PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about Beryl

swish
June 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Hey all,
I am new to using linux.
I got Ubuntu and was wondering how to install the beryl manager.
If i google it, there are instructions on beryl for ubuntu fiesta, but there are no instructions for installing it on regular ubuntu. My version is 9.04.
To be specific I want the 3d cube desktop.

thanks for any help,

Swish

kayvortex
June 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
You're a couple of years late! Beryl was merged back into Compiz and no longer exists. All those fancy graphics are now a part of Compiz Fusion. And, luckily, it's pre installed: just go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance, go to the Visual Effects tab and choose the Extra option.

Edit:
If you want the desktop cube, you'll also have to install the settings manager. Run this command in a terminal:

sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
Then, in a terminal enter:

ccsm
In the program that opens up, go to the section headed Desktop and check the box Desktop Cube (and click on the Disable button if any warning box pops up).

Edit edit:
Let me know if anything makes no sense to you and I'll be more explicit on what to do.

swish
June 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Hey thanks for the reply.
I seem to be having a problem though; when I try to activate the effects, the
screen blinks, but it gives me a cannot apply effects error.
Maybe its a driver issue?
Here are my technical specs:

swish
June 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hey thanks for the reply.
But I seem to be having some problems.
When I try to apply the effects, the screen flashes for a second,
but then it says effects could not be applied.
I think it maybe a driver issue.
I checked Hardware Drivers and there is only one driver listed there which is my wireless card.
If you need technical specs:
Dell Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM
Intel onboard graphics card(tell me if you need the exact specification to help me out)
I am dual booting vista and ubuntu, if that has any affect.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,
Swish

kayvortex
June 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Most likely it will be a driver issue. Could you tell me what graphics card you are using and I'll do a bit of research. Just type in (Edit: into a terminal, I mean):

lspci
and post what comes out if you don't know off the top of your head.

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Most likely it will be a driver issue. Could you tell me what graphics card you are using and I'll do a bit of research. Just type in (Edit: into a terminal, I mean):

lspci
and post what comes out if you don't know off the top of your head.

Intel onboard graphics card(tell me if you need the exact specification to help me out)

There are known issues with Intel drivers on Ubuntu 9.04, unfortunately. I haven't used Compiz on Intel drivers on 9.04 so I don't know how to fix the issue, but there are lots of threads about this on the forums. (do a search for "desktop effects intel", probably).

swish
June 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hey,

Terminal lists the following two drivers for graphics:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

In the mean time, I will try to search the forums like 3rd album said.

thanks,

Swish

Edit: By the way my old laptop, when I ran Ubuntu 7 a year or so back, there were some effects. For example, when I dragged the windows
it would "swirl." That laptop had a intel onboard graphics as well, so 3rd album you sure its because of intel? My best guess is that
Ubuntu 9 has a "updated" driver for intel chipset. Is there a way I can test the ubuntu 7 driver that I used on my old laptop?

kayvortex
June 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
OK, as 3rdalbum says, there are a few guides on what to do around here. Googling your card, I came across thiese:
http://www.rudkin.me.uk/2009/04/22/how-to-get-your-intel-gm965gl960-working-with-compiz-on-ubuntu-jaunty-jackalope/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/compiz/+bug/363821
So just give them a read and follow their instructions.

swish
June 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hey,

Kayvortex the link you sent me was the solution.
It works perfectly now.

Thanks,

Swish

swish
June 7th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Sorry for the double post.

But I ended up disabling because my system crashed when i tried to enable the desktop cube.
Even without the desktop cube, my computer felt unstable.
I guess intel is just no compatible with compiz.

I hope it will be fixed in future updates.

However, is there a way I can report this so that Ubuntu tries to address this on their next release?

kayvortex
June 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well, the bug has been registered already and is rated "critical". If they get a fix sorted they might patch it into a Jaunty release, or else have it fixed for Karmic (which will be released in a few months time). Keep an eye on the bug reports and read through the comments to see what's happening and what others are suggesting or trying:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/compiz/+bug/363821
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/359392

swish
June 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Okay thanks, I will keep an eye on the bug report.
Hey by the way when there is a new release of Ubuntu, will the update manager take care of it
or will I have to burn a new iso?

Swish

phantom3113
June 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
It will be available through the update manager. Some prefer to burn a new iso since straight upgrading can sometimes "break" packages, but it's generally a matter of personal preference.