PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Display - extended monitor to the left issue

hou5ton
June 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Using Jaunty on a laptop with a dual monitor to my left. When I go to System/Display and configure the screens as they should be, with the dual monitor to the left of the MAIN laptop screen, all of the toolbars and icons go over to the dual monitor on which I have my desktop extended. If I move the dual monitor to the right of my main screen and configure the display like that, then the toolbars and icons stay on the main laptop screen. In other words, I guess no matter how I set the Displays, the toolbars and icons go to the screen to the left. I know I could just give in and put the extended dual monitor on the right, but in both of my office/desk setups, I want the extended monitor on the left, and I want my toolbars and icons to stay put on my main laptop screen.

cudjoe
June 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

So far I could not figure out how to have the main screen on the right.

I want my extended screen on the left.

petersfreeman
September 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I also have the same problem. There is no setting in Preferences/Display that allows me to make the right hand monitor (my laptop) be the main monitor with toolbars etc.

I thought that the solution would be in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but I am still trying to understand the settings in that file.

Peter

rakete
September 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
you know what I did after switching from Windows?

I became familiar with my compiz desktop cube and use one display only at a time...

An extended desktop is nothing you want under linux.

...and now: bash me if you like... :P

duanedesign
September 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I came across this GUI for xrandr that looks like it could help solve your problem.
http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/drupal/display-config-1

Please keep us updated on your progress. :)