PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OEM -style install

ianmillington
June 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi

We have an old computer (currently Win XP) that we propose to wipe and give away. Because it was originally a win 98 machine upgraded to XP I'm proposing to stick 'buntu on it (if they want windows they can buy it - the computer ism after all, free).

I would like to set it up ideally so that when they run it for the first time they can put in their details - I don't want to have an "ian" home directory etc.

Is that possible? I recall some time back seeing an OEM install option on a CD some time back but is that option still available, or is what I am trying to do possible? Also, willit be possible during the installation to configure things (like updating it) so that the first time they switch it on it just "works"?

Thanks

Ian

wpshooter
June 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
As far as I know the OEM versions are still available BUT let me warn you that if you think that you are going to "GIVE AWAY" computers that do not have a M/S W$ operating system installed on them, then you are very likely going to be disappointed.

Because when you tell most people that it does not have "that O/S" on it, they will not take it even if it is "FREE".

Believe me, I have a whole bunch of them with just Ubuntu installed on them and I can not even give them away.

Stupid people don't know what they are missing out on, but I am not going to beat my head against a wall trying to convince them.

But good luck.

ianmillington
June 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Then they can either buy their own and then find out how expensive and "easy" Windows really is :-)

Or, I'll skip it, which would be a bit of a shame as it's not a bad machine.