PDA

View Full Version : No Plymouth Coming to Ubuntu!

Sashin
June 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Source:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI5NQ

The planned boot time for Karmic +1 will be under 10 seconds. Meaning that by the time plymouth would have had time to load it would have already reached the GDM.

Despite the upset, the increased speed certainly does make things worthwhile. But now there is an important issue that needs to be address.

Someone with the adequate knowledge needs to make a smooth jaunty usplash theme.

Please, if someone here is savvy enough take this theme:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=93386

And convert it so that it uses the jaunty bootloader and it runs on Jaunty.

PLEASE!

SunnyRabbiera
June 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Feh Plymouth doesnt work for me anyway so it dont bother me (certain video cards and systems are not supported by Plymouth.)

Sashin
June 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Still, the idea of a flicker free startup would still be nice. Hopefully someone makes an Ubuntu Usplash smooth for Jaunty.

DeadSuperHero
June 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Well, time to take that cyanide pill I was saving. Goodnight everyone!

Sashin
June 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
But there's still hope, we just need someone to make a jaunty usplash smooth and we'll be able to have a flicker free startup.

jonathanysp
June 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
yea plymouth does look nice but how long do you actually spend on the boot screen each day? 30 seconds? I guess they could make it optional or smth and also make it easier to change usplash screens. and please someone make a smooth jaunty usplash screen!

kpkeerthi
June 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Jaunty's 15 seconds GRUB -> GDM is good enough.

They should rather focus on reducing the GDM -> Desktop load time (~25 seconds for me!) than saving an extra 5 seconds on GRUB -> GDM.

gnomeuser
June 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
And people STILL labor under this inane notion that plymouth is just about beautiful graphics. It's also enabling Kernel Modesetting which greatly improves X startup time which is why Moblin uses a version Plymouth to get their 5 sec boot.

We need something like plymouth to hit a 10sec goal, since they are rejecting plymouth knowing this it is starting smell badly of not invented here syndrome. In which case I imagine it won't be long till we are presented with the KMS enabled usplash, in essense a pointless duplication of work.

Giant Speck
June 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I had to look up what Plymouth was.

REALLY? A boot splash program? #-o

ghindo
June 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
It's kernel modesetting (KMS) which gives a flicker-free boot, not Plymouth specifically. Karmic Koala will have KMS enabled, so there should be a flicker-free boot.

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
They should rather focus on reducing the GDM -> Desktop load time (~25 seconds for me!) than saving an extra 5 seconds on GRUB -> GDM.

+45 (that's the total amount of time it takes for Gnome to start on my computers! One of them has an SSD for gof's sake!)

Mazza558
June 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Jaunty's 15 seconds GRUB -> GDM is good enough.

Absolutely. Especially if people use a lot of panel widgets, GNOME does take ages to load, compared to KDE4.

Sashin
June 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hopefully that'll be solved with gnome 3, and that gnome shell will be a completely optional thing or it'll be improved upon infinitely.

Compiz already does alot of that fancy stuff with a plugin called expo.