PDA

View Full Version : Am I windows free?

balloooza
June 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
How many of you think that running windows XP in a virtual box is still "having windows on a computer"
I guess I could say i don't have windows, if I don't have the entry on grub.

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Windows in a box, is still Windows imho.

Barrucadu
June 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
But you still have Windows installed and, if you installed it in VB, presumably use it. Thus, you're not windows free.

speedwell68
June 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
It doesn't really matter. I still have to have Xp in VirtualBox, just because I have a Sony Minidisc Recorder and it won't work in Linux.

Muffinabus
June 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'd say that still counts as using Windows.

Daveski
June 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Doesn't matter if the box is real or virtual, it is still running Windows. More to the point, it requires a Windows license.

donniezazen
June 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I do not use virtualbox but i have XP installed as dual boot. In case my Ubuntu wireless is not working. I don't think that virtualbox is needed anymore almost everything is available in Ubuntu and it is always good to use native Linux softwares.

SK

Screwdriver0815
June 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I am *being proud* windows free.

The HDD where Windows was installed, is formatted and I don't have any Windows on my Computer - neither virtual nor real.

):P

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
how is this even a question?

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I am *being proud* windows free.

The HDD where Windows was installed, is formatted and I don't have any Windows on my Computer - neither virtual nor real.

):P

I guess you don't have a magicjack then.

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Really. It's like "I have my cat in a cage." "Am I cat free?"

-grubby
June 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Why do you care?

Tipped OuT
June 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Why do you care?

there are quite a few members that care about this. i applaud those that can totally break free from using Windows, although i certainly am not and will not be one of them.

Screwdriver0815
June 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I guess you don't have a magicjack then.
what is a magicjack?

Oh the only thing I still have, is the install cd... but I will crack it, I think, or maybe use it as a coaster/saucer

adrianx
June 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have XP in VirtualBox for one reason and one reason alone... to see if there are firmware updates for my Nokia phone. There was one a few months ago, but my contract expires in less than a year, so I will get a new phone, anyway. It is a legal (unused) copy of XP Home edition (that someone gave me). I keep it updated and "anti-virused" and I even defrag now and again. I'm not prepared to buy the whole Office suite, so for me it is pretty much useless.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have XP in VirtualBox for one reason and one reason alone... to see if there are firmware updates for my Nokia phone. There was one a few months ago, but my contract expires in less than a year, so I will get a new phone, anyway. It is a legal (unused) copy of XP Home edition (that someone gave me). I keep it updated and "anti-virused" and I even defrag now and again. I'm not prepared to buy the whole Office suite, so for me it is pretty much useless.

well if you're ONLY using XP to get firmware updates for your phone, there's absolutely no reason to defrag.

adrianx
June 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
well if you're ONLY using XP to get firmware updates for your phone, there's absolutely no reason to defrag.
;)
Okay, you have a point.... At first, I installed and uninstalled lots of free stuff, but not so much any more. Of course I had to try IE8 - to see what the fuss was all about, Chrome and also see what FF was like in Windows, so there were quite a few cache and temp files around.

Let's say that for the last 3 months, I haven't really needed to defrag that much.

Delever
June 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Personally, I tried to quit, but cravings were so unbearable that I continue to use it.

Dawei87
June 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Personally, I tried to quit, but cravings were so unbearable that I continue to use it.

just curious... what drives you to keep using windows? even while i was still dual-booting i HATED booting into windows for any reason. as soon as i got my computer completely figured out and learned enough about linux i wiped my hard drive and never even looked back. what are some of the things you guys need to dual-boot for? (once again, just curious)

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
just curious... what drives you to keep using windows? even while i was still dual-booting i HATED booting into windows for any reason. as soon as i got my computer completely figured out and learned enough about linux i wiped my hard drive and never even looked back. what are some of the things you guys need to dual-boot for? (once again, just curious)

games
itunes
recording software (cakewalk, etc)
games

Dawei87
June 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM
games
itunes
recording software (cakewalk, etc)
games

ok. i get games and some special software for recording or graphic design and music/video production. i guess itunes just to sync with an ipod? or podcasts? can you not do all that with media applications in linux?

Sinkingships7
June 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
ok. i get games and some special software for recording or graphic design and music/video production. i guess itunes just to sync with an ipod? or podcasts? can you not do all that with media applications in linux?

You can make yourself breakfast by going out back, grabbing an egg from the chicken cage, slaughtering a pig, milking the cow, and building a fire. But... do you really want to? ;)

iTunes provides seamless integration with iPods. At the cost of possibly sounding subjective here, there's just no better way to do it, though I'm keeping my hopes high for Songbird.

Dawei87
June 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
ok. yea, i understand using it for ipods. especially touch, because afaik they are not supported in linux at all. honestly though, i tried banshee to sync with my ipod video (i have not tried to sync videos yet though) and it was just as easy as itunes now (over the past year or so, itunes has started to become a huge hassle for me, and for me, banshee actually seemed less painful). all i did was click the sync buttom and twenty minutes later all 17gib of my music was synced with album art playlist and everything. im not trying to make everyone stop dual-booting or anything, im just interested in both windows and linux shortcomings and what all people need thier computers for, and also just to mention linux is much more ipod friendly than before

pwnst*r
June 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
ok. yea, i understand using it for ipods. especially touch, because afaik they are not supported in linux at all. honestly though, i tried banshee to sync with my ipod video (i have not tried to sync videos yet though) and it was just as easy as itunes now (over the past year or so, itunes has started to become a huge hassle for me, and for me, banshee actually seemed less painful). all i did was click the sync buttom and twenty minutes later all 17gib of my music was synced with album art playlist and everything. im not trying to make everyone stop dual-booting or anything, im just interested in both windows and linux shortcomings and what all people need thier computers for, and also just to mention linux is much more ipod friendly than before

how do you update the firmware via linux? music/photo syncing is only part of the equation.

bruno9779
June 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
windose free IMHO is not using even WINE

As I do

(although I am stuck with windose at work)

RevRogue
June 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I am completely Windows free @ my home except my wifes PC, I still cannot get her to switch. It I am sure will take a lot more convincing and perhaps bribery. Thankfully I am not having to use windows @ work anymore. I started working for a company where I am using UNIX. :D My (computer) life is so stress free.

bruno9779
June 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM

The fact that GIMP does not support CMYK is the main reason many graphic professionals do not use linux or constantly have to boot in windose

Ozor Mox
June 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It doesn't matter if you are Windows free or not. The only thing that matters is whether you need to use it. If you do, use the appropriate means (Wine, VM or dual boot). If you don't, use only Linux.

Dawei87
June 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
how do you update the firmware via linux? music/photo syncing is only part of the equation.

ah. thats true. i didnt even think of that. i guess mine is just so old they havent had any updates in a long time. :)

dspari1
June 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I also have Windows XP installed inside of VirtualBox. I'm not Windows Free, but I'll get there as soon as Office 2007 is emulated in Wine with 100% functionality.

Delever
June 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM

Well, I kinda intentionally mixed topic (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1178700), but yeah, I need windows for my work.

tcoffeep
June 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Windows-Free would not be using it at all.

Wiebelhaus
June 10th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Na , I'd say your host OS would be what your using , besides within a few years we'll have hardware level visualization and we'll be able to flip through OS's like Flipping tabs , so what does it matter?

I put it to people like this:

"I have not logged into a windows machine with my credentials , email or a single password in over three years , because I simply don't trust it"