PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob here can't install Emacs when using Sudo a-g install...

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I can get into VI no problem but trying to sudo apt-get install emacs22 I get a couldn't find package???

I did the Wubi install on my Vista Home. I see the etc/emacs folder, but im stumped. any help appreciated.

I just prefer the emacs to vi.

unutbu
June 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type

dpkg --get-selections | grep emacs

This will show all the emacs-related packages that you currently have installed.

Then run

sudo apt-get install emacs22
and show us the error message.

Please also indicate what version of Ubuntu you are using (e.g. Jaunty?)

Once we know what you have installed, we'll know better what's needed to get emacs working for you.

Could I also make a suggestion? You might want to install emacs-snapshot instead of emacs.
emacs-snapshot (which is also in the official repos) allows you to use ttf fonts instead of the chunkier fonts available under emacs.

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
angel@ubuntu:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep emacs
angel@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install emacs22
[sudo] password for angel:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package emacs22
angel@ubuntu:~$

Using Jaunty thank you

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Same thing happens with snapshot

Would love to try emacs-snapshots...

unutbu
June 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Click System>Admin>Software Sources. Under the first tab, entitled "Ubuntu Software",
make sure you have the "Community-maintained Open Source software (universe)" checkbox enabled. While you are there, you might as well also enable any other repos you are interested in.

Close the window. Your package database should automatically be updated, but just to make sure, in the terminal, type

sudo apt-get update

This will definitely refresh the package database on your machine.

Then try

sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
That did it thank you for your help and your suggestions. :p

Got vim running as well sweet.

unutbu
June 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Terrific. Now to setup a default ttf font, all you need to do is put something like

(set-default-font "Monospace-12")
in your ~/.emacs file.

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM
are you saying to create the file into the etc/emacs-snapshot folder or add it to the 00debian-vars.elc? I is a lil confoosed on that.

unutbu
June 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
"~/.emacs" means the .emacs file in your home user directory. The tilde is a shorthand notation (understood by the shell) for your home user directory.

If you don't have this file, create it. (You can create it using emacs :))

Note that if you use Ubuntu's default file browser (Nautilus), you may have to press
Ctrl-h to see so-called "dot files" (i.e. files or directories that start with a period).
Dot files are hidden by default.

When you run emacs-snapshot it will look for and read your ~/.emacs file. You can put all your customizations in there.

Noobuntu5
June 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
got it! very cool thank you for your help.

unutbu
June 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
No problem! Enjoy emacs and Ubuntu. :)