PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Association helper application

knuckle dragging monkey
June 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hello, I tried to to drag and drop a wallpaper into the appearances preferences box and a box came up with this in there. "/tmp/victory.zip could not be opend,because the association helper application does not exist.change the association in your preferences." so how and ware do i do this. Thank you.

jimmy the saint
June 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
It is easiest just to right-click and save the item to a folder and then use it that way. The problem with adding the helper application to firefox is that every zip file you encounter will automatically be handled by that application, and you may not want every zip file to be automatically handled in any way. Once it is saved to a folder, you can do whatever you want with it without the need for firefox to be able to do it.

If you really want to set it up though, you would go into edit>preferences>appications and set up zip archives to use the file-roller application. I would still advise against it though.

Eidt: jbruced (below) is 100% correct, but he is dealing with after you get it out of firefox onto your drive. If you want to automatically open the zip file to see the contents inside, the dialog that pops up when you click the link will allow you to do so.

jbruced
June 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Appearance is for themes, not for dragging in wallpaper, however, if it is a theme and is double zipped, extract it once to any location, them drag the new file onto the appearance window.

You can extract by clicking on the file in nautilus.

To change wallpaper, right click the desktop and follow the menu.

Let us know the name of the file if that doesn't help.

GL
Bruce

knuckle dragging monkey
June 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Yes i agree i would not want all the zips to be handled in that was . and Jbruce that worked just fine. So to both of you Thank you very much. and Jimmy may his noodely appendage bless you .Long live the flying spaghetti monster.lol here is a quote "heaven is the biggest lost and found department ever,the only problem is the coat check person is noware to be found" that is a one i made up hope you enjoy it. and agine thank you for your help. I will sacrifice beer in yoyr names tonight. lol