PDA

View Full Version : Old DOS games

seshomaru samma
January 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Is there a way to run really old DOS games on ubuntu?

gord
January 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM
using a program called dosbox you can emulate a dos system, if you have a reasonable system you can run VGA games fine but you'll need a newer one to run SVGA games, some won't run at all. all in all thought it works very well and you can even improve the graphics with graphical fetures :)

BoyOfDestiny
January 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Is there a way to run really old DOS games on ubuntu?

Yep dosbox is the way to go. I've tested many of my games (age of them being 1981-1995) with a near 100% success rate.

Go for it!

kwaanens
January 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
How do I write "/" and other characters?

- Ketil

dcer
January 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem. It's because dosbox assumes an us keyboard. Don't know how to change that. Try the keys near the enter botton (I have there and Č) not sure if you need to use shift with them.

kwaanens
January 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Found that ctrl+f1 gave me the opportunity to set characters.
Seems a hard way to get it working though...

- Ketil

Artificial Intelligence
January 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
You can also:

dosbox /where/the/game/is/XXXXXXX.exe

Moving the thread to ubuntu game forum

seshomaru samma
January 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM
using a program called dosbox you can emulate a dos system, if you have a reasonable system you can run VGA games fine but you'll need a newer one to run SVGA games, some won't run at all. all in all thought it works very well and you can even improve the graphics with graphical fetures :)

sorry for the silly question but in the website's download section theres no ubuntu version, should i download the debian version? can i apt-get it?

Artificial Intelligence
January 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
You can apt-get it.

sudo apt-get install dosbox

mayo
February 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
To get around all those keyboard problems and other dosbox setup hassles,
I created a Tcl frontend called DOSBoxGui for dosbox.

You can get it here (http://www.waszumclique.de/dosboxgui/).

It allows you to create profiles for your games, in which you can store game specific settings like the cpu cycles, etc.

kwaanens
February 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
$ ./dosboxgui.tcl
Error in startup script: couldn't read file "./proc_browsers.tcl": no such file or directory
while executing
"source [file join $libPath proc_browsers.tcl]"
(file "./dosboxgui.tcl" line 267)

- Ketil

kudu
February 9th, 2006, 03:34 AM
If you copy all the dosboxGui files to the .dosbox/dosboxgui folder created when you executed dosboxGui.tcl and run ./dosboxGui.tcl again from that directory it will work properly. Did for me anyway.

kudu...out

kudu
February 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I need help!! How do you get this blasted dosbox thingamajigger running ?

I'm trying to run Steel Panthers WW2 v7.1 but when I try to execute it I get "Steel Panthers WW2 needs a CDROM" or something to that effect. But SPWW2 doesn't run with a CD. It's a downloadable free game, no CD about it. So why the heck does it want a CDROM and how do I convince it it doesn't need one ??

Driving me crazy. I've been messing about with the Dosbox wiki pages trying to figure out how to fix it but nothing seems to work.

frustrated kudu...out

Got it fixed...it was an .ini file edit job. Runs, albeit SLOWLY. Have to speed it up now. But it RUNS!!

kudu...out

kwaanens
February 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
If you copy all the dosboxGui files to the .dosbox/dosboxgui folder created when you executed dosboxGui.tcl and run ./dosboxGui.tcl again from that directory it will work properly. Did for me anyway.

Of course! Thanks!

- Ketil

kudu
February 9th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Dosbox is pretty cool!

kudu...out