clip.

Yep only with v1.

hyperdude111
June 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I bought a V1 player today and want to do this.

1. Is this possible to undo if something goes wrong.
2. Does this replace the actual firmware?
3. If I prefer fuze firmware can i switch back?

Tanks

Don't worry, after research I found out all the info I need.

GeneralTrue
June 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
It's not slow for me, but how are you using all the buttons? You need up, down, left, right, A, B, start, and select. The Fuze is missing two. Or can you do combinations, like up and down for B?

Well i tried to set all buttons but as you just said.we just dont have enough buttons but i could not test it in game as its too slow . how did you get it fast like what do you do? which games do you play?

and anyone who wants too share their experience with rockbox on the fuze and figure out solutions for problems please add me xgeneraltruex@hotmail.com

Yes
June 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Well i tried to set all buttons but as you just said.we just dont have enough buttons but i could not test it in game as its too slow . how did you get it fast like what do you do? which games do you play?

and anyone who wants too share their experience with rockbox on the fuze and figure out solutions for problems please add me xgeneraltruex@hotmail.com

I just found some random ROMs online to try it out. I think it was Street Racer or something.

I found a patch (after making my own lol) that fixes the button for Pacbox, I can't stop playing that game now.

GeneralTrue
June 14th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I just found some random ROMs online to try it out. I think it was Street Racer or something.

I found a patch (after making my own lol) that fixes the button for Pacbox, I can't stop playing that game now.

What do you mean with fixing the buttons? and where can i get that patch?

Yes
June 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
With the current source, the screen tilts 90 degrees but the buttons don't, so when you hold it so the screen is right way up the buttons are all screwed up (left doesnt go left, up doesnt go up, its all very confusing). The patch fixing that is here: here (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/10235?string=pacbox&project=1&search_name=&type[0]=4&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=open&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=). You'll have to recompile Rockbox though, but that is really quite simple.

If you do compile it again, the devs recommend using a version prior to 21227, as versions after that have had random file corruption and other nasty stuff. Just grab the 21212 source from here http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=source

dragos240
June 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Tanks

1. Most likely.
2. No it does not.
3, Yes of course, just turn off the rockbox, and plug it in to your charger, and load the original sansa firmware.

GeneralTrue
June 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
1. Most likely.
2. No it does not.
3, Yes of course, just turn off the rockbox, and plug it in to your charger, and load the original sansa firmware.

1.Can you load the rockboy and spectrum games normaly?
2.If yes what about the controls? there are not enough buttons
3.Will the official release of rockbox for the sansa fuze be better and fix the bugs that are in it right now?

thanks in advance for reading.:popcorn:

Yes
June 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
1.Can you load the rockboy and spectrum games normaly?
2.If yes what about the controls? there are not enough buttons
3.Will the official release of rockbox for the sansa fuze be better and fix the bugs that are in it right now?

thanks in advance for reading.:popcorn:

1. Yes for rockboy. I dunno about spectrum games, I suppose I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes.
2. Yeah, I don't see how you can play Gameboy games on a Fuze. But according to the Wiki you only need five buttons for the Spectrum, so that should definitely be doable.
3. Of course! That'll be a little while though. Right now they're still running into some major problems (i.e. random file system corruption on some of the more recent daily builds) but as they work those out they'll move on to address the bugs and add some more features.

dragos240
June 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Wow 113 posts? Thats a heck of a lot of people that want rockbox in their fuze!

GeneralTrue
June 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
1. Yes for rockboy. I dunno about spectrum games, I suppose I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes.
2. Yeah, I don't see how you can play Gameboy games on a Fuze. But according to the Wiki you only need five buttons for the Spectrum, so that should definitely be doable.
3. Of course! That'll be a little while though. Right now they're still running into some major problems (i.e. random file system corruption on some of the more recent daily builds) but as they work those out they'll move on to address the bugs and add some more features.

Oke thanks lemme know about the spectrum cause i can only load 1 spectrum game until now but i heard i need SNA files but i cannot get them at WORLD OF SPECTRUM

hyperdude111
June 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Oh yeh i found out that this is a dualboot. So if you want to boot sansa firmware then press "|<<" or "left" key during boot and it will boot sansa.

Yes
June 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Oke thanks lemme know about the spectrum cause i can only load 1 spectrum game until now but i heard i need SNA files but i cannot get them at WORLD OF SPECTRUM

I've tried the .tap file for RainbowIsland and that didn't work, it froze after loading to 99%. The .tzx file loaded to 100% but then seemed to freeze.

As I understand it, .sna files are like saved games. If you want to load a preexisting game you can use an .sna file, but you don't need them.

Waaaaaaiiiiit the .tzx file just loaded. Kinda. I'm at the starting screen now but it says it's 99% loaded. It drew the screen really slowly though, I'm thinking it might run too slowly to actually play anything.

I'm gonna fiddle around and see if I can get it to do anything.

e: Can anyone suggest me some decent ZX Spectrum games I could try?

cubeist
June 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thank You Dragos240.

Worked perfectly on my v1...took less than 3minutes including the d/l!

