PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu mobile media player?

xavierp94
June 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
A media player with a touch screen using Ubuntu as iPod Touch uses iPhone os? That would be a great device! It would be compatible with mutiple operating systems with a store where people can download applications and build ones over others? Would't that be a nice idea? I saw some screenshots on the web of a mobile version of ubuntu but I wasn't pretty sure.
http://www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/5764/ume_flash.png

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yes your screenshot is Ubuntu MID edition. So far there hasn't been any devices with that factory-installed, but you can install that on a Nokia Internet Tablet yourself. Although MIDs are fine media players, Ubuntu's never going to get on any dedicated PMPs since it's too advanced of an OS.

elliotn
June 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I was thinking that if canonical can build a portable media player like iPod then sell it, after its success then brings up ubuntuPhone which would run ubuntu MID. That is indeed a gud business idea for canonical to get bucks

Vostrocity
June 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I was thinking that if canonical can build a portable media player like iPod then sell it, after its success then brings up ubuntuPhone which would run ubuntu MID. That is indeed a gud business idea for canonical to get bucks

I only wish that was possible. It's really hard for a software company to suddenly jump into the hardware business