PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Macintosh

Darthmat
June 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hello, Ubuntu forums. I very much want to use Ubuntu as my main OS. However, I have had my Macintosh for a year, and as such, have very many files. I was wondering, what would be the best (and free) way to run Ubuntu on my computer, but easily transfer my files from my "Macintosh" section of my hard drive? And is it possible to have something like a window of Macintosh running while the rest of the screen remains Ubuntu, so I can use some Mac-specific help?

Sorry for being a novice, and any and all help will be immensly appreciated.

yeats
June 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hello, Ubuntu forums. I very much want to use Ubuntu as my main OS. However, I have had my Macintosh for a year, and as such, have very many files. I was wondering, what would be the best (and free) way to run Ubuntu on my computer, but easily transfer my files from my "Macintosh" section of my hard drive?

Hi there - welcome. I'm assuming you're wanting to install Ubuntu on your Mac machine, right? Are you looking to dual boot (have both Mac OS and Ubuntu)? If so, sharing files between the two would be fairly simple (as far as I know - I'm more familiar with Windows here, but I'm assuming Mac would be recognized as easily, being Unix-based).

And is it possible to have something like a window of Macintosh running while the rest of the screen remains Ubuntu, so I can use some Mac-specific help?

You could run Mac OS in VirtualBox, but it would be a separate installation than what you would have installed on your hard drive. (There are ways to hack this so you can run your Mac installation via VirtualBox, but I've not tried them).

Does that help?

Darthmat
June 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Yes. Thank you!

Anyone know if there is an easy way to transfer an iTunes library?

ED: Nevermind. If I can transfer files easily, I can transfer that, too.

Darthmat
June 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
So what are the steps to installing Ubuntu? I know I have to back up my hard drive and burn something to a CD, but not much besides that.