After unpluging it I got a message on my fuze saying "Firmware upgrade in progress"

So I didn't turn it off, just waited for the 'upgrade' to finish, then it automatically rebooted itself into Rockbox...very cool!

Radio works too!

Edit -
RB won't boot if I have the external microSD card in the slot... it just goes to the rockbox loading screen and freezes. But if I boot without the microSD in, it boots fine, and then I can insert the card and the contents are accessible in the database.

Yes
June 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Gah it turns out that number was the speed. Ooops.

Now I've got to figure out how to map the keys...

e: It appears that once you start the game, you can just use up for up, left for left, etc. and select for shoot/jump. The problem is a lot of games expect you to press "Space" or "Enter" to start the actual game, and I can't figure out how to get past this. If anyone finds something, please let me know.

e2: There's a virtual keyboard that you can use to press Enter. For some reason space doesn't work, which is really a pain cause that seems to be all I need to start the game...

e3: I selected a random blank spot on the virtual keyboard and was able to start the game. Once I started the game though, none of the controls seemed to work. Perhaps it's just buggy.

e4: Yeah, this game seems very buggy. Sometimes I can go into the virtual keyboard and press q to jump (it's a moon buggy kinda game), but other times it doesn't work. And mapping the up button to q never works. I'm gonna try a different game.

dragos240
June 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Oh yeh i found out that this is a dualboot. So if you want to boot sansa firmware then press "|<<" or "left" key during boot and it will boot sansa.

Cool! I didn't even know that!

GeneralTrue
June 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Gah it turns out that number was the speed. Ooops.

Now I've got to figure out how to map the keys...

e: It appears that once you start the game, you can just use up for up, left for left, etc. and select for shoot/jump. The problem is a lot of games expect you to press "Space" or "Enter" to start the actual game, and I can't figure out how to get past this. If anyone finds something, please let me know.

e2: There's a virtual keyboard that you can use to press Enter. For some reason space doesn't work, which is really a pain cause that seems to be all I need to start the game...

e3: I selected a random blank spot on the virtual keyboard and was able to start the game. Once I started the game though, none of the controls seemed to work. Perhaps it's just buggy.

e4: Yeah, this game seems very buggy. Sometimes I can go into the virtual keyboard and press q to jump (it's a moon buggy kinda game), but other times it doesn't work. And mapping the up button to q never works. I'm gonna try a different game.

yeah ive played around with the spectrum allot but it just doesnt seem to work btw try out DIGGER thats the only one that works for me completly all the others just wont start

Yes
June 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Well most of mine will start, I just can't get the buttons to do anything.

I'm just gonna give up for now and try again later. I'm assuming they'll address that later on.

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Well most of mine will start, I just can't get the buttons to do anything.

I'm just gonna give up for now and try again later. I'm assuming they'll address that later on.

Your buttons don't work? Elaborate. Do you have a v2?

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Your buttons don't work? Elaborate. Do you have a v2?

He ment the buttons in the spectrum games.i have the same problem and have a v1 so he probaly does too. what about you dragos does it work for you?

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
He ment the buttons in the spectrum games.i have the same problem and have a v1 so he probaly does too. what about you dragos does it work for you?

They work fine for me :/

Yes
June 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
You can play ZX Spectrum games and the buttons and everything works fine? What Rockbox version are you using? Could you link me to the .txz files you're using?

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
They work fine for me :/

yeah which spectrum games are you using from which web

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM
yeah which spectrum games are you using from which web

I thought you meant the normal games. No I don't think I have any on mine, aside from that, the version I gave you guys isn't stable, so some things may not work. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I thought you meant the normal games. No I don't think I have any on mine, aside from that, the version I gave you guys isn't stable, so some things may not work. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ow thanks for informing us so we can still look forward too the official release of rockbox for the sansa fuze;p

Yes
June 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah if the version dragos packaged was 21228 or later you really shouldn't be using it, there's been some really nasty problems. And they're random, so just because everyting seems fine doesn't mean you won't turn it on next time to find it's corrupted your file system and you've lost all your music.

I've got to run out, but I'll post the .zip for the version I'm using (21212 or something), that should be safe to use.

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hmm.... It hasn't had any issues so far except for no USB

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
o but if it corrupts does that mean i cant use my fuze at all anymore or that i will just lose my music? cause i got my music backed up. but i would love for you too post your version yes.

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 09:58 PM
o but if it corrupts does that mean i cant use my fuze at all anymore or that i will just lose my music? cause i got my music backed up. but i would love for you too post your version yes.

It all depends, but it has a high chance of bricking if installed incorrectly, and as of now, there is no way of unbricking a fuze yet.

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
It all depends, but it has a high chance of bricking if installed incorrectly, and as of now, there is no way of unbricking a fuze yet.

whats the wrong way of having it installed if you know? i dont want to get rid of my rockbox anymore now i have it cause its so wonderfull

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
whats the wrong way of having it installed if you know? i dont want to get rid of my rockbox anymore now i have it cause its so wonderfull

Well, if it works, you don't have to worry, it occurs WHEN installing it. You should be fine.

