PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch problems

Grez
June 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
My daughter wanted an iPod Touch for her last birthday, and when we bought it I just didn't realise the problems I would have with it.

Firstly, I never thought to check out Linux Compatibility. Unless you jailbreak the thing (and thus void the guarantee) Ubuntu only recognises the thing as a camera and not a multimedia player of any kind.

I currently dual boot this With Ubuntu Hardy and Windows Vista. So after ages of trying and failing to get the iPod to work with Ubuntu, I decided to download iTunes on Vista and get it working that way.

Unfortunately, every time my daughter has tried to Sync her iPod Touch using iTunes under Vista, the process has come to a grinding halt as the program and OS have regularly hung during the syncing process. We have tried all the workarounds but it just seems that the combination of this computer, Vista and iTunes with my daughter's iPod touch seems to reach some sort of critical mass.

In frustration, I finally downloaded Sun Virtualbox (with USB support) and installed Windows XP with it. Instructions here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-virtualbox-16-in-ubuntu-804hardy-heron-including-usb-support.html

I then downloaded a bit of anti-virus software, and then iTunes. Upon installation, iTunes recognised the iPod directly and we were able in no time to reverse-sync the iPod with the iTunes program. No hangs, freezes or problems like that were encountered and everything seems to be going OK at the moment.

So, if you've got an iPod Touch, this could be the thing for you.

xavierp94
June 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
My daughter wanted an iPod Touch for her last birthday, and when we bought it I just didn't realise the problems I would have with it.

Firstly, I never thought to check out Linux Compatibility. Unless you jailbreak the thing (and thus void the guarantee) Ubuntu only recognises the thing as a camera and not a multimedia player of any kind.

I currently dual boot this With Ubuntu Hardy and Windows Vista. So after ages of trying and failing to get the iPod to work with Ubuntu, I decided to download iTunes on Vista and get it working that way.

Unfortunately, every time my daughter has tried to Sync her iPod Touch using iTunes under Vista, the process has come to a grinding halt as the program and OS have regularly hung during the syncing process. We have tried all the workarounds but it just seems that the combination of this computer, Vista and iTunes with my daughter's iPod touch seems to reach some sort of critical mass.

In frustration, I finally downloaded Sun Virtualbox (with USB support) and installed Windows XP with it. Instructions here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-virtualbox-16-in-ubuntu-804hardy-heron-including-usb-support.html

I then downloaded a bit of anti-virus software, and then iTunes. Upon installation, iTunes recognised the iPod directly and we were able in no time to reverse-sync the iPod with the iTunes program. No hangs, freezes or problems like that were encountered and everything seems to be going OK at the moment.

So, if you've got an iPod Touch, this could be the thing for you.
That happens to me too. Only problem for me is when I try to restore my iPod Touch it gives me a 1604 saying I can not restore my iPod on Windows Vista in Virtualbox.

switch10
June 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Yea I have a jailbroken IPhone and I had so much trouble getting it to work. I do the same thing you do with virtualbox and xp, and it does work well.

A native Linux solution would be awesome.

TheLastDodo
June 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Apple's computer offerings are generally quite nice, but having owned an iPod Touch, I feel I can safely say that their mobile/media products are a huge pain in the ***. I sold the iPod and am looking for something that'll work as a mass storage device instead.

toupeiro
June 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Try the Cowon S9. It won't disappoint.

Ocxic
June 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
JailBreaking the iPod DOES NOT void the warranty in any way.
to reverse the jailbreak simply restore the ipod using itunes, all evidence of the jailbreak will be erased.

Grez
June 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
JailBreaking the iPod DOES NOT void the warranty in any way.
to reverse the jailbreak simply restore the ipod using itunes, all evidence of the jailbreak will be erased.

Didn't know that.

Still, this seems to work and I now have use of a fantastic DTP package again (Serif PagePlus) which doesn't work with Wine. So I'm still a happy bunny here!

Thanks for the information though.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
actually it WOULD void the warranty if you sent/brought it in for any type of repair and you had NOT restored it before doing so.

sefs
June 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I will never again get another Apple media player/Ipod as long as I live unless a person can actually use it without these sorts of hassles.