PDA

View Full Version : anyone use windowmaker?

briancurtin
January 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
gnome was giving me trouble earlier today so i changed my session to windowmaker and i was impressed at how quick it is. i used OpenStep back at a previous internship and felt right at home in WM, and being the dork that i am, i even changed the logo in the top right to the NeXT logo. i never even heard more than a slight hum come out of my laptop while running it, you couldnt even really tell it was on, as opposed to the hum the fans give while running gnome with no applications running.

all applications came up incredibly fast, and were very responsive. it really is a great window manager, especially for low-memory machines, but ive been trying gnome out for a while and im starting to like it a lot.

so who runs windowmaker around here? i would have made it a poll, but i think we are polled out around here and its kind of just a yes or no, or an "ive tried it"

darkmatter
January 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
WindowMaker/GNUstep guy myself... a look at the gallery confirms it.;)

ygarl
January 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
WMaker all the way, baby...

I use Gnome sometimes when I need to do USB things (MP3 player songs need changing, etc). I know I could mount it using the command line, etc but just takes too much brain power to sort out. Rest of the time: WMaker...

Slick, has some nice themes, and programs run seriously fast (sometimes 3d games etc almost seem like a different PC in comparison!)

encompass
January 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I like window maker too... I think there is a way to even put gnome and WM together in a nearly seemless way... I did by accident, don't ask how. Back in 2000. Have you considers Enlightenment? That is another great option... thats what linux is all about. Choice.

bonzodog
January 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Windowmaker user all the way here.

fuscia
January 17th, 2006, 06:54 AM
i've tried it a couple of times. i don't like those stupid icons (you know, the ones that look like something on buck rogers' underwear), but otherwise. it seems pretty good. i prefer openbox, myself. both open immediately and, unlike fluxbox, that;s a big plus.

briancurtin
January 17th, 2006, 06:55 AM
im going to start using it more often i think, now that i know others are out there using it on this board.

graabein
January 17th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I've been looking at it for a while and read an interesting article on it somewhere. I recently got an old laptop that I've tried with Ubuntu server install and openbox. Maybe I'll put Window Maker on it as well and finally try it out. :D

Some questions: Do I need the packages menu and pypanel? I guess not pypanel but what about menu? Is there some kind of right-click pulldown like in openbox?

Edit: The article was printed in issue #9 of TUX magazine (http://www.tuxmagazine.com/).

graabein
January 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Well I've installed and setup Window Maker pretty nicely but I just can't figure out how to resize icon images. My firefox and azureus icons are way too big for the boxes. Any takers?

I'm also looking into different file managers. I've tried mc and Xfe but I'm not convinced. Does ROX filer screw up the desktop? I want to keep it panel free and no "My Computer" sort of icons.

Lastly I'm trying to install different dockapps. I found a couple in the repos but they were not quite right. I want a good lookin clock/calendar and something for mounting devices and maybe something for network speeds... Maybe I should take a look at some code and see if I can make my own.

Nah, off to bed. Nite!

curuxz
January 20th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I use Xfe on my laptop, the lightweight wm's kick ass. They are so usefull on misson critical systems where functionality and speed is the primary need.

fuscia
January 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM
i'm loving flwm. it's fast, it opens fast and the choices for maximizing windows are great. it looks kind of early spiderman, as well, so that's a plus.

DaMasta
January 20th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Well I've installed and setup Window Maker pretty nicely but I just can't figure out how to resize icon images. My firefox and azureus icons are way too big for the boxes. Any takers?

I'm also looking into different file managers. I've tried mc and Xfe but I'm not convinced. Does ROX filer screw up the desktop? I want to keep it panel free and no "My Computer" sort of icons.

Lastly I'm trying to install different dockapps. I found a couple in the repos but they were not quite right. I want a good lookin clock/calendar and something for mounting devices and maybe something for network speeds... Maybe I should take a look at some code and see if I can make my own.