Yes
June 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I don't think that's right. I'm not sure if they're serious enough to brick it, but they said that you should be using build 21227 or earlier. They said that they're completely random issues, so even if it seems to be working fine you could randomly have problems.

I'm not sure on that though. You may be ok if it installed fine. Anyway, here's build 21197, which should be perfectly fine (barring any normal pre-release issues): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3HV4LBKJ

Also, does anyone know of any good themes for the Fuze?

e: That .zip also has the patched Pacbox.

GeneralTrue
June 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think that's right. I'm not sure if they're serious enough to brick it, but they said that you should be using build 21227 or earlier. They said that they're completely random issues, so even if it seems to be working fine you could randomly have problems.

I'm not sure on that though. You may be ok if it installed fine. Anyway, here's build 21197, which should be perfectly fine (barring any normal pre-release issues): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3HV4LBKJ

i know that you can use all the iriver H3xx (http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=h300) and iPod Color/Photo (http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=ipodcolor) themes cause they are the same screen size i do that too. i`m gonna try out that build now thank you kindly edit also the roms are still slow for me should i just throw away the old rockbox folder and replace it with yours?

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM

Well the official page says that it can and will if installed incorrectly, see the link:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaAMS

Unbricking

It's possible to brick an AMS Sansa by running faulty code. E200v2's can be put in a recovery mode by shorting a couple of pins on the PCB, see the SansaE200v2 (http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaE200v2) page for details, or see http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=281975&postcount=3
Other AMS Sansas can also get into this mode, but can not be unbricked this way (they present an USB disk of size 0 that cannot be written).

xuCGC002
June 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Quick question- does rockbox support the FM radio? I know I can just switch back to the normal fuze firmware, but just asking.

dragos240
June 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Quick question- does rockbox support the FM radio? I know I can just switch back to the normal fuze firmware, but just asking.

Yes, but it counts by fives, so not really >.<

Yes
June 16th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Problems caused by installing it incorrectly and the random problems from using one of the recent builds are different. I don't know if the random problems can brick it, all I'm saying is when the devs tell you you shouldn't be using a certian version, you probably shouldn't use it.

My FM radio works fine. It counts by .05 if you don't have any presets, but I don't know why you would need to count by anything less than that.

Thanks GeneralTune, those themes work great : D

dragos240
June 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Problems caused by installing it incorrectly and the random problems from using one of the recent builds are different. I don't know if the random problems can brick it, all I'm saying is when the devs tell you you shouldn't be using a certian version, you probably shouldn't use it.

My FM radio works fine. It counts by .05 if you don't have any presets, but I don't know why you would need to count by anything less than that.

Thanks GeneralTune, those themes work great : D

Then how can I get to 90.9 wbur?

cubeist
June 16th, 2009, 01:36 AM

Mine counts by .05 as well... so 90.9 would be between 90.85 and 90.95 :mrgreen:

Yes
June 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM

Make sure you don't have it autoscan, or else it might miss some stations and since it only tunes to the presets you won't be able to get to anything it missed.

Just curious, anyone know where you can get more fonts?

GeneralTrue
June 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Make sure you don't have it autoscan, or else it might miss some stations and since it only tunes to the presets you won't be able to get to anything it missed.

Just curious, anyone know where you can get more fonts?

The way i got more fonts is by downloading the orginal rockbox installer and i just installed all the fonts with that progam

clonne4crw
June 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Let me explain this. The ##MUSIC## folder is the folder that is shown when MTP mode is activated, it's where all your music goes.
Ahh. Makes sense to me. Was wondering why that was.

clonne4crw
June 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Because they're more awesome than some stupid, overpriced iPod. Over the past few years, I've been able to convince at least 4 other friends to go with the Fuze instead of the Nano.

clonne4crw
June 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Tanks

1) yes, it is. Just install the Fuze firmware like it's an upgrade.
2) No, it sits on top of the Fuze fw.
3)Yes, just hold down the REV (<<) button on bootup.

Schaep
June 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi all
I want to install rockbox on my fuze as well, but i've got a few questions first. You have a zip file at the original post, and a much smaller .rar file on the previous page. Which one should I use? Is the one from the previous page not yet prepared, like the one at the original post, where you can just copy the folder to the root( right?) ?

GeneralTrue
June 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hi all
I want to install rockbox on my fuze as well, but i've got a few questions first. You have a zip file at the original post, and a much smaller .rar file on the previous page. Which one should I use? Is the one from the previous page not yet prepared, like the one at the original post, where you can just copy the folder to the root( right?) ?

use the one a page back which yes has posted.

Schaep
June 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
And I can just extract the folder to the root of my fuze, without any other preps?

GeneralTrue
June 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
And I can just extract the folder to the root of my fuze, without any other preps?

yeah just extract it and let it do the firmware update. if you get a error when you start your fuze up just put old sansa firmware over it too restore it.

Schaep
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
So, I extracted the folder to my Fuze (and it's in MSC), but I don't get rockbox when I reboot. What did I do wrong?

GeneralTrue
June 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM
So, I extracted the folder to my Fuze (and it's in MSC), but I don't get rockbox when I reboot. What did I do wrong?

