PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrades and versions.

pandox
June 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hey. Im new to ubuntu so i dont know much about the whole thing.
I was wondering what i should do with all the new versions that come out all the time. Do i just keep upgrading or just stick to one that i like?

and what version should i go with since im a beginner? kubuntu xubuntu etc?...

durand
June 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
K/X/Ubuntu are all pretty good, it just comes down to personal preference.

Keep up to date if you can but only upgrade if you want new features.

xebian
June 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hey. Im new to ubuntu so i dont know much about the whole thing.
I was wondering what i should do with all the new versions that come out all the time. Do i just keep upgrading or just stick to one that i like?

and what version should i go with since im a beginner? kubuntu xubuntu etc?...

Well, aside from the version there are 'flavors' too.

If you like gnome then go with Ubuntu.
If you like KDE then go with Kubuntu
If you like XFCE then go with Xubuntu.

From your signature, you are using 7.10 (released 2007-10th Month). AFAIK, this version beng 2+ years old is no longer supported meaning no more updates. But you can still use it.

The latest stable release is 9.04 ( released 2009-4th Month). It is recommended but not mandatory to upgrade to the next release once it's out. Usually, the newer release is better, but if you like what you have by all means stick with it. I would say not to be 2 versions out.

Idefix82
June 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Xubuntu is primarily aimed at computers with low specs. If your machine is reasonably new, then Ubuntu or Kubuntu will probably be a better choice.

The main difference between the latter two is the desktop environment. Kubuntu uses the KDE and Ubuntu uses Gnome by default. Which you like more is a matter of preference. You can always add the KDE later on even if you install Ubuntu now, and vice versa.

As far as updates and upgrades are concerned, the main thing is that you always install the security updates. Whether you want to install the newest version of every piece of software as soon as it comes out and whether you want to keep upgrading the version of Ubuntu every half a year, is up to you. If you are a beginner and don't want to spend too much time tampering with the operating system then I would recommend you don't update every half a year. For example, you can update only for the long term support versions, which would be every year and a half.

pandox
June 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
awesome! thank you all..:D

Hund
June 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
If you dont like upgrading all the time you could choose the 8.04 LTS (Long Term Support) version. The LTS versions are released every 2 years and are supported for 3 years (5 years for the server version).