PDA

View Full Version : Stubbornness!

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to get my friend to switch from Windows for... well, about three years now. She's very stubborn. Her argument is that she's used to windows, it "works for [her]" and therefore doesn't want to change.

However, I offered her a -free- linux computer/netbook (£100-£200, so nothing too flashy) and she refused even that!

She seems to get pretty annoyed when we talk about windows/linux, which is also a thorn in my side. I don't know why she gets annoyed, I'm not particularly forceful about my viewpoint, and she's not a Microsoft fangirl anyway (in fact there are aspects of Windows she doesn't like, aspects I know don't exist in Ubuntu; the justification for my original suggestion that she try Ubuntu). It doesn't make any sense for her to get annoyed, she just does.

So, anyway, on to my question.

How do you deal with people who are this stubborn? I think of myself as Neo to Microsoft's Matrix; so does that mean I should avoid freeing people who could potentially turn into the Cypher of this analogy - who end up trying to kill me?

Thoughts, please.

Therion
June 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM

How do you deal with people who are this stubborn?
I don't.

Linux isn't for everybody and your trying to ram it down this girl's throat is, most likely, doing more harm than good. From what I can tell from your post, she's made her point: She's not interested. Windows works for her.

Dude... Respect that.

glotz
June 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you're being very stubborn to me. :-?

I've been tryingThere is no try! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars_portal#Quotes)

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I don't.

Linux isn't for everybody and your trying to ram it down this girl's throat is, most likely, doing more harm than good. From what I can tell from your post, she's made her point: She's not interested. Windows works for her.

Dude... Respect that.

I'm not "ramming" anything down anybody's throat. I'm trying to get somebody to try something new.

Why is this any different to, say, persuading her to go rock climbing with me? Or anything else she might be apprehensive about...

I know Linux isn't for everyone, and if she'd tried it and didn't like it I would drop the matter. The frustration comes from not knowing whether or not she would like it if she did try it. By getting her to try linux, I don't remove the possibility of reverting to Windows so I fail to see your point.

Wiebelhaus
June 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to get my friend to switch from Windows for... well, about three years now. She's very stubborn. Her argument is that she's used to windows, it "works for [her]" and therefore doesn't want to change.

However, I offered her a -free- linux computer/netbook (£100-£200, so nothing too flashy) and she refused even that!

She seems to get pretty annoyed when we talk about windows/linux, which is also a thorn in my side. I don't know why she gets annoyed, I'm not particularly forceful about my viewpoint, and she's not a Microsoft fangirl anyway (in fact there are aspects of Windows she doesn't like, aspects I know don't exist in Ubuntu; the justification for my original suggestion that she try Ubuntu). It doesn't make any sense for her to get annoyed, she just does.

How do you deal with people who are this stubborn? I think of myself as Neo to Microsoft's Matrix; so does that mean I should avoid freeing people who could potentially turn into the Cypher of this analogy - who end up trying to kill me?

Thoughts, please.

Drop it likes it's hot and move on.

H2SO_four
June 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sounds like you're being very stubborn to me. :-?

+1 She probably gets upset because you don't let up.
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Therion
June 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not "ramming" anything down anybody's throat. I'm trying to get somebody to try something new.

Why is this any different to, say, persuading her to go rock climbing with me? Or anything else she might be apprehensive about...

I know Linux isn't for everyone, and if she'd tried it and didn't like it I would drop the matter. The frustration comes from not knowing whether or not she would like it if she did try it. By getting her to try linux, I don't remove the possibility of reverting to Windows so I fail to see your point.
My point is this: Your post you indicates she has made it clear to you she's not interested.

I don't mean to be harsh, but dude, which syllable of "no" aren't you understanding?

Drop it likes it's hot and move on.
Beautifully put. +1

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
+1 She probably gets upset because you don't let up.
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Of the three years I've known her, I've probably mentioned linux about 15 times and never spent more than 15 minutes talking about it.

I don't get why everyone's being so hostile to the notion of trying to persuade someone to -try- linux. The only outcome I want is for one more person to be -aware- of Linux. Where's the harm?

And why do you all assume I'm being stubborn/pushy about it? I've explicitly told her on several occasions that if I'm ever too pushy about -anything- then she should tell me, and she's never told me I am so I have no reason to believe it is so. Like I say, I've only ever mentioned it briefly to her and I give up as soon as she confirms she is still uninterested.

It's not a "I want my friend to use linux because I like it so much"; I truly believe Linux could be of benefit to her and she is refusing to try it. I wanted advice, not judgement.

Dharmachakra
June 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
You got advice; just forget about it. She said herself that it works for her so you're never really going to be able to convince her. If she doesn't want to then she isn't going to.

glotz
June 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't get why everyone's being so hostile to the notion of trying to persuade someone to -try- linux. The only outcome I want is for one more person to be -aware- of Linux. Where's the harm?

And why do you all assume I'm being stubborn/pushy about it? I've explicitly told her on several occasions that if I'm ever too pushy about -anything- then she should tell me, and she's never told me I am so I have no reason to believe it is so.
I've only known you for 20 minutes online and you're already starting to get on my nerves! ;)

H2SO_four
June 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Of the three years I've known her, I've probably mentioned linux about 15 times and never spent more than 15 minutes talking about it.

Its not hostility, its common sense. You have been trying to get her to change OS for 3 years and she gets annoyed when you mention it. We are simply saying that in her defence, maybe she doesn't want to change. Some people are comfortable with their love/hate relationship with Windows. And thats ok. Linux (Ubuntu) is not a religion. You shouldn't be on a Crusade to convert the masses :)

Your best bet would be to explain the reasons why you or other people use Linux, and contrast that with the reasons people use windows and let her make the choice for herself.

