PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Xfce menu and panel tweaks

michaelc.nash
June 8th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone.

Firstly, sorry if this is inane/posted before/wrong forum/etc.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while (8.10 at the moment) but occasionally find Ubuntu a bit slow due to not having such a high spec laptop and running BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/) a lot of the time. I heard that Xfce was less resource hungry, so I installed the xubuntu-desktop package with Synaptic - very easy!

Well, so far there's a lot to like. Quite easy to use, quite easy on the eye. On the bar at the top of windows, the circle that makes the window appear in every desktop is nice, but the arrow that hides all but the top bar of a window is insanely useful for me.

The bit that has, embarrasingly, got me a little flummoxed is customising the desktop bar at the top of the screen. For example, by default at the top left I see "Applications Places *Firefox icon* *help icon*".

In Gnome, I have Firefox, Thunderbird and Terminal icons there as I use them most often. Is there a way to do identically that in Xfce?

To clarify, I don't mean creating a Launcher icon with a little submenu in which I can place the Terminal icon/launcher (as very helpfully described here Ubuntu Forums thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=309647)). I just want to see "Applications Places *Firefox icon* *Thunderbird icon* *Terminal icon* *Help icon*".

The other thing that has me confused is right clicking in the Applications menu. If I right or middle click on a menu item, it acts the same as a left click. Is this normal, and even if it is normal can it be changed? It's driving me nuts.

I must say that other than that I am amazed at how easy it has all been. Firefox, Thunderbird and presumably other settings have stayed the same, etc. For an aspiring geek (i.e. perennial newb) like me it's great.

kerry_s
June 8th, 2009, 03:00 AM
The bit that has, embarrasingly, got me a little flummoxed is customising the desktop bar at the top of the screen. For example, by default at the top left I see "Applications Places *Firefox icon* *help icon*".

yes, right click the panel add the launcher, open application finder, drag and drop the program you want in the launcher window. you'll need 1 launcher for each program. see pic

The other thing that has me confused is right clicking in the Applications menu. If I right or middle click on a menu item, it acts the same as a left click. Is this normal, and even if it is normal can it be changed? It's driving me nuts.

there are no click options other than launching.