PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] format disk in fat32

kostaben
June 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a dual boot disk, one partition with Ubuntu and another one with Fedora. IŽm gonna sell this computer so i want to install windows. In order for windows installation disk to work the disk has to be in Fat32 format. How can i format the whole disk in fat32 from Ubuntu.
The disk is the only one the computer has.

Thank you in advanced.

ianmillington
June 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I think during the install Windows will just assume the disk not to have been formatted and will format the whole thing into either a FAT 32 or ntfs partition.

kostaben
June 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
ouf, thats my problem, that windows cannot go on with the installation cause the disk is ext3.

_Purple_
June 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Have you tried using Ubuntu Live CD and using gparted to format the harddisk in FAT32?

boof1988
June 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
ouf, thats my problem, that windows cannot go on with the installation cause the disk is ext3.

Once you have booted the Windows Install CD...

Are there any options (such as f-keys)? Is there a delete partition (or all partitions) option?

kostaben
June 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
No i havenŽt. Is Gparted able to format in fat32 or ntfs? IŽll try anyways. Thank you for your help.

kostaben
June 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
No boof1988 has no options at all. In the begining says "the installation programm is checking your hardware configuration" (more ore less cause the message is in spanish) and freezes there.

_Purple_
June 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
No i havenŽt. Is Gparted able to format in fat32 or ntfs? IŽll try anyways. Thank you for your help.

Yes, you can format as fat32 or ntfs using gparted.

boof1988
June 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Yes, you can format as fat32 or ntfs using gparted.

Another option might be...

Delete the partition (using gparted LiveCD or other) and then let the Windows Installer format a new partition when it installs the Windows operating system.

kostaben
June 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Gparted refused to format the disk in Fat32 or Ntfs but i delete all partitions and finally windows got installed.

Thank you guys for helping.