I`m sorry on the first page download that file too BUT DONT USE THE ROCKBOX FOLDER ON THAT ONE use the other file thats in it and put it on your fuze and use the rockbox folder on the 14th page.that way it will do a firmware update.

Schaep
June 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yes.
Edit: Just read your edit. Will try that.
And it worked. Thanks a mil.

GeneralTrue
June 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yes.
Edit: Just read your edit. Will try that.
And it worked. Thanks a mil.

Your welcome enjoy =DD make sure you used the rockbox folder off the link on page 14 and the firmware updater on the first page or else you could run into problems

OMIGHTY1
June 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
When I didn't put the .rockbox folder on, it actually showed a screen saying Rockbox, and said it could find some file. When I tried the .rockbox file (from page 14), it just says "refreshing media". What am I doing wrong?

dragos240
June 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM
When I didn't put the .rockbox folder on, it actually showed a screen saying Rockbox, and said it could find some file. When I tried the .rockbox file (from page 14), it just says "refreshing media". What am I doing wrong?

Good news:
You installed the bootloader,

Bad news:
the .rockbox directory isn't there.

More good news:
It's fixable, and easily too. On bootup, hold the left button "<<|" or something, i will boot up into the original firmware, now set it to MSC and try extracting the archive again.

Yes
June 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM

Is it the normal "Refreshing media" that the Fuze shows after you put something on it? Try just pushing the power button up for 10 seconds or so until it turns off and then turn it back on and Rockbox should boot normally.

OMIGHTY1
June 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Good news:
You installed the bootloader,

Bad news:
the .rockbox directory isn't there.

More good news:
It's fixable, and easily too. On bootup, hold the left button "<<|" or something, i will boot up into the original firmware, now set it to MSC and try extracting the archive again.

Well, it now goes to the screen with the Rockbox logo on it, and has text on the top that says:
"Loading firmware
File not found"
What do I have to do now?

[Edit]: Oh, and I do have it in the MSC mode.

dragos240
June 21st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Well, it now goes to the screen with the Rockbox logo on it, and has text on the top that says:
"Loading firmware
File not found"
What do I have to do now?
Hmm......

Do you know if it's a v1 or v2 before we go any further? If you don't boot into the oiginal firmware and go into system information, if it says 2.??.? it's v2, and I can't help you, if it's 1.??.? then I can help you.

OMIGHTY1
June 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hmm......

Do you know if it's a v1 or v2 before we go any further? If you don't boot into the oiginal firmware and go into system information, if it says 2.??.? it's v2, and I can't help you, if it's 1.??.? then I can help you.

I have V01.02.26A

dragos240
June 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I have V01.02.26A

Okay. You can run this and I can help you. Now, just give me a screenshot of that directory with hidden items enabled, with a graphical file manager like nautilus or dolhpin.

OMIGHTY1
June 22nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Ermm... I'm currently in ******* XP.

dragos240
June 22nd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Ermm... I'm currently in ******* XP.

Well thats your problem..... go to a linux machine.

OMIGHTY1
June 22nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
lol, another problem that XP creates! I'll boot to Ubuntu when I get home. Dang, I've gotta remember to reinstall that...:lolflag:

GeneralTrue
June 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
lol, another problem that XP creates! I'll boot to Ubuntu when I get home. Dang, I've gotta remember to reinstall that...:lolflag:

You can also make a screenshot of the folder with windows xp..... just press the print screen button then go too paint and hold the CTRL button and then press V

OMIGHTY1
June 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
You can also make a screenshot of the folder with windows xp..... just press the print screen button then go too paint and hold the CTRL button and then press V

Heh, XP even makes screenshots harder!

OMIGHTY1
June 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Well thats your problem..... go to a linux machine.

Will Mac work, since it's Unix?

OMIGHTY1
June 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
It worked on the Mac! :lolflag:

GeneralTrue
June 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
It worked on the Mac! :lolflag:

Aint you happy now NOW POST THE SCREEN=D:popcorn:

miggols99
June 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Is this going to support USB? When I plug it in when it is in Rockbox, it freezes. I can still copy files when I turn it off and plug it in though...

GeneralTrue
June 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Is this going to support USB? When I plug it in when it is in Rockbox, it freezes. I can still copy files when I turn it off and plug it in though...

Just turn your fuze off totaly and plug it into usb.

dragos240
June 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Just turn your fuze off totaly and plug it into usb.

OR turn it off completely and hold the left button on boot.

GeneralTrue
June 25th, 2009, 10:48 PM
OR turn it off completely and hold the left button on boot.

Yeah that will get you into the orginal firmware but its not needed if you just want to put some stuff on your sansa fuze.

Gryphen
June 26th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Can't you just format a v2 and install an older firmware and then install Rockbox?

dragos240
June 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Can't you just format a v2 and install an older firmware and then install Rockbox?

It's not the firmware, it's the hardware, it's completely different than a v1's hardware, therefore it won't work.

Gryphen
June 26th, 2009, 02:36 AM
It's not the firmware, it's the hardware, it's completely different than a v1's hardware, therefore it won't work.
Will there be a version of rockbox for the v2

Yes
June 26th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Will there be a version of rockbox for the v2

They're working on it, they'll have it eventually.

