PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for changing careers

swappo1
June 7th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hello,

I am interested in changing careers to computer programming/software development. I have a B.S. in biology and about 13 years experience. Most of it is in biotechnology manufacturing. The industry I am in pays well but the stress/pressure is very high and the job has little in the way of challenges. I would like to do something in programming that will have challenges but at the same time I don't want to have to start over at the bottom of the pay scale.

I have been programming for about a year now as a hobby but I am wondering what I should do to pursue a career in programming at this point. I am working with C/C++ and am starting to learn Qt. I have worked for awhile with SDL and game programming. I know I still have a lot to learn. Some questions I have are: Can I just learn on my own or should I go back to school part time? I could learn much quicker on my own but do I really need to get another degree to get a job? What would I need to learn on my own to make the transition? What would be the best area to go into? Eventually my goal would be to work from home writing programs for businesses. Thanks.

Mirge
June 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Don't really know your level of experience with software development... you could go back to school and get a degree, which has its benefits... or you could get some real world experience.. or even do both if time permits.

Take on small jobs at rentacoder, oDesk, etc... built up a nice portfolio over time and move onto bigger & better paying jobs.

The approach you take to the transition is really all up to you. It's a tough industry, but can be very rewarding!

nsche
June 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I would advise you to use your domain knowledge as an in for transitioning to software. When I decided to go into software I got an MS in CS in nightschool just so I would have a ticket that others could relate to. That might be useful in your case also.

Many think they know something about business problems and solutions so you would be competing on an equal level with countless others with little experience. In Biotech Manufacturing you would have domain knowledge which should enable you to understand problems and envision solutions with experience and knowledge few others would have. I think you would benefit by building on your experience, education and knowledge.

YMMV
Norm

swappo1
June 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will be enrolling in a class for the fall. Maybe I can take the necessary core classes and get into an M.S. program.

dwhitney67
June 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
You should perhaps consider looking for work in a medical company. Many high-tech medical devices employ the use of software, and it wont hurt if have a biology degree and you are competent with software development. Many medical devices use C and/or C++; some even use Qt.

randallecook
June 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
The fields of biology (especially molecular biology and genetics) and computer science are rapidly converging, or at least leveraging each other. Your experience level will not make you very competitive at an average software company, but your biology background should help considerably at a life sciences software company.

Don't forget that software does not exist for cutting-edge experiements, which is what makes them cutting edge. You could join a team and make that software. Also, read http://www.joelonsoftware.com/ for interview tips. If you are smart, and can get things done, you'll do fine.

ranthal
June 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The fields of biology (especially molecular biology and genetics) and computer science are rapidly converging, or at least leveraging each other. Your experience level will not make you very competitive at an average software company, but your biology background should help considerably at a life sciences software company.

I'd second this. I have a friend with an EE background starting work this August at a biotech company doing PCB design and he was telling me there are about 10 EE/SW Engineers at the company which is insanely little. He himself is fresh out of a Bachelor's program at UCLA so has very little experience.

As the biotech industry it ramps up it will need to be able to interface more and more with the current technology available, take for instance the recent growth of Google Health, so there will be a large market for people who understand biology and can implement it in a usable experience for doctors, patients, etc.