PDA

View Full Version : Installation Disks

susanpenter
June 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
This is just a quick query out of interest really. I'm having a big purge of all categories at the moment and I wondered, now that I have converted my PC to wholly Ubuntu, is it worth hanging onto the Official installation disks that came with my hardware as they are all for Windows.

I'd be interested in a few opinions before I make the decision whether to keep or dispose of them.

Thanks

Susan

mamamia88
June 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
i'd keep them in case you want to install windows not that you will

Regenweald
June 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Never know if a friend may need a driver or two. I try not to throw away software, an unforseen need always arises.

Barrucadu
June 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
You may want to sell the computer at a later date, so being able to reset it to factory settings would (probably) be best.

CJ Master
June 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Keep them. What's the harm?

Rackstar
June 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I also keep them to eventually sell my laptop. And you never know, if you change jobs or smth you need to dualboot windows again. Then you would be sorry to buy a new license.

My extra XP cd came in handy when I bought a desktop with only vista on it. (Bare in mind that this was in my windows era).

Keep in mind, if you only use a Linux based OS, then buy one with ubuntu (or your favorite distro) pre-installed. Vote with your wallet!

susanpenter
June 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
if you change jobs or smth you need to dualboot windows again. Then you would be sorry to buy a new license.

I would still have to do this anyway as there is not an XP disk here (I will never have a job that needs dual boot as Gmail and OO deal with any possible home/work overlaps!)

These are not software disks as such, things like digital camera installation disks and monitor driver disks.

If it was a Win XP disk I would sell it!

Rackstar
June 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I would still have to do this anyway as there is not an XP disk here (I will never have a job that needs dual boot as Gmail and OO deal with any possible home/work overlaps!)

These are not software disks as such, things like digital camera installation disks and monitor driver disks.

If it was a Win XP disk I would sell it!

Ow sorry, apparently I misread your post. I keep my installation/driver cds, don't know why I would throw them away.

The Real Dave
June 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is just a quick query out of interest really. I'm having a big purge of all categories at the moment and I wondered, now that I have converted my PC to wholly Ubuntu, is it worth hanging onto the Official installation disks that came with my hardware as they are all for Windows.

I'd be interested in a few opinions before I make the decision whether to keep or dispose of them.

Thanks

Susan

Keep them, definately. You'll never know when you may need to use Windows, even if only through Virtualbox. If only my PC had come with OS and driver disks :confused: Would have saved me so much trouble. But I would have never begun to use Linux if I had them :lolflag: But these days, I keep driver disks indefinately :D You'll never know when you'll need em, and they dont exactly take up much space ;)