Gryphen
June 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Is the V2 hardware better?
Will there be video support?
And how long will it take for them to release it?

dragos240
June 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Until a stable one? Probably half of a year or something, and even by then there will be bugs.

GeneralTrue
June 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM

There is mpeg video support only.

curu
June 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hi, thanks for the archives, it worked for me. DO you run it with a SD card plugged ? I can't, Rockbox seems to block at the logo start. Maybe a more recent build could fix it ?

Regards

GeneralTrue
June 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hi, thanks for the archives, it worked for me. DO you run it with a SD card plugged ? I can't, Rockbox seems to block at the logo start. Maybe a more recent build could fix it ?

Regards

Is the rockbox folder on the like uhmm 15th page or something and then use the other file that will update your firmware on page 1. then let it update and reboot.and no you do not need the sd card.

curu
June 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hum yes I used the fuzea.bin from the file on the first page and the rockbox folder from the 14th page file. It works nicely, if I have removed the 8 Go micro SD card. My problem is with this SD card Rockbox don't run properly and blocks at the start.

curu
June 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well I tried some manips and it seems it works and recognizes the SD card when I hotplug it when rockbax has started. With it already plugged Rockbox blocks.

dragos240
June 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Well I tried some manips and it seems it works and recognizes the SD card when I hotplug it when rockbax has started. With it already plugged Rockbox blocks.

Your english is abeit broken, although I think I can make it out. The usb connection is broken on the rockbox, turn your rockbox off and plug the usb cord into your fuze, it will recognize it.

GeneralTrue
June 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Your english is abeit broken, although I think I can make it out. The usb connection is broken on the rockbox, turn your rockbox off and plug the usb cord into your fuze, it will recognize it.

The sd card never ever seemed too work for me not even with the orginal fuze software

curu
June 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Well I think my english is more broken than you thought. I have no problems to recognize the SD card when I plug the Fuze on the pc. My problem is with the Fuze itself when the SD card is inserted within. In this case Rockbox freezes at the start, when the logo is displayed.

The workaround I found to use the SD card on the player is to boot Rockbox without having the SD inserted and then insert the SD when the boot ends to the general menu. This way the SD card is recognized by the player although sometimes it also freezes on this step.

Coldbird
July 4th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I developed a easy way for Sansa Fuze users to stay up 2 date with the Rockbox SVN...

http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/index.php

I doubt it needs a explanation. Have fun guys.):P

dragos240
July 4th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Good job. I would be too lazy to do that. Thanks coldbird!

dragos240
July 4th, 2009, 02:03 AM
EDIT, coldbird, your link has been added to the first page.

Coldbird
July 4th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I feel honored.:popcorn:
The page should be easy to use - when a new SVN version is out... just load the rebuild page on it and a whole new version will get compiled and packaged.

The script automatically compiles the bootloader and applies it to the latest official sansa software and packs the newly compiled rockbox firmware + bootloader installer + readme + latest official sansa firmware for uninstalling into a rar file.

But I suppose you know that already.

doorknob60
July 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Sweet, it works on Fuzes now? I use RB on my Sansa e260 (pre-Fuze) and I love it. Maybe I'll buy a Fuze now if something happens to my current one.

EDIT: Whoa, I just updated to the latest Rockbox with USB support for e200, and now when it's plugged in when I press the buttons on it it CONTROLS EXAILE! HOW? That's pretty sweet I gotta say, since normally my keyboard media buttons don't even work without extra configuration :-P

dragos240
July 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I feel honored.:popcorn:
The page should be easy to use - when a new SVN version is out... just load the rebuild page on it and a whole new version will get compiled and packaged.

The script automatically compiles the bootloader and applies it to the latest official sansa software and packs the newly compiled rockbox firmware + bootloader installer + readme + latest official sansa firmware for uninstalling into a rar file.

But I suppose you know that already.

No problem coldbird, it's very helpful that you provided that link, and this small project needs that. Thank you.

Coldbird
July 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sweet, it works on Fuzes now? I use RB on my Sansa e260 (pre-Fuze) and I love it. Maybe I'll buy a Fuze now if something happens to my current one.
Be careful which one you buy... the model #2 Sansa Fuze aren't supported.

Which Sansa Fuze it is you can check by it's firmware version on the Information screen of your Sansa.

If the firmware version starts with 01 - you're fine. If it's 02 thought you're screwed.;)

Edit: Known problem. If two guys rebuild the source at the same time... it ruins both builds... and still ticks the 1-hour-timer. This can lead to unavailability of Rockbox for Fuze for 1 hour in the worst case scenario...

So it would be a good idea to mirror the created builds somewhere. Just in case two idiots manage to rebuild the file at the same time. >_>

PS. If you see the currently available version to be fuze01.02.26.rockbox..rar - ITS BROKEN. This file is output, every time the above happens. I will redo the script sometime soon to prevent that. Till then that means... trigger a rebuild to fix the issue. If a rebuild is currently not possible. You gotta wait.

2stepsteve
July 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hi

How stable is this current version of Rockbox? Has the currupting of the file system been addressed?

