PDA

View Full Version : World's largest horse/Gypsy fair

mancha
June 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM
A few years ago I had the chance to visit the Appleby Horse Fair as a spectating day visitor, Not being a Gypsy myself the experience was a complete and utter eye opener. To see young kids riding horses with no saddles and impeccable horsemanship was extraordinary. Hope to go again before I die (maybe 2010)
I know in most towns that Gypsies have a dreadful reputation but I did'nt let that preconceive any ideas of what the fair would be like and yet found them to be friendly and welcoming. Horses everywhere, thousands of them.

http://g.imagehost.org/0831/1b3f6.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0812/256.jpg

http://g.imagehost.org/0059/44183.jpg

handy
June 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I adore Clydesdale's, they are a passion of my life.

Thanks for the photo's. :D

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 05:14 AM
not into horses, but that chick's pretty hot.

Vostrocity
June 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM
+1 :D

Didn't know gypsies were still around, not in the US at least.

koshatnik
June 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Part 1 of How To Spot A Nerd.

TheSlipstream
June 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Only nerds like girls? All non-nerds like horses? :???:

koshatnik
June 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Only nerds like girls? All non-nerds like horses? :???:

Nah, its about what people notice. As a photographer, I take pictures of models, male and female, and also things like live events and stuff. You take a really great picture of say a live event, such as the one in the photo's, and if there is a picture of even a vaguely attractive female in it, a nerd will latch onto that and talk about that. Its amusing, and sometimes a bit annoying. I just recognised that scenario from this thread thats all.

"Yeah its a girl. You not seen a girl before? What about the rest of the picture...?"

xpod
June 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hope to go again before I die (maybe 2010)

I was worried about you for a moment there.

TheSlipstream
June 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
"Yeah its a girl. You not seen a girl before? What about the rest of the picture...?"

Ah, yes. I know exactly what you mean. It kind of makes me sad, especially on forums and games. Yes, they are a female. Don't you know any real ones that you can fawn over? :P

Honestly.

Edit: Also, I keep reading that line in my head with a Robert De Niro voice. Must be the "you not". :/

fatality_uk
June 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
It's a nice couple of days. I lived in a small village close by Appleby for a while, traffic is a NIGHTMARE though :D If anyone does go, get across the bridge in town, turn right towards the Police station and there an ice cream shop just round the corner.

hatten
June 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I lol'd

Sand & Mercury
June 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
The gypsies with the bad rep aren't the kind you'll find at gypsy fairs. You find them squatting in abandoned buildings and sitting in the streets with one of their feet or arms hanging out at a sickening angle because their fathers disfigured 'em at birth to make more effective beggars. They're all over the joint here.

The fair looks cool though. I dig the horses that look like they're wearing flares.

pwnst*r
June 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM

i'm a self professed geek, not a nerd, boy.

mancha
June 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM

I guess I have completely missed something here lol :D

mancha
June 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
The gypsies with the bad rep aren't the kind you'll find at gypsy fairs. You find them squatting in abandoned buildings and sitting in the streets with one of their feet or arms hanging out at a sickening angle because their fathers disfigured 'em at birth to make more effective beggars. They're all over the joint here.

The fair looks cool though. I dig the horses that look like they're wearing flares.

Agreed, there's good and bad in all cultures and societies.

handy
June 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM
There are a lot more pictures available on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/places/features/appleby_horse_fair/