PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thicker resize borders

StevoSn
June 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
hi!
does anybody know how to change the thickness of the resize borders of windows. mine are like one or two pixels in width and it's quite annoying to get the mouse pointer in the right position.

thanks a lot!

celticbhoy
June 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Do you use Emerald?

StevoSn
June 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
well, I don't think so..if not what is the decoration manager that is used by default in ubuntu?
However, is emerald the only way to change the frame size?

Cheers!

celticbhoy
June 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Emerald is by far the easiest, but I think it can be done with GTK as well. A very simple to improve it would be to go to

System --> Preferances --> Appearance
Select customise
Select Window Borders Tab & pick a border with a larger edge.

But I would think there must be some way to actually set the amount of pixels used, possibly in gconf.

StevoSn
June 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
alright! I will have a look at this.

Cheers!!

celticbhoy
June 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
If this proves not to be enough and you can run Emerald, then it is just a case of editing the theme and adjusting the frame size.

ad_267
June 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
You don't really need thick borders because you can use Alt+Middle click and drag to resize a window.

darthmob
June 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
you do not need to resize the borders!
resizing windows can be done with pressing alt + and dragging the middle mouse button.

(at least that is what the google results say. I have got a different combination on my setup in openbox window manager)

// edit: ok, this post is now sort of redundant. why can I not delete it?

ad_267
June 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
// edit: ok, this post is now sort of redundant. why can I not delete it?

Yeah that happens a lot :). And yeah the shortcuts are different for different window managers. KDE uses Alt+Right click. Gnome which is the default in Ubuntu uses the middle button