PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to Hardy? or newer...

guitodd
June 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM
My Dell E1505n was running Gutsy so I decided to try the upgrade. I noticed in my Update Manager that it showed the upgrade version as Hardy. Aren't their two newer releases? or is Hardy still considered the 'stable' version. I assumed that after the Hardy install that the update manager might show Intrepid as another upgrade but it didn't and I can't find any obvious info on this.

Upgrade went OK. Broke my Intel pro wireless. I REALLY REALLY hoped all the laptop wifi woes would be worked out by now.. but I understand it a pain. I did get it working over the weekend with the new ILW driver and a bunch of forum reading. I'm not sure which thing I tried made it work.. but it works and stays connected so I am happy.

overdrank
June 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
My Dell E1505n was running Gutsy so I decided to try the upgrade. I noticed in my Update Manager that it showed the upgrade version as Hardy. Aren't their two newer releases? or is Hardy still considered the 'stable' version. I assumed that after the Hardy install that the update manager might show Intrepid as another upgrade but it didn't and I can't find any obvious info on this.

Upgrade went OK. Broke my Intel pro wireless. I REALLY REALLY hoped all the laptop wifi woes would be worked out by now.. but I understand it a pain. I did get it working over the weekend with the new ILW driver and a bunch of forum reading. I'm not sure which thing I tried made it work.. but it works and stays connected so I am happy.

Hi and yes, two newer versions of Ubuntu. But if Hardy 8.04 is working you may choose to stick with it as it is Long Term Support (LTS)

snowpine
June 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Try a Live CD of 9.04 (the current version) to see if it fixes your wifi issues (which wifi card do you have?)

If you find 9.04 works great for you, I recommend a fresh, clean install (after backing up your personal files, of course).

Of course, if you are happy with 8.04, there is no pressing need for a newer version. 8.04 is the 'long term support' release and will be supported through April 2011.

guitodd
June 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds goods. I have the Intel Pro Wireless 3945. I was using the ipw3945 driver that apparently was completely removed in the upgrade as I can't find any trace. The ilw3945abg driver didn't work out of the box... but was able to get it going with some help/code found in forums. I don't appear to be having any of the issues/bugs that other have reported.

My laptop wifi light acts a bit different. It stays lit instead of flashing erratically... which is actually less annoying. The whole system seems to run a bit faster. Think I'll stay at this version until I get bored.

Thanks!!!

guitodd
June 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/2008/04/24/making-intel-wireless-3945abg-work-better-on-ubuntu-hardy/

This is the link I followed to solve the wifi issue.