PDA

View Full Version : Got a bunch of new HD channels today.

swoll1980
June 7th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Did this happen to you? Some pretty good ones in there, Scifi, Discovery Science, Nat Geo, A&E, FX, CNN, and Fox News

LookTJ
June 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM
What TV service do you use?

I use AT&T Uverse in my area, and already have most of the channels you listed in HD.

lisati
June 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Not being in the US I don't have the same range of HD channels available. I've only got 14 of those listed at http://www.freeviewnz.tv/whats_on_freeview/channels

edit: it's still heaps better than without HD box, and even better still than the one black-and-white channel available in the 1960s!

swoll1980
June 7th, 2009, 04:19 AM
What TV service do you use?

I use AT&T Uverse in my area, and already have most of the channels you listed in HD.

Time Warner. Before today, we all ready had ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WGN, WUAB, TNT, TBS, HGTV, PLDIA, HDT, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, FOOD, USA, Universal HD, Discovery, History, Golf, and all the premium movie channels.

lisati
June 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Time Warner. Before today, we all ready had ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, WGN, WUAB, TNT, TBS, HGTV, PLDIA, HDT, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, FOOD, USA, Universal HD, Discovery, History, Golf, and all the premium movie channels.

I'd have to get a different set-top box and pay a subscription for those channels. The one I'd probably want to watch most out of that lot would be Discovery channel - it has some good stuff. Being a miserly so-and-so I might be stuck with the "free" ones for now.

swoll1980
June 7th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I'd have to get a different set-top box and pay a subscription for those channels. The one I'd probably want to watch most out of that lot would be Discovery channel - it has some good stuff. Being a miserly so-and-so I might be stuck with the "free" ones for now.

Discovery is my favorite. Nat Geo, and Discovery Science, are really good too.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM
i have all those already. i wish cable companies would do ala carte so i'd just have a handful of awesome channels and not 200+ of b.s.

swoll1980
June 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
i have all those already. i wish cable companies would do ala carte so i'd just have a handful of awesome channels and not 200+ of b.s.

They won't do that because they know that everybody has like ten channels they watch, and could give a crap about the other 200. I watch Disc, Disc Science, Nat Geo, USA, TNT, History, Tru, and ESPN. That's 8. Eight out of 200 I actually watch.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 06:09 AM
They won't do that because they know that everybody has like ten channels they watch, and could give a crap about the other 200. I watch Disc, Disc Science, Nat Geo, USA, TNT, History, Tru, and ESPN. That's 8. Eight out of 200 I actually watch.

that's about my running list too, lol.

oh wait:

VS
Speed

can't live without my hockey and Formula One.

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I get about 10 HD channels OTA, and that's all I have. I don't watch TV much. It's all about Hulu. :D

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
It's all about Hulu. :D

not when you have a 50" plasma =)

MikeTheC
June 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I don't subscribe to any premium services or have any equipment in my home. I just have sub-Tier 1 minimum basic TV from my cable provider (Comcast) + cable modem service (which starting last billing cycle they're now charging me $10/mo less for).

So frankly I couldn't tell you if Comcast in this area has added anything to their line-up. It doesn't exist in my "universe" so I wouldn't know.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
thanks for being frank.

gn2
June 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
~ can't live without my ~ Formula One.

Didn't think F1 was popular across the pond.

If you're any kind of a petrolhead, look for coverage of the Isle Of Man TT which is running this week, it's probably the maddest baddest race anywhere.

pbpersson
June 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah.....when is that HD conversion supposed to happen here, anyway?

I heard it was supposed to be 2006 then they said no wait, let's make it February of 2009.....then they said, "Oh, people cannot feed their kids or keep their homes and they are losing their jobs so they are not buying big screen televisions" so they called it off again.

What the heck? :o

Personally, I totally lost interest in television when my TiVo broke. When it was working I burned over 200 movies and lots of TV shows to DVD and I watch those when I have a few moments.

laceration
June 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I think it is interesting that closed source software is much discussed with vitriol, but when it comes to cable/satellite TV it seems to go over everybody's head.

