PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Skype

shumaj08
June 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hi friends I still don't know how to installskype!! Can someone help me?

lindsay7
June 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
here,

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

merlinus
June 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
You can download the .deb file from skype's website, and install it with GDebi package installer. Right-click on the .deb and it is one of the options.

shumaj08
June 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You can download the .deb file from skype's website, and install it with GDebi package installer. Right-click on the .deb and it is one of the options.

thanks a lot man that worked good..

ShowMeGrrl
June 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
here,

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Yes, I saw this Skype page before I made my post, but it seems to involve downloading the file from the Skype Web site and installing it myself. Scares me. The Skype Web page lists video card driver requirements and software requirements that I have no idea whether my Starling meets.

As a person who is relatively new to Linux, I would rather do my software installations via repositories available via Synaptic. I have seen other messages on these forums indicating that people have had trouble getting Skype to work with their Web cam and/or microphone, which is another reason I would rather not be installing Skype on my own.

Is there some reason Skype is not in the Synaptic list of apps?

merlinus
June 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM
It is not open source. But the absolute worst that will happen is that you can easily uninstall it.

Live dangerously.... life is all too short. And by now you must know that linux is not for the faint-hearted!

Fully216
June 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Installing software packaged in the deb format means the all the package handling programs available in ubuntu will recognize the installation.

Partyboi2
June 8th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Yes, I saw this Skype page before I made my post, but it seems to involve downloading the file from the Skype Web site and installing it myself. Scares me. The Skype Web page lists video card driver requirements and software requirements that I have no idea whether my Starling meets.

As a person who is relatively new to Linux, I would rather do my software installations via repositories available via Synaptic. I have seen other messages on these forums indicating that people have had trouble getting Skype to work with their Web cam and/or microphone, which is another reason I would rather not be installing Skype on my own.

Is there some reason Skype is not in the Synaptic list of apps?
If you prefer to install skype from a repository you can add mediubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) repo and install skype using synaptic.

daisy87
June 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I want to install Skype on Ubuntu 9.04 can I use the website given above http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

Coz I am seein download for ubuntu 7.04-8.04 but not 4 Jaunty J...
can I download for 8.04 on my 9.04 or it will corrupt my pc????

joyneo04
June 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
no way it is going to corrupt ur os....just download it and install it...theeres nothing to worry as i myself am using the same skype....

daisy87
June 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
so i can download skype for ubuntu 7.04-8.04?
thxz - I'm new -thxz again

joyneo04
June 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
its completely our pleasure...thats y we r here for to help each other.....

anroy
July 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM

Thanks, this worked for me too. It actually ended with an error (the message looked internal, mentioned a function call) but Skype was installed into the menu and I'm using it now. Whatever works, I guess.

In fact this thread addressed a number of concerns I had:

The fact that Skype wasn't in Synaptic
I didn't know how to install a .deb file
The download page on the Skype site said versions 7.04-8.04 whereas I use 9.04

I used to be on 6.06 and was away from Ubuntu for a couple of years and re-installed it today.

Thanks to all.