Nah, off to bed. Nite!
You'll probably have to manually resize the images to whatever size your squares are. I use xffm for the file manager, sometimes thunar and every now and then rox. Check here (http://dockapp.bensinclair.com/) for more dock apps.

graabein
January 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
You'll probably have to manually resize the images to whatever size your squares are. I use xffm for the file manager, sometimes thunar and every now and then rox. Check here (http://dockapp.bensinclair.com/) for more dock apps.

Thanks. I resized them and they look pretty. But when I start Firefox it reverts back to oversized icons on both the dock box(?) and the running icon. That really hurts! :mad:

Xfe uses old Windows icons throughout. That is terrible. Oh man...

And Brian, you've got something on your nose. I love that episode of Family Guy!

Iesos
January 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM
Hey, it seems that It's here that all the WM users hang out. I'm having some serious problem with Windowmaker. If anyone could help, I would be very thankful. I've posted my problems here:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=119590

Besides those problems, I just love WM!

graabein
January 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Mailing list archives and documentation can be found on the home page (http://www.windowmaker.org/lists.html) and there's also an IRC channel on irc.windowmaker.org called #WindowMaker. I don't know how busy it is but probably more so than this thread. ;)

]Nbx*cmD[
February 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I use WindowMaker since two or three weeks ago and I recommend it to all non-nuclear-reactor-computer-owners for avoiding wasting ram and cpu, just take a look at top process list in gnome/kde and wmaker.
I agree that Gnome and KDE are way much good-looking but i don't want my computer to place it in a museum but to work fast ;)

ubuntumaneh
February 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Addict to WMaker. It is a very productive enviroment. I use it for 4 years now in many different computers. I have tried some others few months ago. WMaker seems to be more pro for me. This is subjective, of course.
The only setback is that resolution of the icons could be more flexible (only 64x64 is allowed. This guarantees a good quality, but if you have a small screen, it can be painful).

liquid boy
February 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
WMaker all the way, baby...

I use Gnome sometimes when I need to do USB things (MP3 player songs need changing, etc). I know I could mount it using the command line, etc but just takes too much brain power to sort out. Rest of the time: WMaker...

if you load gnome-volume-manager on startup, you should be able to use mp3 players in windowmaker just as easy as in gnome...

i found that you had to start in the background though, or it crashed windowmaker :D:|

the more i use windowmaker, the more i like it. it would rule if it had the programme menu in the top right corner, like NeXTStep, so hot. but i guess you can't have everything...

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 10:55 PM
gnome was giving me trouble earlier today so i changed my session to windowmaker and i was impressed at how quick it is. i used OpenStep back at a previous internship and felt right at home in WM, and being the dork that i am, i even changed the logo in the top right to the NeXT logo. i never even heard more than a slight hum come out of my laptop while running it, you couldnt even really tell it was on, as opposed to the hum the fans give while running gnome with no applications running.

all applications came up incredibly fast, and were very responsive. it really is a great window manager, especially for low-memory machines, but ive been trying gnome out for a while and im starting to like it a lot.

so who runs windowmaker around here? i would have made it a poll, but i think we are polled out around here and its kind of just a yes or no, or an "ive tried it"

I keep recommending Windowmaker. Its awesome..
Even with my system I was thinking of switching back to it for a while.
Cheers,
Joey

BWF89
February 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I have a question for you WindowMaker guys.

I was on GNUSteps website and they said that GNUStep is a desktop enviroment but it wasn't X11 and it didn't have a window manager. But when I went on the Wikipedia article on GNUStep it showed a picture of a desktop with what looked like WindowMaker.

Why is this?

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I have a question for you WindowMaker guys.

I was on GNUSteps website and they said that GNUStep is a desktop enviroment but it wasn't X11 and it didn't have a window manager. But when I went on the Wikipedia article on GNUStep it showed a picture of a desktop with what looked like WindowMaker.

