PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] burn DVDs?

mpennell
June 7th, 2009, 04:15 AM
OK. I'm on the verge of make The Switch to Xubuntu from WinXP. But... I'm trying to back up family photos. Got some DVDs... but my burner won't work on DVDs, only CDs...? What the heck? I've never heard of people buying seperate DVD burners to go along with their CD burners. I'm a bit perplexed by this. I can painstakingly work through family pics using CDs, or I can do the whole dang thing on a single DVD's 4.7GB. Except it won't let me.

Tells me: In Win, "Please insert disc." In Infrarecorder, simply offers no option to click "OK" when the usual pop-up appears. You can only cancel.

Dell Dim2400,2.66,256RAM,40GB HD, Samsung SW2525 burner.

Have attempted: DVD-R, DVD+RW in both WinXP and Infrarecorder.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also: burner is working fine-- I have tested it on CD-Rs. No prob.

Dudes: This is holding up my Big Xubuntu Moment! Help!

](*,)

73ckn797
June 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I assume that it is a combo drive, DVD/CD? If it is then maybe the drive is messed up?

Therion
June 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I don't meant to ask a stupid question, but...

Is the drive in question a DVD burner (aka a DVD-RW drive)? You can burn CD's on DVD burner but you can't burn DVD's on a CD burner.

mpennell
June 7th, 2009, 04:20 AM
[Exhales in mix of grief and frustration] Yeah. That's it. Gotta be. Damn thing is only meant for CDs.

Hey, you know what? I saw the CUTEST little laptops at Staples today-- only 300 bucks! Tempting!

But I should get a job first...

lisati
June 7th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Is the drive in question a DVD burner (aka a DVD-RW drive)? You can burn CD's on DVD burner but you can't burn DVD's on a CD burner.

+1: even with combo drives, there are sometimes limits. The laptop I recently gave to my nephew can play both DVDs and CDs but can only burn CDs with built-in drive.

mpennell
June 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Man. I am loving this forum. I have learned more computer stuff in the last few days than I have in the past few years prior.

Like the reality that not all burners are created equal...

73ckn797
June 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM
+1: even with combo drives, there are sometimes limits. The laptop I recently gave to my nephew can play both DVDs and CDs but can only burn CDs with built-in drive.

Gotta watch and make certain the drive is not limited to DVD ROM capabilities only, if it has any DVD capabilities.

mpennell
June 7th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Remember, they say there are no stupid questions.

But I will do my best to prove the saying wrong... :D

rickycodie
June 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
many have tried here, but we're pretty non judgemental.