Is there anyway to completely remove Rockbox once installed?
Thanks

Yes
July 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
It's definetly got issues, but for the most part it seems pretty stable. The biggest problem I have is when I try to play all my songs on shuffle it seems to run out of memory after a few songs and crash.

I dunno if the file system corruption has been addressed, you can read through this (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.1050) thread to see what people are saying about that.

Just reinstall the original firmware to completly remove Rockbox.

dragos240
July 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hi

How stable is this current version of Rockbox? Has the currupting of the file system been addressed?

Thanks

Yes, remove the .rockbox and install the original firmware.

Coldbird
July 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I at the very least had no corruption on my uSD card or main memory till now. So I suppose it is.

I'm also using the database feature, which was said to trigger the corruption - and still I'm fine.

My online compile script from the very first page of this thread automatically packs you a rar file containing the following files...

.rockbox (folder with rockbox firmware svn build)
fuzeA.bin (latest sansa fuze fw + rockbox fw bootloader installer)
fuzeA.bak (original latest sansa fuze fw)
readme.txt (just some warnings and basic instructions)

The readme explains both how to install rockbox and how to remove it again with just the contents of the rar file.

Keep in mind thought that no matter what you do... by installing Rockbox - even if you remove it lateron - you break DRM support.

:popcorn:

EDIT: Guys - due to a damn SSH mistake of mine... (cd-ing into the wrong folder + rm while I was not quite there mentally) - I lost the script.

Give me a few minutes to rebuild it. I've got a backup around here somewhere. I'll use this downtime for maintenance and improvement of the script while I'm at it.

So I'm sorry that the script won't be available for 30 minutes up to 1 hour.

I will report back when it's back up.

2stepsteve
July 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for that dragos240 and Coldbird :)

I installed rockbox last night and had a good play with it for 4 hours, worked without any problems.

Today things are acting up slightly I had a couple of 'Data abort at 3001E5F8' errors when selecting an MP3 from the main memory. This gets a mention on the Rockbox forums.

Coldbird
July 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I did notice a bug myself, a few flac files of mine refuse to play and simply "nuke" the player.

It doesn't turn off... just blackscreens and nothing happens anymore.

I have to manually turn it off when that happens and reboot. It's always the same flac files that **** up though... Amaranth from Nightwish for example...

I think I will start a bit of debugging myself with those songs and see if I can write a bugfix.

Edit: Oh just noticed - yeah no problem. Glad to be of help.

EDIT! IMPORTANT!: Script recoded from scratch, back up and working. Also has a multi-rebuild lock in it now. No more broken builds when multiple people try to compile at once.

2stepsteve
July 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Looks like the guys at rockbox are now happy enough with things to start offically giving out test builds.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=22137.msg152789#msg152789

Chronon
July 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Any folks who wish to help get Rockbox officially supported on the Fuze (and e2x0 v2)should consider installing a test build and reporting issues on the Rockbox forums.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=22137.0

Coldbird
July 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I know they started it. In fact I've got a feeling I was the trigger for them to do that... the administrators got back to me about my live-svn-builds. ^^'

dragos240
July 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Wow...... 21 pages of this....

2stepsteve
July 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I know they started it. In fact I've got a feeling I was the trigger for them to do that... the administrators got back to me about my live-svn-builds. ^^'

I am still using your service Coldbird, it is much more convenient having all the files ready for download in one rar file instead of fiddling around with downloading other files and running an exe.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for providing something which works and which made the guys at rockbox notice that they need to change and move in to precomplied binaries for the fuze. I hope that email you got gave you some praise!

Thanks again :)

Coldbird
July 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Not exactly praise. More like demand and trying to make me feel guilty.
Not all admins though! One admin was in fact quite supportive and understanding. I'm not mentioning names though.

About the fullpack. I fear this will change a tiny bit though. At the request of the Rockbox Administrators I was asked to remove the retail firmwares and the precompiled installers from my package.

As to avoid trouble with the Rockbox Forum Administration I will indeed rewrite my scripts a tiny bit to follow their request.

Don't worry about it though. The Package will remain just as simple to use as always. I will find a way.

EDIT: I'm not much of a advertiser but still I will try to misuse that post a tiny bit.
If you guys ever need me, contact me via Jabber. I host my own Jabber Server, together with many other services (as you might have noticed *laugh*) on celes-network.de.

JID: coldbird@celes-network.de

For Linux Users this really should be the PROPER alternative to MSN, etc... as its the only TRUELY free network. You can just use Pidgin or Spark for connecting. On Pidgin the Account Type is XMMP btw. ^^

Chronon
July 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM
AFAIK, the main problem that certain members of the forum staff have is with advertising copyright infringement on the forums. If you fix this, then I think there's no further problem.

People are, of course, free to use whatever build they like. However, it would help the target to gain official support if you tried out the official test build and reported any bugs to the project.

Coldbird
July 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Chronon - the official build is pretty obsolete seriously. Every bugreport is just AS valid - as long as you mention what Rockbox Version you used to trigger it, the administrators and developers can - afterall - rebuild exactly that version using their SVN repository.

So if you used one of my builds for example and reported a bug you found - it would be just as valid and accepted as the "official" build.

