PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pentium III won't boot off disk

CJ_Hudson
June 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to install the new OS software (which I have burned to a disk on another PC) on an old Asus Pentium III desktop (currently running Windows 98 :KS) and can't get it to boot from the drive. I have tried pressing all combinations of keys however it still refuses to recognise the disk or let me into the bios to change the boot order.

Any ideas anyone?

bjk03
June 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Try pressing the delete key to get into the BIOS

elliotn
June 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Try pressing F1 or F2 or Del
Try all

vegaramos
June 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to install the new OS software (which I have burned to a disk on another PC) on an old Asus Pentium III desktop (currently running Windows 98 :KS) and can't get it to boot from the drive. I have tried pressing all combinations of keys however it still refuses to recognise the disk or let me into the bios to change the boot order.

Any ideas anyone?

I'm having the same issue with my P3 equipped Compaq Armada M700. Haven't found a workaround yet.

Faceless79
June 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm having the same issue with my P3 equipped Compaq Armada M700. Haven't found a workaround yet.

I have a similar laptop (armada e500) to get to the bios you have to hit f10 right after the compaq splash scree. You will see something like intel boot.. .. At the top. Thats when you hit f10

CJ_Hudson
June 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I have now heard something about manually setting the boot order by changing the position of some jumpers on the motherboard. Can someone confirm/deny this rumour?

kerry_s
June 14th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I have now heard something about manually setting the boot order by changing the position of some jumpers on the motherboard. Can someone confirm/deny this rumour?

no, you can not, the bios is software not hardware.
why don't you just google your machine or motherboard manual?

theozzlives
June 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I've had that with some older PCs. Try taking out a memory stick, or unplug the HD, it should force you into CMOS.

wpshooter
June 14th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Did you actually "BURN" the ISO image to the CD or did you just copy it as data, NOT CORRECT ?

For BIOS, start tapping whatever key it is that you think gives access to the BIOS just as soon as you hit that power button and keep tapping about once every 1/2 second until it either goes into the BIOS/SETUP screen or it boots windows 98. Try this same method for any and all of the keys that you might think is the correct key. Some common ones are: DEL, F1, F2, F10. If it is not one of these 4 then you are going to have to find the owners manual of the computer or see if you can find the BIOS access key by searching with Google.

Good luck.

CJ_Hudson
June 25th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, I created an ISO image using an ISO burner. Thanks for the assistance!