Why is this?
Windowmaker is based on GNU-Step. ;)
www.windowmaker.org

Cheers,
Joey

BWF89
February 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Windowmaker is based on GNU-Step. ;)
www.windowmaker.org

Cheers,
Joey
I know WindowMaker and GNUStep are designed to go together even though theres no official connection between them but GNUStep is a full desktop enviroment and WindowMaker is just a window manager. You can't run just a window manager without a desktop enviorment under it without being severely cripples and looseing alot of features. GNUStep said it didn't come with a window manager but they reccomended WindowMaker. Does this mean if I installed GNUStep all I would have to work with is a command line and I would have to apt-get WindowMaker?

dada1958
February 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I like Window Maker a lot, I played with it on my machine at home after reading this thread and I tried it this afternoon on the 1998 Celeron at my work and now I can really work with that box!

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Just look up wmaker and install it. It will install everything you need to get it running. I did install it last night matter of fact. I am going to set it up like I used to have back in the old days when I had a K6-2 400.
Running windowmaker on my current setup listed below ran stupidly fast last night..
Cheers,
Joey

BWF89
February 28th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Just look up wmaker and install it. It will install everything you need to get it running. I did install it last night matter of fact. I am going to set it up like I used to have back in the old days when I had a K6-2 400.
Running windowmaker on my current setup listed below ran stupidly fast last night..
I'm going to install it in on March 9th when I get an old iMac I won in a contest.

Bandit
February 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I'm going to install it in on March 9th when I get an old iMac I won in a contest.
kewl.. I think my screen shots for this month are going to be WMaker as well..
Cheers,
Joey

tattoo_wolf
March 31st, 2006, 08:10 AM
Hey all.. new to ubuntu and the forums here. I have been using linux for years now and have switched over to ubuntu and love it.. I am totally using windowmaker here but wanted to check out their website and keep getting an error message when trying to connect. Is windowmaker.org down for the count because of windowmaker.com?? Any ideas?

L8r
Wolf

briancurtin
March 31st, 2006, 08:17 AM
windowmaker.org is their main page, and its not working for me. i dont know about the .com one, but i dont know what that ones about

graabein
March 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Does anyone know if Window Maker works with XGL and Compiz? I am so green.

darkmatter
March 31st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Does anyone know if Window Maker works with XGL and Compiz? I am so green.

No... windowmaker crashes badly (won't even start) with the xgl server enabled... major errors...

So I guess thats a big fat NO ;)

briancurtin
March 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM
XGL requires a session manager of some sort, not sure if windowmaker has that or not, but darkmatter just said it didnt work for him so that might could be it.

tattoo_wolf
April 5th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I did some digging and found their site again. It seems that windowmaker.com is a window maker and ******* software developer. Guess they raised a big ruccus about windowmaker.org. Their site addy is www.windomaker.info hope this helps anybody looking in the future.

Wolf

briancurtin
April 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
http://www.windowmaker.info/ is the correct link

rustybutt
May 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Count me in as a big Windowmaker fan. I've been using it for about 5 years now.

mainely_linux
April 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
What other window manager is there to use? :p

Seriously, I have a fast machine and still prefer WM over anything else. I've been using it for almost 10 years and cant seem to move away! Simply the best, and fastest!

SunnyRabbiera
April 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I have used it, I really like windowmaker but it is a bit rough in many places.
like editing the menu and stuff, it takes a while to get it working to suit the apps you want.
But man is it fast! and its effects are awesome!

plb
April 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
windowmaker is pretty decent but....ion3 ftw! :)

SunnyRabbiera
April 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
well if you like the terminal...

plb
April 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
well if you like the terminal...

Didn't have much of a choice but to get to know the terminal when I first started with linux, so I'm pretty comfortable with it :)

stalker145
April 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM
After reading this and checking out the web site I considered installing WindowMaker last night. I pulled up Synaptic, checked everything I wanted, and clicked on through. I stopped prior to installation when I noticed that installing WM was going to uninstall everything that had anything to do with Gnome.