The only problem the admins have with my build is that I'm providing fuzeA.bin and fuzeA.bak.

Chronon
July 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
If the Rockbox devs want to test against a specific revision -- such as the case when they offer a particular test build -- then I think providing bug reports against this particular revision is better than providing them against a different SVN revision. The surest way to know you're testing against the version they want data about is to use their test build.

Obviously, people can do what they like. They can choose for themselves whether or not they wish to contribute feedback to the project and whether they wish to use your builds or the project's builds. If anyone does decide to provide feedback, it's worth installing the official build so you can be sure that your observations apply to the particular revision of interest.

Anyway, I don't have any further agenda in this thread. I pointed out the existence of the official test builds and why, from a methodological standpoint, they may be preferred.

Edit: removed unnecessary bits about copyright issues.

GeneralTrue
July 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Finaly i was waiting for a stable release sort of.. now my gbc games run smoothly

curu
July 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
With your Fuze ? i tried some games as Pokemon and Zelda with the 14th page archive build and It runned pretty slowly.

GeneralTrue
July 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
With your Fuze ? i tried some games as Pokemon and Zelda with the 14th page archive build and It runned pretty slowly.

use the link from icebird on the first page thats the most recent build and will make it work great

dragos240
July 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
use the link from icebird on the first page thats the most recent build and will make it work great

coldbird?

GeneralTrue
July 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
coldbird?

Yea theres a link on the very first page just use this link for the latest rockbox build

http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/index.php (http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/index.php)

Thats the up to date version always so keep checking back too see if its edited.although when the offical rockbox for the sansa fuze is released just use that one.

anishbenji
July 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Once the firmware has been patched to include the rockbox bootloader, I presume, I can keep rockbox up to date by downloading new builds and copying the .rockbox folder on to the fuze? Is there any need or advantage to re-flashing the firmware for new builds (I know there is the chance of bricking your fuze during firmware updates....)?
How much chance is there of bricking it just running the rockbox firmware? From what I understand, reading the this and the Sansa Fuze forums, is that once you install the bootloader safely, you should be fine. Is there any evidence against this?
Thanks for your help,
Anish

dragos240
July 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Yea theres a link on the very first page just use this link for the latest rockbox build

http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/index.php (http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/index.php)

Thats the up to date version always so keep checking back too see if its edited.although when the offical rockbox for the sansa fuze is released just use that one.

You said icebird, it was coldbird.

GeneralTrue
July 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
You said icebird, it was coldbird.

Ooo lol sorry

GeneralTrue
July 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Just a question here.whats everyones favorite gbc game on the sansa fuze?

clonne4crw
July 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Lol. They all run terrible on the little 248MHz CPU.

clonne4crw
July 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Once the firmware has been patched to include the rockbox bootloader, I presume, I can keep rockbox up to date by downloading new builds and copying the .rockbox folder on to the fuze? Is there any need or advantage to re-flashing the firmware for new builds (I know there is the chance of bricking your fuze during firmware updates....)?
How much chance is there of bricking it just running the rockbox firmware? From what I understand, reading the this and the Sansa Fuze forums, is that once you install the bootloader safely, you should be fine. Is there any evidence against this?
Thanks for your help,
Anish

You will not need to reflash with FUZEA.bin again after the first time. All that does is (re)install the BootLoader. You're right, just copy over the new .rockbox folder to upgrade.

I would say there is a little-to-no chance of bricking the Fuze, as it installs just like any other FW update. Just make sure yours is the V1 and not the V2.

GeneralTrue
July 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
You will not need to reflash with FUZEA.bin again after the first time. All that does is (re)install the BootLoader. You're right, just copy over the new .rockbox folder to upgrade.

I would say there is a little-to-no chance of bricking the Fuze, as it installs just like any other FW update. Just make sure yours is the V1 and not the V2.

i think theres no chance at all too brick your sansa fuze that way.the only way i think is that when you try too experiment with it.like trying too configure things which you have no knowledge of or if you go in debug mode.i dont even dair too go in debug mode.

dragos240
July 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
i think theres no chance at all too brick your sansa fuze that way.the only way i think is that when you try too experiment with it.like trying too configure things which you have no knowledge of or if you go in debug mode.i dont even dair too go in debug mode.

Spelling and grammar 101.

dragos240
July 16th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Coldbird's link is broken fellas! We'll wait for them to get it back up.

dragos240
July 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Hi everyone! I just checked out and compiled the absolute latest build of rockbox, with a ton more plugins, and a few bugfixes.
Download it here (http://uppit.com/v/6342FP6G).

GeneralTrue
July 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Spelling and grammar 101.

I`m sorry but english is not my first langauge.

dragos240
July 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It's okay.

Coldbird
July 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
My link is still valid... just remove the index.php...
http://coldbird.celes-network.de/rockboxfuze/

I just deactivated the user-webscript because for some reason the processes created by the apache2 server never end... and they pile up in my servers ram - making it unstable.

So I'm building a new build every now and then and link it there.

dragos240
July 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks cold bird, I updated the link, I'm also going to mention that not everyone has winrar.

