PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get fails with 'unable to create' messages

tim_t
June 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have somewhat recently installed ubuntu 9.4, and have installed some updates as they appeared in the package manager or update program. I'll apologize in advance as I did not write down exactly what steps were taken, but [edit: "Days after running an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade"] I noticed an update to openssh, and attempted to install it -- failed -- checked on some dependencies, and started trying to upgrade those. long story short, I have a list of packages that keep getting marked for removal, and they fail to remove. If I set it to upgrade or reinstall, it also fails. Here is the message I get right now:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cron_3.0pl1-105ubuntu1.1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/cron'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/update-motd_1.11.1_all.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/update-motd'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%3a5.1p1-5ubuntu1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/sshd'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/foomatic-db-engine_4.0.0-0ubuntu6.1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/foomatic-kitload'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cups_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/cupsd'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cups-bsd_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/lpc'
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cups-client_1.3.9-17ubuntu3.1_i386.deb: unable to create `./usr/sbin/cupsaddsmb'I get the same message when I run apt-get from the command line even as root.

Here is something I find quite strange: all of the files except update-motd are currently present on my system, but even root cant seem to create the file (even an empty one)

root:/usr/sbin# ls -al lpc
ls: unrecognized prefix: do
ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9612 Apr 28 05:59 lpc
root:/usr/sbin# ls -al cupsd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 400584 Apr 28 05:59 cupsd
root:/usr/sbin# ls -al foomatic-kitload
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3246 Mar 27 06:12 foomatic-kitload
root:/usr/sbin# ls -al sshd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 268804 Jan 28 16:01 sshd
root:/usr/sbin# update-motd
root:/usr/sbin# touch update-motd
touch: cannot touch `update-motd': Permission denied
root:/usr/sbin# touch ./update-motd
touch: cannot touch `./update-motd': Permission deniedPermissions seem to be ok on the sbin folder? right?

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 May 31 19:15 sbinany help is greatly appreciated.

tim_t
June 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
bumping this question again -- the problem is still there -- anyone have any ideas?

avidan
November 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
we are having the same issue. anyone know whats going on with this?

tim_t
November 14th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Update: After considerable snooping, I found some fishy looking files (directories named '.' and the like) I ran a rootkit checker program and my system had been comprimised. I'd suggest backing up your files and check for rootkits (I think the program is 'chrootkit' or so...

Good luck!