PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install 9.04 on laptop

Pioden
June 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hi folks,

First post here so please be gentle :) I'm trying to install 9.04 on my Samsung R60e but never get very far! I'm installing from a USB drive onto a disk which already has XP and Fedora10 installed. My intention in to wipe the disk and just have Ubuntu.

When I try to install Ubuntu installation fails BEFORE I get to ANY option screens and drops to a 'Busybox' prompt. The error message before Busybox is along the lines of 'Waiting for root, time out, /dev failed'. However it's not consistent. Sometimes I get the animated Ubuntu loading screen sometimes not. The error message also seems to be inconsistent - it varies!

I've checked checksums etc. and everything seems to be OK with the .iso. Any ideas what's wrong? Fedora is working great so hardware incompatibility is unlikely.

TIA

Huw

Pioden
June 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Shameless bump in the hope that somebody can help!

daisy87
June 8th, 2009, 10:34 AM
hi,
i gt the same prob
my pc crash then I reinstall XP on partition C and create a partition D.
then I insert the ubuntu cd 2 install it -follow the steps and then ull be ask "use the entire disk space" , "bigger continuous free space", "manually" -select entire disk space. since u already hve the partition then it ll delete the other OS frm HDD.

the prob swap i gt it coz I ddnt hd a partition since the OS crash. (that y i shud reinstall XP to then delete it)

Im not an expert but tryin 2 help -if others can help...
If u r not understdin email here):P
hpe ull be okie