PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a active member

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Dear all,

I am a new person in this community.I want to be a active member of this community but i am from a non technical background.Although i am interested in all this technical things but i am unable to invest that much of money behind the study materials.So can any body suggest me about some free study materials where i can gain some knowledge about hardware and networking and become a active member of this community and help others in using ubuntu properly and in a nice manner.Kindly do suggest me some good option.your proper suggestion can change someone's future.
-

Tibuda
June 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Start helping people with easy questions in the Absolute Beginner Forum. You can help with harder questions when you learn more.

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
thanks for your suggestion sir but actually i have no theoretical knowledge...whatever i do is keep on experimenting with my computer as well as following the hit and trial method....so can't remember the steps na...thats y i want to learn about somer technical terms and their usage so that i can understand the problem and give the proper resolution.once again thanks for the reply..

y6FgBn)~v
June 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
A wise man once said "We learn by doing."

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
thats what i beklive sir,but here i can do it with my system only (my hit and trial method),but once the problem is over i cannot remember the exact step i had followed which has solved the problem as well as i dont know the names of many thing,,so ieven after willing to help others i find myself unable and fully stuck.

jbruced
June 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Great attitude!

Download a free, pretty good guide.

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

Lots of things you can help the new users with in there.

GL
Bruce

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
thanks a lot for all the cooperation i am getting from u all...really it was totally unexpected forthe support and advice i have received from u all.the valuable suggestions provided by you have boost up my moral as well as my confidence.very soon i will become a active member like you all and will help others in solving their problems regarding ubuntu usage....i have that full faith in me as well as in u all.once again thanks a lot for this active cooperation.

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
downloaded the book...thanks for the link....

UbuntuNerd
June 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
the only way to learn more about Ubuntu is by trying things out, and by reading about others problems in this forum and trying to figure them out. I would make Google your best friend also don't be afraid to make mistakes or brake your system, you can always come here and ask for help also look at this blog (http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/) its got some good tutorials for beginners

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
thanks a lot for all the cooperation i am getting from u all...really it was totally unexpected forthe support and advice i have received from u all.the valuable suggestions provided by you have boost up my moral as well as my confidence.very soon i will become a active member like you all and will help others in solving their problems regarding ubuntu usage....i have that full faith in me as well as in u all.once again thanks a lot for this active cooperation.

It's disappointing that the support and advice was "totally unexpected"; I guess that says a lot about the world in which we live, eh?

Anyway, I recommend keeping a notepad by your computer so that you can jot down the steps you're taking while you're solving problems. Not only does it mean you can then help someone else who encounters the same problem but you also don't need to solve the same problem twice yourself (on the off-chance it occurs again). I always keep a notepad by my computer and although it rarely has problem-solving steps in it any more, it proves infinitely useful in many other ways.

jbruced
June 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's disappointing that the support and advice was "totally unexpected"; I guess that says a lot about the world in which we live, eh?

Anyway, I recommend keeping a notepad by your computer so that you can jot down the steps you're taking while you're solving problems. Not only does it mean you can then help someone else who encounters the same problem but you also don't need to solve the same problem twice yourself (on the off-chance it occurs again). I always keep a notepad by my computer and although it rarely has problem-solving steps in it any more, it proves infinitely useful in many other ways.

Tomboy Notes? (alt-f12);)

Great idea yoda

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Tomboy Notes? (alt-f12);)

Great idea yoda

Hardware note-taking vs Software note-taking:

What if you're taking notes on "how to stop X crashing every 15 seconds"? ;)

But for most things, yes, Tomboy Notes is a valid alternative. :)

jbruced
June 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hardware note-taking vs Software note-taking:

What if you're taking notes on "how to stop X crashing every 15 seconds"? ;)

You win! Excellent come back, funny as hell =D>

UbuntuNerd
June 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I try taking notes when I first started but I found out that I hated writing. Eventually things came to me naturally and now Ubuntu is like an extension of my everyday life if I don't get my daily dose Im not the same person. I guess im an addict :)

meeples
June 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
im learning by using these forums :)

if i ever have a problem i come here to learn how to sort it. and hence i can pass on this knowledge to other people with similar problems.

when i first started using ubuntu i just clicked everything to see what happened :)

and at the moment what im doing is throwing myself into the development version, so that when thing inevitably go wrong i have to learn how to fix them. and plus

its alot of fun :)

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I try taking notes when I first started but I found out that I hated writing. Eventually things came to me naturally and now Ubuntu is like an extension of my everyday life if I don't get my daily dose Im not the same person. I guess im an addict :)

I suffer from dysgraphia, which (for those who don't know) is a medical condition affecting the ability to form legible letters and words. Therefore my notes only make sense to me and are often more drawing-based than writing-based. Notes are notes, really; they don't need to make sense to anybody else. :)

steveneddy
June 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
To the OP - is that your REAL NAME and actual PHONE NUMBER in your signature?

If so I would recommend removing that as soon as possible.

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
hi yoda..
if my statement has hurt anyone then really do apologizze for the same...i didn't mean that...actually i have registered in so many community but didn't get such help like i have received from this community..Actually my statement was just a reflex of those bad memories.but really tyhanks to all of you for this active cooperation...hats off to all these member and their active cooperation.once again i do apologize for the same....

UbuntuNerd
June 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
+1 for this forum and Ubuntu community :)

yoda2031
June 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
hi yoda..
if my statement has hurt anyone then really do apologizze for the same...i didn't mean that...actually i have registered in so many community but didn't get such help like i have received from this community..Actually my statement was just a reflex of those bad memories.but really tyhanks to all of you for this active cooperation...hats off to all these member and their active cooperation.once again i do apologize for the same....

I wasn't offended, I was just saying that in my experience you're quite right that many communities are acidic towards newcomers and I'm disappointed by this trend. It was not you who disappointed me, but those responsible for the bad memories to which you refer. We're all friends here :)

joyneo04
June 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM
thanks a lot....the cooperation i got from u all means a lot to me.....

pbpersson
June 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
There are two ways I remember tips in Ubuntu:

Topics that look interesting I bookmark in a special folder called "Ubuntu Info". Then I make sure to NOT backup my Intrepid desktop bookmarks to my Hardy "server" so if the hard drive ever crashes I will be a newbie again. :confused:

Threads where I have posted I can look up using the advanced search - "find posts that I have created with this key word"

UbuntuNerd
June 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
the one thing I usually do is read back on all my post so that I can review them and remember, is kind like studding for fun and knowledge :smile: