PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Ubuntu from the CD

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I read somewhere that you could just run ubuntu from a cd. I'm not quite ready to backup and wipe my old windows computer, but I want to try Ubuntu out. How do I do this?
:popcorn:

dandnsmith
June 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Download the iso file for (eg) Ubuntu 9.04 desktop,
burn it as an iso to a CD,
boot the CD,
select the run Ubuntu from the CD option.

I seem to remember that the ubuntu downloads section has helpful tips on how to create the CD (in case you haven't done it before).

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Well i was waiting I downloaded and burned the cd following the instructions using Infrarecorder. I put it in my computer, but it had a 30s timer and then said problems running from cd and gave me a reboot button. (and repeat).

Is this probably a problem with my cd burning, or the download didn't work right? Any Ideas?

cybrsaylr
June 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Did you do the 'CD verification' to make sure your CD was burned right?

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Where do I find that?

cybrsaylr
June 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM
When you put your CD in at startup, the 'CD verification test' is one of the first choices shown you.

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Okay. When I turn on the computer, it show the Bios password field, I input that, then the Ubuntu cd starts. I see the Ubuntu logo, then it suddenly goes to the select language and there is a 30s countdown. If I press enter it goes to the screen with (start without changing your system from cd, install, check cd, etc.) If I click start from cd or check cd, it says "error reading boot cd" and then you have to click reboot.

cybrsaylr
June 7th, 2009, 08:13 AM
That's the install menu.
You should get 4 choices before that and one of them is, run verification test on your CD to check for errors in it.

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm going to try it on the better computer to rule out lousy cd drives. *crosses fingers*

cybrsaylr
June 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
You could try that.
Remember, you should always 'verify' the Live CD you burn to check for errors before attempting to use it to install a linux distro.

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Doesn't work in this computer either. How does one verify the disc?

lilyphoenix
June 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I fixed it, the iso file didn't download completely. Thanks for all the help.