Or don't listen to us and continue to let her become annoyed because you are relentlessly trying to get her to change something she is unwilling to do.

Best of luck mate!

H2SO_four
June 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I've only known you for 20 minutes online and you're already starting to get on my nerves! ;)

lol :)

Therion
June 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Fifteen times is about thirteen times too many, IMO.
If she's still declining you politely about this after fifteen attempts, methinks you may be dating a Saint.

I don't get why everyone's being so hostile...
We're not being hostile, we're being direct about the matter.

-grubby
June 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
She's stubborn? You sound more stubborn than her. Seriously, if she doesn't care, just shut up. Maybe she'll even ask you about it if she's ever interested.

benjgvps
June 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Some people don't feel the need to change something they are comfortable with.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

Thoughts, please.

dude, let it go. sorry to bust your bubble, but linux isn't for everyone.

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM

20 minutes? You must have a really good impression of what I'm like as a person, then! :P

I wasn't sure about posting this thread, but the reaction I got has confirmed that it was genuinely a Bad Idea.

My friend and I actually have a very strong, close relationship. We don't agree on everything, but who does? I annoy her sometimes by bringing up the subject of Windows vs Linux, but I'm actually able to pick up on the social cues that tell me she is annoyed and promptly change the subject.

I actually agree with the opinions stated, one should not force one's views upon others. However, I also believe in freedom of speech which means that when the subject of Windows vs Linux comes up, I will voice my opinion on it. I don't believe the two contradict each other as I allow my friend to state her opinion and I accept her point of view. From experience, my friend changes her mind about things from time to time and therefore I have every belief that she may change her mind about Linux. This is why I occasionally bring up the subject myself. I still don't see any harm in it.

smbm
June 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Her argument is that she's used to windows, it "works for [her]" and therefore doesn't want to change.

Her argument seems pretty watertight to me.

The Real Dave
June 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
i don't.

Linux isn't for everybody and your trying to ram it down this girl's throat is, most likely, doing more harm than good. From what i can tell from your post, she's made her point: She's not interested. Windows works for her.

Dude... Respect that.

+1 :d

Sealbhach
June 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
My advice: Leave her be. You can't help people who don't want to be helped. Respect her decision.

mr-woof
June 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'd leave her alone for now, then when windows finally falls over move in for the kill with a live cd lol :D

chucky chuckaluck
June 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
leave her alone. you're making me want to switch to windows7.

y6FgBn)~v
June 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
leave her alone. you're making me want to switch to windows7.

LOL Chucky

No means no, move on.

samjh
June 8th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hi all,

People get annoyed by religious evangelists knocking on their door, trying to free them from the troubles of the world. In the same way, people get annoyed by Linux evangelists who try to "free" them from the tyranny of Microsoft.

Please, do yourself and the Linux community a favour and stop annoying your friend. It only drives her FURTHER AWAY from Linux, not towards it. "No" means "no". :)

PS: Yes, what you are doing is different from suggesting your friend do rock-climbing. Rock-climbing is an activity that may be beneficial to the body and mind, and bring enjoyment. Using Linux typically does not result in any benefit or enjoyment. In addition, I think an object third-party observer will find your tone and boy language is more aggressive and confrontational when you suggest Linux, because of your fervour.

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Like everyone has already said, MOVE ON AND LEAVE HER ALONE. :)

TheLastDodo
June 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Like everyone has already said, MOVE ON AND LEAVE HER ALONE. :)

It's people like the OP that end up getting Linux users stereotyped as crazed zealots.

rookcifer
June 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hi all,

Thoughts, please.

Just leave her alone. Some people will never see the light, and that's OK. I have friends just like yours.

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM
It's people like the OP that end up getting Linux users stereotyped as crazed zealots.

Agreed.

H2SO_four
June 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
agreed.

+1

eolson
June 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
There's an old saying, "Don't cast your pearls before swine." Which means no sense wasting a lot of time on those who are non-receptive. Just plant the seed and let nature take it's course. Maybe it will grow, and maybe it won't. If it does, success. If it doesn't, there's nothing you could have done anyway. Meanwhile, relax and have a pint.

glotz
June 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Using Linux typically does not result in any benefit or enjoyment.
:biggrin:

toupeiro
June 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Seriously, I'm just echoing what many have said, but let this go.. At this point, what are you trying to prove? She's HAPPY with that she is using. If I were happy with windows, I wouldn't be running linux.. Nobody likes to be told what they want, especially if they already know what they want, have communicated that point, and people aren't getting the clue. Linux is a great choice for people looking for choice, but not for people who are fine with what they've already chosen.

Anastasis
June 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I don't really know what others might do in such a situation, but what you might do is write a basic video editing program in the style of a Windows Movie Maker clone and show her how easy video editing is on a Linux platform.

A basic user interface mock up that you might start with is as follows.

TASK

Import

From Digital Video Camera
Videos
Pictures
Audio or Music

Edit

Imported Media
Effects
Transitions
Titles and Credits

Publish to

This Computer
DVD
Recorable CD
EMAIL
Digital Video Camera

Then add a Timeline and/or Story board bar and YOU'RE FINISHED. That's it. That all the user interface has to be. It isn't hard. It isn't rocket science. It's just a dumb video editor that actually works, is intuitive, requires no learning curve to be overcome, and fit for the average user who wants to make YouTube mashups in about 20 minutes.

Giant Speck
June 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Three years?

I'm surprised you two are still in a relationship! Or maybe you aren't and you've also been spending three years trying to convince this girl that you're in a relationship...