PDA

View Full Version : SkyOS in the toloit. Might open the source.

swoll1980
June 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
The speed at which new hardware and technology gets developed has increased dramatically in the last few years. Trying to catch up with development of frameworks, drivers, applications, test, etc. got way more complicated than years ago. At that time, you developed a standard IDE driver and SkyOS would boot on 99% of all computers. There was only one way interrupts got routed, devices could be accessed, etc. More important, there was just a single CPU, no hyperthreading, mulitcores, multi cpus, etc. (at least not for computers the usual home user owned). A GUI was easy, in contrast to today, where you must have a 3D accelerated GUI. If you don’t have one your OS is said to be old, out of date. You must have WIFI, USB, Bluetooth, etc.

Catching up with the development for all this is just not possible anymore, at least, not for one person or at least, not for me.
Currently, SkyOS development is on halt, and I’m trying to find a way to get out of this unpromising situation. At this moment I only see four resorts:

- Open source SkyOS
- Make SkyOS available for free
- Specialize on a yet to define niche
- Stop SkyOS development

Eventually, I have to admit that I underestimated the speed at which new technolgy develops and establishes. And, a while ago I was able to spend more than 6 hours a day developing for SkyOS, for years. Recently, as my first baby was born this of course changed which made the entire developing situation even worth. Again I underestimated a few, personal, real life factors and their impact on developing.
I’m sorry if I dissapointed you, but I guess you favor me being honest about the current situation.

Anyway, I will do my best to find the best possible solution for SkyOS and its future.

News update (6th, apr 2009):
For the last weeks and as it looks like quite a few more weeks I'm in contact with a lot of people talking about their
ideas to continue SkyOS development. Unfortunately many people completely underestimate the amount of work required to manage a development team for SkyOS, either an open or closed source version, or completely lack vision and or motivation and or seriousness. Anyway, I'm still reading through my inbox hoping to get in contact with people with real motives and knowledge being able to bring SkyOS to the next level.

Might have something new to play with here pretty soon. What do you think? Oops, that was supposed to be "SkyOS in the toilet"

madjr
June 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
not a surprised, am sure it's going to be open source.

but i couldn't care less since the author never been very foss friendly..., n way too much going on the linux world to worry about this one.

anyway good luck

baseface
June 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
i really dont see it becoming open source.

swoll1980
June 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
i really dont see it becoming open source.

I can't see any other options for it really. I guess he could take it to his grave with him, but what good is that going to do?

CharmyBee
June 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I don't know.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1140946