I guess my question is this: is it possible to install some other way or will I have to relegate myself to being Gnomeless while I tinker with WM?

Hmm, I just noticed the "Short Guide to Window Maker" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85363&highlight=windowmaker) here on the forums. It doesn't really say anything about this question... The Window Maker site (http://www.windowmaker.info/features.php?show=performance) shows that WM works with Gnome, so this is kinda scary to me...

Well, now I'm babbling. I look forward to any help/consolation that the forum can give. Thanks.

mainely_linux
April 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I stopped prior to installation when I noticed that installing WM was going to uninstall everything that had anything to do with Gnome.

WindowMaker was the first thing I installed when I tried out Ubuntu. I still have Gnome installed for my girlfriend to use. They co-exist just fine together, you can just choose which session to use in GDM.

TheKid965
April 30th, 2007, 12:02 AM
For my own end of things, apt-get install wmaker wmakerconf wmaker-data wmakerconf-data from a terminal window should install everything you need without uninstalling Gnome. It never has or any Ubuntu I've installed (from Breezy to Feisty).

If Synaptic is telling you Gnome will be wiped out, try installing Window Maker this way and see if that does the same thing...

stalker145
April 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I ended up doing the CLI to install Window Maker and went back into Synaptic to install the individual pieces that I found interesting. I ran across one toward the top of the list (I think it was a CPU monitor that integrated into the Nextstep desktop... maybe... Nextstep definitely, CPU monitor, maybe) that was the culprit in wanting to uninstall Gnome. I now have everything together and am beginning to tinker... as with my original move to Linux, this is going to take some retraining as well.

Thank you for the assist and follow-up.

bytor4232
March 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I use Window Maker with Xfce. Just put "xfce4-session &" in GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart in my home directory. Make sure autostart is executable. It gives me all the benefits of a full featured desktop, with the granular control that Window Maker provides.

lsd
May 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
WindowMaker is (for me) a must-have. You can combine it with xcompmgr to add shadows and fading effects to menus and windows, it's more stable than XGL. Try out.

K.Mandla
May 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

graabein
May 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Been a while since I looked at Window Maker. I use regular Ubuntu GNOME on my main box and Xubuntu XFCE on my parents machine.

I've ordered a Nokia N800 internet tablet and in time I think I'll dual boot with Window Maker (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4569).

Update: Window Maker ROX Now Available (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4885)

geneven
June 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
It's funny that you should mention Windowmaker with the Nokia N800. The guy who develops these alternate environments, Penguinbait, used Windowmaker as his first, as I recall, but he more or less abandoned it for KDE.

But new things are coming for the N800 -- I've had mine for over a year. And I advise you to wait till Diablo comes before setting up any alternate environments for the N800. There's a lot of exciting stuff going on with the N800, and you should have a lot of fun, as will I!

I am running Windowmaker now in a version of Ubuntu, and it works great. I am tired of the bloated KDE and Gnome spaces, and I like Windowmaker because I can set it up the way I want, easily, and understand most everything that is going on. Yay, Windowmaker, as straightforward and fast as you can get.

Anzan
June 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm still playing around in Window Maker from time to time but I usually start in from within Fluxbox now.

Oh, and Awesome is indeed awesome.

jviscosi
June 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I used Window Maker for quite a while last year before going back to Fluxbox. Now I'm using OpenBox and dabbling a little with PekWM. I might go back to Window Maker at some point; it's my second or third favorite window manager, depending on the day.

grndslm
June 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Soo.. why would one want windowmaker over openbox or vice-versa?

Krovas
July 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Soo.. why would one want windowmaker over openbox or vice-versa?

Probably because they've tried it and liked it more =D Windowmanagers/GUIs are a very personal thing...pity the poor Winblowz users that have never experienced the joy of picking and choosing their own environment, then spending days tweaking it so that it suits them perfectly.