PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help Running Zune Software on Jaunty.

musicartlife7
June 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hey guys.

My operating system on my Toshiba Satellite M305-S4815 is Ubuntu 9.04. I love and adore it so far. The only negative thing about it (and not even it, it's Zune's fault) is that I can't run my Zune software. I have spent hours researching this and have decided against VMWare, as I'm a broke college student.

Instead, I watched a tutorial on how to install another operating system with Virtualbox. I have successfully installed this. Unfortunately, I only have the Toshiba recovery disc. I don't have and OS disc. The recovery discs run Windows Vista, and if I can load this onto my computer, that would be wonderful. I love Jaunty, and to have Jaunty but be able to run Zune would be fantastic.

So here's what happens...

I have chosen Vista for the new system, and I press "start" in Virtualbox. It then loads windows fine. Then it gives me the option of Toshiba Recovery Wizard or another option of System Setup. I tried Toshiba Recovery, to no avail. It failed immediately. I restarted Virtualbox and chose the System Setup instead. It brought me to a new menu, and said to choose the OS I wanted to install. There were no options, so I chose "load drivers." This is where it got hairy. I have no clue on the discs where the drivers for Vista are. Not a clue.

If there is anyone that can help me with this problem, I would be eternally greatful. If there's an easier way, that would even be fantastic. My music collection is massive, and I would love to actually be able to listen to it. :)

Thanks everyone!

Mark Phelps
June 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM
The recovery disks are designed to completely restore your hard drive to the state it was in when first loaded. Even if it DID work within a virtual machine, when done, your entire drive would be wiped clean with the original installation back in place.

So, basically, you can't do what you want to do.

You will need an actual installation disk to do what you want.

musicartlife7
June 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Okie dokie. Thanks! You wouldn't happen to know an alternative way to get the Zune program working on Ubuntu?

If worst comes to worst, I'll simply reload my original OS and use Virtualbox to run Ubuntu. A bigger pain in the neck, but all well.