PatrickMoore
July 22nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
has anyone got this working on a v2 fuze yet? i really want to upgrade

dragos240
July 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry, the development has not even started. Either get a fuze v1, or wait for people to start working on fuze v2, also, I will try compiling the latest version with the sansa v2 firmware, and see if it works. But no promises.

dragos240
July 22nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm sorry PatrickMoore, I tried to bind the sansa v2 firmware with the rockbox bootloader, but it's not working, they have not even started developing it yet, it returns an error that states:
"./mkamsboot fuzpA.bin bootloader-fuze.sansa output.bin
mkamsboot Version r21996-090722
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[ERR] Unknown firmware model (v2) - model id 0x70
[ERR] Could not load fuzpA.bin"

Even the absolute latest rockbox that I downloaded less than 10 minutes ago is not compatible with the v2 yet. So, please wait, or buy a v1.

PatrickMoore
July 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm sorry PatrickMoore, I tried to bind the sansa v2 firmware with the rockbox bootloader, but it's not working, they have not even started developing it yet, it returns an error that states:
"./mkamsboot fuzpA.bin bootloader-fuze.sansa output.bin
mkamsboot Version r21996-090722
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[ERR] Unknown firmware model (v2) - model id 0x70
[ERR] Could not load fuzpA.bin"

Even the absolute latest rockbox that I downloaded less than 10 minutes ago is not compatible with the v2 yet. So, please wait, or buy a v1.

Dragos, I appreciate the effort you have done great things for the fuze community I'll probably wait and see, or perhaps create a homework assignment to find a working build for the v2. I could've swore ive seen one after searching the darkest depths of the abi forums. if i find anything i will indeed post it immediately

Coldbird
July 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
I will be compiling a new build every 1-2 days, check my link on the first post.

Sansa Fuze V1 only.

adagio89
August 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
Dragos, i want to thank you!:):P Im without any programing skills but this thread let me easy install rockbox on fuze.I have been using rockbox on fuze for a week now, no major problems, only a few crashes. Im very very happy kid now!! :mrgreen: Sound quality is just amazing! Doom wad,themes from rockbox.org works too !:)

computerkid2000
August 10th, 2009, 06:05 AM
i posted somthing on youtube bout rockbox on a sansa clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PhVD5nyrWo)!

dragos240
August 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yes the only issue about the clip model so far is that the external storage is not working, and the USB connection, and the recording. But everything else is okay so far. Also I read that the clip has occasional playback crashes.

Source: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaAMS#Port_Status

sideaway
August 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Rockbox + Gigabeat F60 = win.

clonne4crw
August 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Rockbox + Gigabeat F60 = win.

Anything + Rockbox = Epic Win

computerkid2000
August 12th, 2009, 04:11 PM
well i just got my new from best buy fuze but it is v2 so i cant install rockbox!:(
but we all have to wait untill portage to this player!:)

dragos240
August 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Well, it is being ported, but all it can do right now is turn on.

miggols99
August 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I see that people have got themes different from the yellow and black default. Where do you get these? I don't know which ones are compatible from the ones on the Rockbox website...

dragos240
August 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
You can make them. :)

Chronon
August 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Go to http://themes.rockbox.org and download them. I believe someone on the forums mentioned that the fuze has the same screen size and orientation as the 4g Color iPod (also same as the iriver H3xx but both links take you to the same set of themes).

There's also a page in the Rockbox wiki containing the tag syntax if you would like to create your own. Its name is CustomWPS.

If you choose to create your own theme please consider licensing it under a CC-BY-SA license and sharing with the community by uploading it at the themes.rockbox.org site.

KevinEvans
August 14th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Is there an updated version yet? I cba to go through all the posts -.-

dragos240
August 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Is there an updated version yet? I cba to go through all the posts -.-

Come again? I can post the newest version within an hour.....

KevinEvans
August 14th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Is there an updated version, other than the one on the first post?

Edit: If you can post the last updated version, that'd be great! :D

dragos240
August 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Okay, I will do that. But first I am setting up my compiler, as I am on my fedora computer. It's still making the compiler. Rockbox is funny like that, it needs a special compiler for mp3 players. So I need to let it finish making, then I need to set the PATH. after that of course, I will make the latest rockbox from the latest svn build (today).

dragos240
August 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Okay, I have successfully made the latest rockbox for the sansa fuze! This is the absolute newest version as of now. It was updated 5 hours ago.
Here is the link. (http://uppit.com/v/H221G89W) Make sure you can open .zip files.

Chronon
August 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Okay, I will do that. But first I am setting up my compiler, as I am on my fedora computer. It's still making the compiler. Rockbox is funny like that, it needs a special compiler for mp3 players. So I need to let it finish making, then I need to set the PATH. after that of course, I will make the latest rockbox from the latest svn build (today).
A compiler builds the source code into machine language. Different architectures speak different machine language so you need a different compiler for each architecture. To build Rockbox requires cross-compilers to convert the ELF binaries used in Linux into the ARM, SH, etc. language spoken by a particular portable player.

Just to remind folks, there are builds available at the Rockbox forums for both Fuze and v2 e2x0.