PDA

View Full Version : Open Source alternatives?

ZarathustraDK
June 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
So I'm making this "Spreadsheet of Proprietary Doom" where I list all of the proprietary software we use, the amount and costs of licenses all summed up to give the total cost of running the software we're running (in other words, what we can save by switching to Open Source, quite a pretty penny so far). Don't worry, I know there are expenses too in connection with a migration, so no need to tell me that, it'll be adressed too ;) (good point here being that migration-costs are one-time-only while license costs are forever through upgrades)

For now though, I'm a bit stumped on what to recommend for alternatives, as I'm not completely familiar with what role every single one of the different programs occupy and/or what would be a good Open Source alternative to the given software. What would you recommend as an alternative?

Here's the list :

MS Visio Standard - ?
MS Visio Pro- ?
MS Access - ?
MS Project -?
MS Project Pro 2007 - ?
MS Publisher - ?
MS Office Sharepoint Designer - ?
Adobe Acrobat Pro - ?
Adobe CS4 Design Premium IE v4 - ?
Adobe Photoshop Elements IE ver7 - ?
Adobe Illustrator 14 - ?
Adobe Indesign - ?

Any bets?

fatality_uk
June 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
So I'm making this "Spreadsheet of Proprietary Doom" where I list all of the proprietary software we use, the amount and costs of licenses all summed up to give the total cost of running the software we're running (in other words, what we can save by switching to Open Source, quite a pretty penny so far). Don't worry, I know there are expenses too in connection with a migration, so no need to tell me that, it'll be adressed too ;) (good point here being that migration-costs are one-time-only while license costs are forever through upgrades)

For now though, I'm a bit stumped on what to recommend for alternatives, as I'm not completely familiar with what role every single one of the different programs occupy and/or what would be a good Open Source alternative to the given software. What would you recommend as an alternative?

Here's the list :

MS Visio Standard - ?
MS Visio Pro- ?
MS Access - ?
MS Project -?
MS Project Pro 2007 - ?
MS Publisher - ?
MS Office Sharepoint Designer - ?
Adobe Acrobat Pro - ?
Adobe CS4 Design Premium IE v4 - ?
Adobe Photoshop Elements IE ver7 - ?
Adobe Illustrator 14 - ?
Adobe Indesign - ?

Any bets?

Just check my sig

gletob
June 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
MS Visio Standard - OpenOffice Draw
MS Visio Pro- OpenOffice Draw
MS Access - Nothing really compares (I mean NOTHING)

The others I have no use for so...

ZarathustraDK
June 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Just check my sig

That's a wonderful resource, thanks :)