PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer Drivers

CosmicFlux
June 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hey,

OK, I'm getting a new printer/scanner but I'm not sure about Linux support. Is it just a case of going to the manufacturers website and checking if they have Linux drivers for their products?

Cosmic

SuperSonic4
June 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
That is one way but an easier way is to check the OpenPrinting Database (http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi) and look for a printer with a Perfect rating.

HP are said to be good printers and mine works perfectly

dje
June 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I got a HP F2280 all-in-one from Wilkinsons for 30, works great. Just plug in and print, if i remember correctly

dje

clive littlewood
June 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hi

HP printers are very Linux friendly and you can download the HPlip package from HP and this will give you a "toolbox" for checking ink levels etc.

Clive

stwschool
June 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
HP printers work well, I've also had a few Epson printers and they have all been Plug in and go. On the rare occasions something doesn't work, usually selecting a similar printer from a list (ie if yours is a x220 choose x210 or whatever) works well.

EDIT: hplip - don't need to go to hp site, it's available in the repositories:
Method 1:
System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager (it gets programs for you) -> search for hplip -> Tick the box and apply.

Method 2:
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal -> type sudo apt-get install hplip and press enter and follow the prompts.

CosmicFlux
June 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hey, thanx!

Got an HP PhotoSmart C4585. Just plugged it in and within about 3 seconds it was printing a test page!

Cosmic

Sef
June 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
HP printers are very Linux friendly and you can download the HPlip package from HP and this will give you a "toolbox" for checking ink levels etc.

You can download the HPLIP Toolbox from add/remove. Just enable All Open Source Software or All Available Applications.