PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] installing...

Mueez
June 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
hey guys im installing xubuntu using "wubi" on my pc... it downloaded the iso file but now its stuck on "creating virtual disk"

what should i do??

N1c0_ds
June 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
hey guys im installing xubuntu using "wubi" on my pc... it downloaded the iso file but now its stuck on "creating virtual disk"

what should i do??

Honestly, the best way would be to use a Live CD. I found the same bug on Google but no solutions.

presence1960
June 9th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Honestly, the best way would be to use a Live CD. I found the same bug on Google but no solutions.

+1

I just installed using wubi from Live CD and worked with no problem. I had to see what wubi is like since I never used it nor installed it. Am going to try it out to better my knowledge. So far I cant notice any difference, the only thing that is a concern is that windows fragmentation may affect performance. Other than that concern I can see no difference from my install to a partition. When the experiment is done I will uninstall wubi.

Andreas dB
June 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
My installation stucks also at 'creating the virtual disk', as wel with using Wubi as installing whith the live cd. I'm using Windows Xp sp3 with AMD Athlon 3000+ on an Acer machine.

Bucky Ball
June 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
the only thing that is a concern is that windows fragmentation may affect performance.

Not really possible as Windows has no idea what an EXT3 partition is, therefore can't see it without some coaxing, and you will find you couldn't de-frag it if you wanted to (from Windows). There is generally little need to de-frag in Linux; different way of keeping track of files.

I would advise anyone to boot from the LIVE CD, and if you can't boot from that, your hardware is probably incompatible and will need to tweak some software or replace.

presence1960
June 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Not really possible as Windows has no idea what an EXT3 partition is, therefore can't see it without some coaxing, and you will find you couldn't de-frag it if you wanted to (from Windows). There is generally little need to de-frag in Linux; different way of keeping track of files.

not true according to the community documentation. Scroll down to the sentence after #11. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Not referring to defragging ext3, but to performance due to windows fragmentation. The wubi is on the windows file system after all.

Bucky Ball
June 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Got you, sorry. Yea, I imagine that could be a problem for Wubi install, sure. :)