PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-install 9.04 over existing OS

Gnomester
June 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi all
I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto a Compaq Presario CQ61 alongside Vista from the Live CD and may have made a typo when adding the ROOT password.... so .... If I re-install Ubuntu with the first of only two options in the partition and install window will it overwrite the existing partition setup or will I end up with two 9.04's as well as Vista on my laptop?

I would like to keep Vista as I hope to upgrade to W7 when it is released late this, or next year so I do not want to install to the entire HD and erase Vista.

thanks

Elfy
June 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If you use the manual option you can specify the exisitng partitions. If you have a seperate /home do not format it.

Also look here first - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Gnomester
June 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you Forestpixie, all is well on my computer now...

This must be good karma... as I spent part of my day in the forest with some Pagan friends to show them some nice places for their Yule celebration here in the southern Hemisphere.

Californian Radiata Pine plantations on the edge of Eucalypt forest ... and many white spotted red mushrooms in amongst the Pine .... but I didn't disturb these Pixies homes and found an answer to my problem.

So thank you

Elfy
June 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you Forestpixie, all is well on my computer now...

This must be good karma... as I spent part of my day in the forest with some Pagan friends to show them some nice places for their Yule celebration here in the southern Hemisphere.

Californian Radiata Pine plantations on the edge of Eucalypt forest ... and many white spotted red mushrooms in amongst the Pine .... but I didn't disturb these Pixies homes and found an answer to my problem.

So thank you
Glad to help and the piskies told me you were all very respectful :)