PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty Wireless

Gias Kay
June 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hi,

This is not meant to be a serious discussion, so I am posting it here.

I heard from my friend that Jaunty has a lot of wireless problems so am kinda hesitate about going from Intrepid to Jaunty. Is it true?

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM
i use jaunty on a 3 month old HP HDX 16T and it's been working great.

BslBryan
June 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
While I run 8.04, the 9.04 LiveCD is what I usually run if I need to boot into a Live environment. My wireless chipset is never recognized, but I run two simple commands in the terminal:

sudo rmmod ssb
sudo modprobe wl

And then my wireless light comes on. 5 minutes later at the most, and I'm on the internet. I suppose you can set those commands to run at startup if you're in the same boat I am, or use that wireless to figure out a better solution.

itsStephen
June 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Wireless works fine in Jaunty for me! It's also so much quicker to connect than the previous releases.

perce
June 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
If Jaunty has wireless problems, they are with some chipset, not with all of them. You should try to understand which chipsets give problems (by searching the forum for Jaunty wireless for example) and see if yours is one of them.

Usually every piece of hardware is a different story, so statements of the type X has problems with Y don't usually make much sense if you don't specify which model is Y.

As far as I can tell you, I have an Intel wireless Pro 3945 abg and it works very well. On the other hand Network Manager is still kind of buggy in my opinion, but not more than it was in Intrepid.

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Jaunty did improve the speed and reliability of my RTL8187 wireless, so I don't think there's anything to what your friend was saying. Maybe one or two isolated chipsets have regressions under Jaunty, but then Intrepid's RTL8187 driver was almost useless compared to Hardy's.

ghindo
June 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi,

This is not meant to be a serious discussion, so I am posting it here.

I heard from my friend that Jaunty has a lot of wireless problems so am kinda hesitate about going from Intrepid to Jaunty. Is it true?Nope.