Cable/satellite TV is the most locked up, closed thing there is. Compare cable to to MS Windows:

---------------Windows---------Cable

cost.............$70 once...........$70 /month
computer.....any you own......theirs, you rent
content........unlimited...........limited, 98% crap

I prefer Linux, but Windows does not make me froth at the mouth. Cable sure does though.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM

If you're any kind of a petrolhead, look for coverage of the Isle Of Man TT which is running this week, it's probably the maddest baddest race anywhere.

yeah, i'm definitely a minority in the states when it comes to what kind of racing i prefer. been an F1 fan for as long as i can remember, thanks to my father. i always enjoy things like rally and touring cars as well.

thanks for the head's up, i'll definitely be checking it out.

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah.....when is that HD conversion supposed to happen here, anyway?

I heard it was supposed to be 2006 then they said no wait, let's make it February of 2009.....then they said, "Oh, people cannot feed their kids or keep their homes and they are losing their jobs so they are not buying big screen televisions" so they called it off again.

What the heck? :o

Personally, I totally lost interest in television when my TiVo broke. When it was working I burned over 200 movies and lots of TV shows to DVD and I watch those when I have a few moments.

It's happening June 12, which is only 5 days away. :D But I doubt it affects anyone on this forum, since most Linux users probably aren't tech-phobic.

And btw, TiVo is HUGE ripoff. Get yourself a Linux HTPC and a big HDD.

MikeTheC
June 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
thanks for being frank.
Oh, hot dog, how to respond to this case of mistaken identity. I'm not frank! Frank's the guy who lives two doors down and is a beanie-weenie salesman. I'm Mike, and I approve this massage!

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the massage.

H2SO_four
June 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM

I can empathize with you, being a fan of Rally racing and everything is basically NASCAR.

I had the free premiums about 2 weeks ago.

mips
June 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM

F1 is so boring, even A1 is more exciting.

Yip the TT is great to watch. I do however believe all those that partake have a few screws loose.

WRC is also great to watch, probably my favourite motorsport followed by the annual Dakar Rally.

swoll1980
June 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM
The only racing I can watch is the GT1 races with the Corvettes, Vipers, 911s, and those types of cars.

MikeTheC
June 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I remember "back in the day" when Cablevision (then the local cable provider) would, maybe once or twice a year, turn off all their scrambling and give everyone free full cable (no pay-per-view, of course) for a week as an enticement so you could see what it was you were missing.

Oddly, it seemed like I never had the tv on (or was even at home, let alone "in front of it") when they would do that. Not that it would honestly have made much of a difference, and that was before we had general public access to the interweb tubez...

pbpersson
June 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
And btw, TiVo is HUGE ripoff. Get yourself a Linux HTPC and a big HDD.

I am looking at MythBuntu for a future adventure - after the economy recovers and my personal finances are better. No rush......

logos34
June 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Personally I think TV is pure crap...All 200+ channels or whatever. Gave up on it a long time ago. It's all commercials anyway--why would I care if I can see them in HD now??? Totally unwatchable in my book. TV "news" is a joke...If you have a nice big flat panel, get dvds at the library or video store...That's the way I like watching things--discrete, concentrated viewing events. Even watching dvds on a small lappy screen is surprisingly engrossing if it has good sound card and a pair of headphones.

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Personally I think TV is pure crap...All 200+ channels or whatever. Gave up on it a long time ago. It's all commercials anyway--why would I care if I can see them in HD now???

i watch my shows on MY time, not the station's time. all commercials get the FF treatment, so not sure what the big deal is.

logos34
June 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
i watch my shows on MY time, not the station's time. all commercials get the FF treatment, so not sure what the big deal is.

still mostly crap, even without the commercials...

pwnst*r
June 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
mostly, yes, but you can't do ala carte as we've already discussed.

Vostrocity
June 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I personally love watching TV commercials as much as the actual programming, especially if you're on a major channel. I may be weird, but modern TV commercials are often very interesting/funny/etc. And as pwnst*r said, there's a lot of TV content you can't find on DVD. The other thing about watching live TV is that your friends are all watching the same thing, so you can talk about it the next day.

swoll1980
June 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM
still mostly crap, even without the commercials...

The 8 channels I watch are worth the $50 a month I have to pay for them. I had to watch the Cavs' title run on TNT, and FSN. I would have payed $50 a month for those two channels alone.